PDA

View Full Version : Mutually exclusive players

strangebloke
2018-08-11, 09:51 AM
When one of my players can come to the campaign, the other can't, usually. They're married to each other and have a kid and getting a babysitter every week is expensive and unfun.

My plan for handling this was to let them share a character. One guy, but his personality, class, everything, just flips from time to time. I'm trying to come up with a way to make this work, and this is what I've got so far:

Both characters have to share a hit dice size and Constitution score. This means that HP is shared between them.
since this probably means that they're both spellcasters (or not) they both very simply share spell slots.

My goal is to prevent this double character from having a massive advantage over his peers over the adventuring day, by virtue of his having effectively half as long a day.

Arial Black
2018-08-11, 12:06 PM
Or you could play at their house so they can both play.

Or let them bring their kid and let it sleep somewhere/watch TV/whatever kids do.

Maelynn
2018-08-11, 12:12 PM
What Arial says. If it's possible to run the sessions at their house, I think that would be by far the easiest and considerate solution.

As for sharing a character, why not literally share a character? Have them be involved in some sort of magical incident, where they end up being fused and one single character with personality traits of both. Then you can look into making it a multiclass character, taking a few levels from each of their respective classes. Take a look at the Star Trek: Voyager episode 'Tuvix', where a transporter accident does just that to 2 of the crew.

DanyBallon
2018-08-11, 12:20 PM
or you could let them play the same character, but with two distinct personalities. Those personalities could have different alignment and goals. I wouldn't go as far as having one LG and the other CE, only because it's too cliché. Their fellow adventurer will have to deal with this split personality, so you may want to discuss this idea with your whole group to know if they are fine with it.

lperkins2
2018-08-11, 12:58 PM
I've seen this done before. While the campaign it was in had other issues, the MPD character (and associated players) weren't a problem at all (or rather, no more of a problem for sharing a character than they otherwise would have been).

One thing to be aware of is differing equipment proficiencies, which was an issue in this cause since it was a druid/wizard combo (the wizard lacked light armor proficiency, so kept waking up unable to cast spells).

A friend of mine also ran (one half of) a pair of characters this way, but they were actually 2 different physical characters. It was a pair of rangers, each with an animal companion, and each cursed. The curse would make them flip, with one essentially polymorphed into the animal companion of the other. This has the advantage that if you ever have both players present, they could temporarily both be in human form. With player buy-in, it can be lots of fun, especially in a light campaign.

BBQ Pork
2018-08-11, 01:37 PM
Consider the setup of the movie LadyHawke.

Orrmundur
2018-08-11, 02:01 PM
The Ladyhawke suggestion is a good one, especially as it's relatively easy then to have both characters be present together if both players ever are.

A Jason Blood/Etrigan scenario could also work, where they're two distinct people but only one can occupy the material plane at any time. Both of these methods also avoid any HP-sharing complications as they'll be playing completely separate characters.

But yeah, obviously playing at their house is the ideal solution. If possible.

Corran
2018-08-11, 02:12 PM
It was a pair of rangers, each with an animal companion, and each cursed. The curse would make them flip, with one essentially polymorphed into the animal companion of the other.
This! Do this! I mean the curse and the polymorphing part. Have them watch the movie Ladyhawke (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ladyhawke_(film)) for some inspiration.

IMO you don't have to make both players pick a ranger. That could even be a bit problematic since you don't want the animal companion to die when its owner is not even at the table. The character in animal form belonging to the player missing the session could just be on the background. Definitely following the party, but not necessarily from up close.

ps: Ninjas! :p. Got caught up watching the movie before completing my post...

Maelynn
2018-08-11, 03:34 PM
you don't want the animal companion to die when its owner is not even at the table. The character in animal form belonging to the player missing the session could just be on the background. Definitely following the party, but not necessarily from up close.

True, an animal companion would become involved in combat.

A pet rat, squirrel, bird, snake, that is content with a comfy warm pocket in the other character's coat. It's still a part of the party, so doesn't feel distant, and provides some roleplay options.

Beelzebubba
2018-08-11, 03:37 PM
Playing something like the UA Eladrin might work, too - they keep changing between the seasons.

lperkins2
2018-08-11, 09:59 PM
True, an animal companion would become involved in combat.

A pet rat, squirrel, bird, snake, that is content with a comfy warm pocket in the other character's coat. It's still a part of the party, so doesn't feel distant, and provides some roleplay options.

The duo in question were a raven and an eagle or some such, never used in front-line combat, just occasionally for scouting. Wizard familiar would work too.

strangebloke
2018-08-11, 11:23 PM
Or you could play at their house so they can both play.

Or let them bring their kid and let it sleep somewhere/watch TV/whatever kids do.

Thanks for all the thoughts folks.

The "play at their house" suggestion is obvious in retrospect, and indeed when I spoke to them today they were open to the idea.

This thread was initially about how to balance my initial idea, but possibly you guys have a much better perspective

Arial Black
2018-08-12, 09:49 AM
Thanks for all the thoughts folks.

The "play at their house" suggestion is obvious in retrospect, and indeed when I spoke to them today they were open to the idea.

This thread was initially about how to balance my initial idea, but possibly you guys have a much better perspective

Sometimes a fresh perspective is amazingly helpful. :smallsmile:

Happy gaming!

Keravath
2018-08-12, 02:24 PM
You could have them play a changeling with multiple personalities.

You could have them suffer from a magical curse (like Ladyhawke perhaps) where one, the other or perhaps rarely both are present at the same time. This way they could play two completely different characters and you would also be able to have them both play on the rare occasions they both make it.

