PDA

View Full Version : Brainstorming ideas on an Erza Scarlett 5E themed character

Talionis
2018-08-11, 06:41 AM
http://hero.wikia.com/wiki/Erza_Scarlet

Her signature ability is Re-Equip which allows her to change her armor and weapons while fighting.

I would think youd need to play a Gish themed character who uses Magic to be good at combat, but I'd love to see peoples takes on Erza in 5E.

Unoriginal
2018-08-11, 06:58 AM
5e doesn't really have the kind of magic items you'd need to replicate that kind of "change clothes to get different combat modes" power.

Personally, I would make a War Wizard/Fighter, or maybe a Bladesinger, and just fluff it so that each spell with a duration of more than a couple of rounds, including Concentration ones, change the outfit the character is wearing.

DanyBallon
2018-08-11, 07:11 AM
In order to translate Erza Scarlett to 5e, I would first create a new subclass, probably a fighter one based on Eldritch Knight, as Erza is mostly a fighter. I would focus the subclass around the ability to equip/un-equip weapons and armors as an action even if stowed in a different dimension. I'd give the subclass the ability to create a pocket dimension similar to a bag of holding, but that can be used only for armors and weapons that the characters bounds with and the number of items that you can bound with increase with your level. It's seventh ability could be similar to Remarkable Athlete from the Champion, and maybe on late feature that would let the character equip/un-equip as a bonus action, and one other that would allow the character to spend a spell slot to imbue a weapon or armor with magic.

You wield magic in a unique way, you can summon forth weapons and armors that you bound to yourself using your magic.

Spellcasting at 3rd level you get the Spellcasting feature exactly the same as EK with the same Abjuration, evocation limitations
Equip weapon or armor at 3rd level you learn a ritual that allows you to create a magical between a weapon or armor, and allow to call forth or dismiss it to a unique pocket dimension that only you can reach. As an action you can spend a spell slot to equip or un-equip a weapon or armor you have bonded to. At 3rd level you can bond 2 weapon or armor to you. You can bond 1 more weapon or armor every 2 levels after.
When you spend a 2nd level spell slots or higher, you can equip or un-equip a bond item per level of the spell slot in the same action (i.e. a 2nd level spell slot used this way could let you un-equip a weapon and equip another one, or let you equip an armor and a weapon before a fight)
Remarkable Athlete at 7th level you get the Remarkable Athlete feature same as for Champion
Elemental enchantement at 10th level, you can spend a spell slot to enchant a bonded weapon to add add a single elemental damage property (acid, cold, fire, lightning) to its regular damage or give elemental resistance to a bonded armor for 1 min.
Infuse magic at 15th level, your magic aptitudes fuses with your bonded items and they are always treated as magical +1 weapon or +1 armor
Improved Equip at 18th level you can equip/un-equip as a bonus action.

Design notes:
I tied the equip feature to spell slots in order to represent that Erza's magic is mostly used for equiping weapons and armor, and I think that allowing higher spell slots to equip/un-equip more items at the same time would reflect the character progression in magic aptitudes.
Remarkable Athlete it's just me didn't want to try to come up with a better solution :smalltongue:
I'm not sure about Elemental enchantment and Infuse magic features. I want to simulate that she uses different sets of armors and weapons depending who she is facing, and that her items are magical in nature, but I'd like to find a better way to do so.
Improved Equip is mostly EK's improved war magic adapted to this archetype

Talionis
2018-08-12, 05:39 PM
I am trying to do it without creating a subclass. I also am not looking for as many transformations as Ezra does in a fight.

Pact of the Blade let's you pull a magic weapon out of thin air. And it gives disguise self as an invocation.

Eldritch Knight allows weapon Bond, and heavy armor if you start in it.

Glamoured Armor can look like any kind of clothes.

There is also Handy Haversack to have a bunch of magical weapons.

You can draw one weapon a turn as a free action.

Three levels of Thief Rogue gives Fast Hands, which might also work.

DarkKnightJin
2018-08-12, 06:12 PM
Hexblade Bladelock would probably be the closest fit. Maybe a level of Fighter or Paladin to start with if you must have heavy armor.

Beyond that, I would talk to your DM about letting you have a minor magic item that pretty much acts like Glamoured armor, letting you swap its appearance as you like. Probably as a bonus action, matching the Action you'd need to (re)form your Pact Weapon.

And from what I have seen of Fairy Tail, Erza doesn't really cast magic spells in a fight. 2 levels of Paladin to get Divine Smite might be worth it for you, if you don't want to spend a pick on Eldritch Smite. While Eldritch Smite has the 'knock prone' rider, it's also limited to once per turn. And you're probably picking up Thirsting Blade for an extra attack.

I'd personally go for a Pal 6/Lock 14 split, most likely. It'd be tough to decide when to take which level so you don't fall behind too much.

mephnick
2018-08-12, 08:50 PM
Her signature ability is Re-Equip.

From what I've seen her signature ability is actually Plot Armour...literally. :p