PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder PF Playtest: Two Weapon Fighting question

michael199310
2018-08-11, 04:25 PM
I couldn't find any rules for two weapon fighting in the Rulebook. The only thing is the Double Slice feat for Fighter and Ranger... which seems useless, unless I'm reading it wrong.

It looks like using Double Slice is basically using Strike with one weapon twice. DS uses 2 actions and has the same penalties for multiattack (so basically off-hand attack is at -5, even worse if the weapon is non agile (-7)). It doesn't add anything. With sword and shield you can at least strike, strike, use shield. So what's the point of using two weapons? Can someone clarify this for me?

Zman
2018-08-11, 04:39 PM
I couldn't find any rules for two weapon fighting in the Rulebook. The only thing is the Double Slice feat for Fighter and Ranger... which seems useless, unless I'm reading it wrong.

It looks like using Double Slice is basically using Strike with one weapon twice. DS uses 2 actions and has the same penalties for multiattack (so basically off-hand attack is at -5, even worse if the weapon is non agile (-7)). It doesn't add anything. With sword and shield you can at least strike, strike, use shield. So what's the point of using two weapons? Can someone clarify this for me?

The benefit of TWF comes from the agile trait, ie making additional attacks with your offhand attacks at -4/-8 instead of -5/-10 mainhand.

Rangers and a fighters are the only classes with built in feat support. Though, taking Fighter Dedication to pick up Double Slice is only a fear cost of 2 vs 1.

michael199310
2018-08-11, 05:23 PM
The benefit of TWF comes from the agile trait, ie making additional attacks with your offhand attacks at -4/-8 instead of -5/-10 mainhand.

Rangers and a fighters are the only classes with built in feat support. Though, taking Fighter Dedication to pick up Double Slice is only a fear cost of 2 vs 1.

You can still use agile weapon in one hand and strike twice or thrice and use -4/-8 penalty. So as for right now, it's useless. You gain no benefit from 2 weapon fighting, it's limited only to 2 classes and generally, it's only there to look cool.

EDIT: Ok, it looks like you can build your Fighter/Ranger around TWF. It's not THAT useless. But I don't think this option should be limited to 2 classes only. I mean, twin-dagger Rogue, c'mon, it's more popular than Ranger with 2 swords.

Zman
2018-08-11, 05:39 PM
You can still use agile weapon in one hand and strike twice or thrice and use -4/-8 penalty. So as for right now, it's useless. You gain no benefit from 2 weapon fighting, it's limited only to 2 classes and generally, it's only there to look cool.

EDIT: Ok, it looks like you can build your Fighter/Ranger around TWF. It's not THAT useless. But I don't think this option should be limited to 2 classes only. I mean, twin-dagger Rogue, c'mon, it's more popular than Ranger with 2 swords.

Your mainhand weapon will have a bigger damage die for your first attack.

Slithery D
2018-08-11, 07:09 PM
Double Slice isn’t useless, it eliminates the -4 or -5 penalty on your second attack. You then take the usual -8 or -10 on any third attack.

michael199310
2018-08-12, 04:15 AM
Double Slice isn’t useless, it eliminates the -4 or -5 penalty on your second attack. You then take the usual -8 or -10 on any third attack.

Wait, so you're saying, that Double Slice applies penalty after the off-hand attack, meaning that you can get 2 attacks with standard bonus and THEN apply penalty as if you would strike twice? Well then, it's actually pretty good. Shame that the feat is cryptic. Thanks!

Firechanter
2018-08-12, 06:32 AM
Yes. As I've started to discuss here,
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?566284-Pathfinder-2-Playtest-Fighting-Styles

Double Slice is (at least at low levels) the best single-target damage tactic. Haven't examined the higher levels yet, but at a glance it seems to remain useful or maybe even get still better further up.

Zman
2018-08-12, 07:09 AM
Yep, double slice is solid. You’re second attack is either at -2 or if agile at no additional penalty.

I don’t see it’s usefulness going away.

michael199310
2018-08-12, 01:57 PM
Yep, double slice is solid. You’re second attack is either at -2 or if agile at no additional penalty.

I don’t see it’s usefulness going away.

I thought that off-hand strike is at -5, that's why it didn't make sense to me. Thank you for clarification.