The best solution, as mentioned above might be to find a play venue that works for everyone .. if they are willing/interested to have folks over.

mephnick
2018-08-12, 02:46 PM
How old is the kid? Depending on age just playing at their house or bringing the kid is definitely not going to work. But if the parents seems cool with it, give it a try. Just don't get frustrated.

lperkins2
2018-08-12, 03:43 PM
How old is the kid? Depending on age just playing at their house or bringing the kid is definitely not going to work. But if the parents seems cool with it, give it a try. Just don't get frustrated.

I've found it matters far more how predictable the kid's schedule is and how well mannered they are than how old they are. But yes, patience is a good thing when dealing with parents of young children.

username1
2018-08-12, 03:44 PM
You really can't share a character. It really is just to hard. Unless both people agree on everything, and you record every session so they can hear how they were played, it won't work. Maybe one person can call in.

mephnick
2018-08-12, 03:54 PM
I've found it matters far more how predictable the kid's schedule is and how well mannered they are than how old they are. But yes, patience is a good thing when dealing with parents of young children.

Well, manners don't really matter until like..4+, but yeah a kid that will actually sleep on a steady schedule is a godsend. That goes out the window if your 1.5 year old decides it isn't going to sleep that specific evening unfortunately. You'll have to be prepared to just call the session off at the drop of a hat.

If the kid's like 6 you can just tell them to go do something else for the most part.

lperkins2
2018-08-12, 04:05 PM
Well, manners don't really matter until like..4+,
My 18 month old would disagree with that (well, if he could talk). I've found that kids will generally rise to the level of your expectations, if you reward good (polite) behaviour, and don't reward bad (impolite) behaviour, it usually doesn't take them long to figure out how to ask nicely. Of course, that's often easier said than done.

That goes out the window if your 1.5 year old decides it isn't going to sleep that specific evening unfortunately. You'll have to be prepared to just call the session off at the drop of a hat.

That depends a lot on the layout of the house. If it's decently large, one parent can go rock the kid in another room 'till they calm down. If it's a tiny house or apartment then yeah, expect serious interruptions.

Knaight
2018-08-13, 12:32 AM

This might not work long term - hosting is work, and a sort of work that kids being around doesn't exactly make easier. Granted, a D&D game isn't some fancy soiree, and there are definitely ways to distribute hosting work away from the hosts, but it's a concern.

Maelynn
2018-08-14, 04:30 PM
This might not work long term - hosting is work, and a sort of work that kids being around doesn't exactly make easier. Granted, a D&D game isn't some fancy soiree, and there are definitely ways to distribute hosting work away from the hosts, but it's a concern.

I'm hosting both my D&D parties and it isn't work at all. It depends on what you expect, what your players expect, and what your regular household looks like.

For example, the people I play with have all been students at some point, so they're not bothered by a bit of dust on the shelves or some cat hairs on the couch. I'm not a slob, in fact I'm the cleanest of the bunch, but they don't expect me to do a cleaning session before they arrive. If you have kids, then I assume it's similar - you just know there's going to be toys scattered and a stain of spilled milk somewhere. Just make sure it's not smelly and that the table's wiped clean. ;)

As for the providing bit of hosting, for years we've had the rule "bring your own, prepare to share" as far as drinks and snacks go. You bring what you'll enjoy drinking/eating, and everybody can dig in. This doesn't put a strain on the host's wallet, it doesn't give them the worry of making sure everybody gets something they like, and it saves having to do groceries.

N810
2018-08-15, 10:38 AM

Beat me to it I was just going to mention that. :elan:

strangebloke
2018-08-15, 10:44 AM
She's two, and generally a very well-behaved kid. She's been around at a couple of house parties I've been to, and the only real concern has been ensuring she couldn't reach any cables or alcohol.

They offered to host, but I also have a spare room I offered to baby proof and set up as a play area if they'd prefer. Not a serious loss on my part because I have nieces and nephews over occasionally. Really this seems like the best solution.

GlenSmash!
2018-08-15, 10:55 AM
She's two, and generally a very well-behaved kid. She's been around at a couple of house parties I've been to, and the only real concern has been ensuring she couldn't reach any cables or alcohol.

They offered to host, but I also have a spare room I offered to baby proof and set up as a play area if they'd prefer. Not a serious loss on my part because I have nieces and nephews over occasionally. Really this seems like the best solution.

I play with a couple that has a 8 and 11 year old. We bring our 1 and 2 year olds over and put them to bed on their sofa and in a pack'n'play, and their older kids play in a play room.

By the time my kids are asleep it's 8:00 and we can usually play until 11:00 before we all us exhausted parents are too tired.

Which is to say there are a lot of solutions to this problem, even if you can't achieve the ideal.

Tetrasodium
2018-08-15, 11:30 AM
Why not go with a changeling who has a severe case of multiple personalities or chooses to very much keep his individual personas separate.

Vogie
2018-08-15, 01:37 PM
You could also have them linked in another way, similar to Kerry & Cary from the TV show Legion - Where usually it's just one or the other, but occasionally both.

If they're locked into a single character can also do a Jekyll & Hyde scenario, or choose a class like a Warlock that can act in the same role in two different ways - One plays a bladelock, while another is a tomelock - or a Wizard that switches between Bladesinger and War Mage.

dino_park
2018-08-17, 07:24 AM
I'm going back to my PC and start playing happy wheels [/URL]unblocked. I can't even read this entire post :P

ErHo
2018-08-17, 03:15 PM

This is the ONLY way!!!!