PDA

View Full Version : Spells particularly useful/abusable underwater

martixy
2018-08-11, 08:32 AM
I'm in a high-seas campaign. I require spells that are particularly effective underwater. We have all(most) types of spellcasting - druid, cleric and a sorc.
Pathfinder spells are generally okay too, but we're a 3.5 game primarily.

Give me all your lovin.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-08-11, 09:09 AM
Major creation or wall of salt to create salt. That'll kill practically anything aquatic in the area as it dissolves. The first will act more quickly, as you can create molecular salt to disperse much more quickly.

PhantasyPen
2018-08-11, 09:10 AM
Mind Fog works underwater, as does Suggestion.

Jormengand
2018-08-11, 02:06 PM
Freedom of Movement negates the mahusive penalties which are normally inflicted just for being underwater.

Endril
2018-08-11, 02:19 PM
Water Breathing and Freedom of Movement are two of the more obvious ones.
The Spell Compendium has a few more helpful spells, like Swim, Nixie's Grace, Bouyant Lifting, and Wings of the Sea. You don't need a whole lot if you're just looking for ways to get around in water. Was there something else you were trying to do?

iTreeby
2018-08-11, 02:33 PM
Numbing sphere is awesome if you are at the ocean floor.

Heart of water is cool.

Alter self is great in or out of the water if you can do the homework.

martixy
2018-08-11, 03:30 PM
Water Breathing and Freedom of Movement are two of the more obvious ones.
The Spell Compendium has a few more helpful spells, like Swim, Nixie's Grace, Bouyant Lifting, and Wings of the Sea. You don't need a whole lot if you're just looking for ways to get around in water. Was there something else you were trying to do?

Fight underwater :D
Our party actually has water breathing and swim speeds all covered. Though I suppose Heart of Water as a L3 round/level FoM is still pretty good.

Goaty14
2018-08-11, 03:42 PM
Can't believe Control Water wasn't mentioned.

Endril
2018-08-11, 04:11 PM
Freedom of Movement (or Heart of Water) pretty much covers that, and I can't think of anything worth mentioning that comes close. If you got the money and need longer duration, the ring of freedom of movement is an obvious pick. There's also a helm of underwater action, but that doesn't do what it sounds like it does; just increases visibility and allows water breathing for a whopping 57k.

Someone mentioned control water, but all I can see that doing is raising/lowering water, which isn't likely to help in an ocean. Control wind could be interesting, if it works under water.

Raise from the Deep is another good spell for a sea campaign.

Goaty14
2018-08-11, 05:20 PM
Someone mentioned control water, but all I can see that doing is raising/lowering water, which isn't likely to help in an ocean. Control wind could be interesting, if it works under water.

???

Oh sure, being able to force a ship into a whirlpool (as a stated function of lower water), isn't at all useful for an aquatic campaign! Control Water is probably the top BFC for aquatic vehicles as raise water forces ships out of the area (coz that's how gravity works), and lower water forces ships into the area (and probably away, because they don't want to get stuck there).

iTreeby
2018-08-11, 06:00 PM
???

Oh sure, being able to force a ship into a whirlpool (as a stated function of lower water), isn't at all useful for an aquatic campaign! Control Water is probably the top BFC for aquatic vehicles as raise water forces ships out of the area (coz that's how gravity works), and lower water forces ships into the area (and probably away, because they don't want to get stuck there).

Stormwrack says that a ship in the zone of control water cannot move for the duration of the spell and must make a seaworthyness check vrs your spell save DC or founder. Floundering may wash people overboard or slow them down a bit.

Endril_69
2018-08-11, 06:11 PM
You got me with control water; I didn't read it. Although it does seem situational, since they're more likely to fight creatures than npc-filled ships. But it's a handy spell to have as an occasional 1-of if there's a chance of running into enemy pirates or whatever. Or to memorize more if that ends up being a recurring theme.

Deophaun
2018-08-11, 08:01 PM
Major creation... to create salt.
That's way too much chlorine. You only want half the salt molecule. And a fair bit of distance.

Socksy
2018-08-13, 09:54 AM
Have you tried going about it the other way, and playing something aquatic using Overland Flight and Air Breathing to get about on land?