PDA

View Full Version : Vīs gender OR Sneak attack preview of my possible project

LM TR
2007-09-12, 08:25 PM
donīt know how to formulate this

this is a sneak (attack) preview of a project I might develop (it seems to be OOTS-related but is eventually only indirectly doing so), and I only want you people to tell me to
a) continue
or
b) abandon the project immediately

Sheriff of Moddingham: Image violating the Rules of Posting and Rich's intellectual property rights removed. P.S. I vote for option "b".

BRC
2007-09-12, 08:39 PM
unless you drew those OOTS characters yourself, I would suggjest dropping it, the Giant dosn't like people using his work.

wojonatior
2007-09-12, 09:00 PM
commie has a good point beacuse i think the chars might be copywrighted.

Yoritomo Himeko
2007-09-12, 09:07 PM
commie has a good point beacuse i think the chars might be copywrighted.

Yeah, the characters are copyrighted. But if you draw the characters yourself, you should be fine. I don't think he minds using his characters for parody/ fanart work, but you might want to check that out.

Anyway, if this is some kind of fanwork, keep working on it. I'd love to see how it turns out.

Jasdoif
2007-09-12, 09:30 PM
Since this kind of thing came up rather recently:
Well, this is one of those unfortunate times in the life of someone who creates IP for a living...

I'm going to have to ask that you stop working on this. I can't allow anyone other than myself or designated representatives to use the OOTS characters in an animation. The use of OOTS characters is not freely permitted, because to allow anyone to do so can cause me to lose the characters' trademark status, and thus my ability to support myself using them. It doesn't make a difference whether the animation is for profit or not; now that someone has pointed this thread out to me, I must ask that it stop.

You would be free to use your own stick figure characters in an animation, but your animations/artboards are currently exact copies of my characters. Using them without permission is only allowed by law under a specific tightly-defined set of circumstances (parody, academic use, or excerpting for review), and this animation doesn't fall under any of those.

I'm sorry you went through this work, but you should have asked permission to use the OOTS characters before beginning this project. I would have still been required to decline, but at least you would have known beforehand instead of after the fact.

NikkTheTrick
2007-09-12, 10:53 PM
I'd say it fits well under the parody use. Especially given that it is on the OotS forum...

Kreistor
2007-09-12, 10:59 PM
You can parody, but you can't cut-paste someone else's work. It's pretty clear this is what the OP did.

LM TR
2007-09-13, 06:45 AM
the oots chars will only appear in the probable first strip which is a parody of what might happen in the last OOTS strip, and a way to start the possible storyline which will include OOTS-style, but not OOTS-chars
since Iīm not too familiar with Photoshop in the moment, of course this was copy and paste action
hope I can finish the first strip some time and then you will see what I mean...

Ancalagon
2007-09-13, 08:42 AM
Suggestions:
a) Drop oots completely. Why? Because out of respect of the Author. Maybe it really is parody (I doubt you can make a "clear" parody of oots anyway for longer than two or three comics) and he cannot sue (do something about it) you, but you still "steal" his reputation. If you like Oots, you should not do something sneaky like that.

b) Spend two or three more months with the program you want to use to create your stuff. This way the result will look better and it seems you know what you are doing. Crappy art is a good reason not to read a webcomic (no, I do not mean "simple" art or so, but stuff where you can see that the creator just is not able to do better and does not have the simpliest ideo how to use the programs he has installed; again, three months of playing around before going to the net can fix a lot).

LM TR
2007-09-13, 11:03 AM
strip 1 is meant as a tribute to the author, I do respect him 100%, like I said the characters will only appear in strip 1, the story afterwards will be different, set in another plane of reality so to say; there is a good reason why I use copied and not self-drawn characters anyway that you will see when strip 1 is done

and yeah, I will spend time learning to use the software, itīs only so that I tend to do one thing today and a different tomorrow, so I have to finish strip 1 now even by using copy and paste style, donīt know if you understand, whatever

Roland St. Jude
2007-09-30, 11:46 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: If you respected the author, even 10%, let alone 100%, you would: 1) not use his intellectual property in a manner that is clearly contrary to his wishes and 2) respect the rules of his message board by not restarting threads on this and reposting such images.

Please don't use Rich's characters in this fashion, particularly images drawn by him, especially not here where it violates our Rules of Posting.