PDA

View Full Version : Dragonborn. Wear magic boots?

Whit
2018-08-11, 11:56 AM
Just got a pair of winged boots from AL. First magic item but can I wear them?

Unoriginal
2018-08-11, 12:01 PM
Sure, why would you not be able to?

Maelynn
2018-08-11, 12:05 PM
If you Google images for Dragonborn, you'll see that they wear their boots as some sort of shin protectors. No problem at all.

Since magic items seem to magically adjust to the wearer's size (from tiny Gnome feet to bulky Half-Orc feet, from delicate Elf fingers to plump Dwarf fingers), it's not strange to imagine the boots adjusting to a shape that lacks the lower part. At least until they're removed and attuned to someone else.

DarkKnightJin
2018-08-11, 06:47 PM
If you Google images for Dragonborn, you'll see that they wear their boots as some sort of shin protectors. No problem at all.

Since magic items seem to magically adjust to the wearer's size (from tiny Gnome feet to bulky Half-Orc feet, from delicate Elf fingers to plump Dwarf fingers), it's not strange to imagine the boots adjusting to a shape that lacks the lower part. At least until they're removed and attuned to someone else.

Part of the 'innate' magic of magic items seems to be that they can alter their form and/or size to fit each new wearer/wielder.

Personally, I'd treat this function of a magic item as part of the primer every item is enfused with to make sure the actual enchantment placed on the item sticks.

Items that can only be attuned to by a certain race, class, or alignment would be a more detailed kind of primer. A double coating before enchantment, I suppose.

No brains
2018-08-11, 09:49 PM
This isn't Morrowind. It's not illegal for lizards to wear shoes.