PDA

View Full Version : Stacking Initimidate

Human Paragon 3
2007-09-12, 08:19 PM
Since fear effects stack, to multiple successful intimidate checks gradually cause the subject to become more and more fearful, eventually panicking or cowering?

DaMullet
2007-09-12, 08:20 PM
Not if it was just the one guy, since the same source doesn't stack.

Now, I imagine it would work if you had more guys, because if you're fighting 10 men with swords and high Cha, you're going to me (reasonably) more scared than if you're just fighting one.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-12, 08:23 PM
Insofar as you are using the Demoralize Opponent feature of Intimidate, as that's the only type of check that actually applies a fear condition on your opponent.

Human Paragon 3
2007-09-12, 08:41 PM
Insofar as you are using the Demoralize Opponent feature of Intimidate, as that's the only type of check that actually applies a fear condition on your opponent.

Natch. Da Mullet's answer sounds right, so thats what I'll go with unless somebody dissagrees.

daggaz
2007-09-12, 09:00 PM
I could see a houseruling (not sure at all here if its supported by RAW) for letting fear stack from the same source, IF you beat your last check each time. In otherwords, if you can act even more scary, then yeah, boost the fear. Otherwise, it might just blow back in your face, if you fail your check by more than five or so since the last one... (you try to induce more fear, but end up making a fool of yourself, causing the subject to actually laugh at you a little...)

Aximili
2007-09-12, 09:06 PM
As per DMG, nothing says that applying a fear effect twice causes the the condition to worsen (i.e. twice shaken doesn't equal a frightened). Therefore, they don't stack, no mather the number of intimidators.

You could houserule that multiple intimidators cause stacking fear effects, but it would be a houserule;:smallwink:

EDIT: But I don't see the point of it. If you do get your opponent shaken via Demoralize Opponent, the effect will be over by your next round, so you have no chance of actually stacking it with a second attempt.

Townopolis
2007-09-12, 09:10 PM
As per DMG, nothing says that applying a fear effect twice causes the the condition to worsen (i.e. twice shaken doesn't equal a frightened). Therefore, they don't stack, no mather the number of intimidators.

You could houserule that multiple intimidators cause stacking fear effects, but it would be a houserule;:smallwink:

Actually, they do stack.

The SRD has it right here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#fear), and it got that from the DMG.

Aximili
2007-09-12, 09:16 PM
Actually, they do stack.

The SRD has it right here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#fear), and it got that from the DMG.
Ah, yes. I thought it was like that, but I checked the entry for Shaken, Frightened and Panicked, but none said anything about it.

In that case, you can get an opponent panicked if you manage to demoralize him twice in the same round.

AtomicKitKat
2007-09-13, 08:39 AM
Making your weapon from Pandemonic Silver(Complete Warrior gives it Alchemical Silver properties, as well as forcing all adjacent characters(should probably be within Reach IMO) to save vs Fear(Will Save) with the DC depending on the wind Strength. As long as it's unsheathed, of course. Subjugating(Heroes of Battle) forces them to save or Cower(IIRC) if hit.

Personally, I wouldn't bother getting them any further than Shaken. The main advantage of Fear effects is the -2 to saves, attacks, and some other stuff. Getting more frightened doesn't increase this, although if you can get them to Cowering, they won't be running all over the place.

If you can get a Hexblade, with a Cursespewing Weapon, that might work. *ponders*

Irreverent Fool
2007-09-13, 09:45 AM
I like the idea of a whole party making regular use of intimidate in this way. Say you're a member of a group of generic adventurer fodder --- we'll use Orcs. Sure you're big and bad and tough and wield a greataxe, but when the well-equipped party of four all suddely look directly at *YOU*, the warrior among them points his blade level at you and says 'that one first', and the others in turn tell you about all the nasty things that are going to happen you might consider getting as far away from them as you can.

Anxe
2007-09-13, 09:51 AM
My rule would be a +10 DC for every further fear condition then shaken.

Person_Man
2007-09-13, 10:24 AM
Fear effects stack. However, demoralize option of Intimidate is a very inefficient means of using Fear, because it only lasts for 1 round. And since intimidating an opponent in combat is a standard action, you're usually wasting your time.

A solid Fear build (ex: Disciple of the Eye/Avenging Executioner with the Frightening Presence feat) can quickly defeat entire armies of enemies. However, using a Fear build is often self defeating. If all of your enemies just run away on a regular basis, your DM is likely to switch over to using more enemies who aren't effected by mind affecting effects (undead, constructs, vermin, plants, Paladins, etc).

So there's really no reason for a house rule or anything similar to nerf something that is already inherently weak and situational.