PDA

View Full Version : PRCs and ACF:Dominant Ideal

Elkad
2018-08-11, 11:26 AM
Ardent into Constructor.

Ardent 6
Constructor 4 (one of which doesn't advance manifester level)

At 11th level (ML10th) I'd like to pick up Dominant Ideal (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a).

I see two ways to read this. Either I chose Dominant Ideal earlier in my career, and when I would gain the L10 mantle I automatically get Dominant instead, allowing me to take Constructor for that level.
Or I need to dip back into Ardent for a level.

Opinions? Text to back that up?

sleepyphoenixx
2018-08-11, 11:33 AM
ACFs reference class level, not character level. You need 10 levels of Ardent to get Dominant Ideal. PrCs don't count.
You also don't get any new Mantles when you PrC out.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-08-11, 11:50 AM
There are a couple of PrCs that would give you access to the ACF: legacy champion and uncanny trickster. Each grants +1 class level to all of your abilities frome one class, which should include access to ACFs. You get access at a slower rate, but you actually gain class abilities, instead of just powers known and power points, with an extra mantle after several otherwise empty levels.

You could also use some shapeshifting magic (such as via a phylactery of change or a psychoactive skin of proteus) to turn into an illithid, then dip illithid savant. You could then eat a 10th level ardent for the ACF.

Hmm. Would UA bloodline levels work for this?

Elkad
2018-08-11, 11:59 AM
ACFs reference class level, not character level. You need 10 levels of Ardent to get Dominant Ideal. PrCs don't count.
You also don't get any new Mantles when you PrC out.

DM has already ruled I do regarding the second point, considering additional mantles known an extension of powers known. Ardent is already strangled for powers known (without doing the custom mantle thing), taking away additional mantles is pretty harsh.

Since Dominant Ideal is not actually listed as an ACF in the text, would that change your reading?

sleepyphoenixx
2018-08-11, 12:04 PM
DM has already ruled I do regarding the second point, considering additional mantles known an extension of powers known. Ardent is already strangled for powers known (without doing the custom mantle thing), taking away additional mantles is pretty harsh.

Since Dominant Ideal is not actually listed as an ACF in the text, would that change your reading?

The text outright calls it an ACF.

If you later decide to make the primary mantle for which you have selected this alternative class feature into a secondary mantle, you must also swap this feature, allocating it to one of your primary mantles.

Even if it didn't it's a Class Option. For Ardents, not Constructors. It works off your class levels in the Ardent class.

Your DM may houserule otherwise (and if you're houseruling things anyway i'd suggest asking your DM) but the RAW is clear.