PDA

View Full Version : Morphing Shield

cartejos
2018-08-11, 08:50 PM
Is there an ability or enchantment that would allow a shield to change between the forms of small, light, heavy? I feel as if I had read about something like this somewhere, but it escapes me. Thanks for the help in advance.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-08-11, 08:55 PM
Variable Shield enhancement, + 1 bonus, magic item compendium page 15.

cartejos
2018-08-11, 08:58 PM
Can't believe I didn't check there first, thank you

noob
2018-08-12, 03:39 AM
You can also use the morphing and sizing weapon enchantment since shields are weapons too due to how you can use them to deal shield bashes.
The interest is that weapon enchantments and armour enchantments are separate so if you had a huge total of armour enchantment on that shield it can save money.

cartejos
2018-08-12, 06:26 AM
So a +1 Morphing//+1 arrow catching (or something else) should would be cheaper than a +1 variable arrow catching?
Well a +2 weapon is 4k gp, and a +3 weapon is 9k, 2 +2s put on a shield would be cheaper than a +3, hmm

Darrin
2018-08-12, 06:32 AM
Flying Force Surfboard (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=10294124&postcount=5).

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-08-12, 06:47 AM
And a morphing shield (bash) could allow you to turn the shield into other weapons, as well. Sizing would be great, too; you could cut off hallways with a shield shaped to wedge itself really tightly into the walls, ceiling, and floor, making it nigh impossible to move from one side. Don't forget to add shield spikes for extra security. And make it from riverine.

Especially nice if you have sizing, as you could make it from a Fine-sized riverine arrow, add morphing and sizing, and turn it into a Colossal spiked shield, if you want. Then start adding shield and other weapon enhancements. Or make it from aurorum, instead, so you don't have to worry about sundering.

If you fashion it into a -2 cursed sword, you never have to worry about losing it, either. And you could even dual-wield a single weapon that way, since it would teleport to each hand as you attack with it. That'd make it a bit harder to fight while it's wedged into a hallway, however.

Khedrac
2018-08-12, 06:59 AM
So a +1 Morphing//+1 arrow catching (or something else) should would be cheaper than a +1 variable arrow catching?
Well a +2 weapon is 4k gp, and a +3 weapon is 9k, 2 +2s put on a shield would be cheaper than a +3, hmm

I don't think this holds, remember weapon enchantment costs are double that of armour or shields.
A +2 equivalent weapon is 8k not 4k, so the +1 morphing //+1 arrow catching shield is 12k while the +1 variable arrow catching shield is 9k. The +3 equivalent shield is cheaper.

cartejos
2018-08-12, 07:18 AM
Firstly, I did miss that, I thought the rule was always bonus squared times 2k, but it is only 1k for armor and shield.

Secondly, the Morphic property would not work for what is wanted. Morphic transforms the weapon into another weapon of the same category. For a Light Shield, Martial Light, Heavy Shield is Martial One-Handed, buckler and tower shields aren't weapons either.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-08-12, 07:49 AM
Firstly, I did miss that, I thought the rule was always bonus squared times 2k, but it is only 1k for armor and shield.

Secondly, the Morphic property would not work for what is wanted. Morphic transforms the weapon into another weapon of the same category. For a Light Shield, Martial Light, Heavy Shield is Martial One-Handed, buckler and tower shields aren't weapons either.The bashing enhancement (DMG) means a buckler is doable as a weapon.

sleepyphoenixx
2018-08-12, 08:17 AM
The bashing enhancement (DMG) means a buckler is doable as a weapon.

Nope.

(Only light and heavy shields can have this ability.)

Even if you get it on a buckler by "cheating" with Variable it'll just go nonfunctional until you turn it into a light/heavy shield again because bucklers can't be Bashing.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-08-12, 09:52 AM
Nope.

Even if you get it on a buckler by "cheating" with Variable it'll just go nonfunctional until you turn it into a light/heavy shield again because bucklers can't be Bashing.I guess you're right. The place I looked it up only specified tower shields.

This shield is made to make a shield bash. No matter what the size of the attacker, a large bashing shield deals 1d8 points of damage and a small bashing shield deals 1d6 points of damage. The shield acts as a +1 weapon when used to bash. (Tower shields cannot be bashing shields.)
Aura: Moderate transmutation
Caster Level: 8th
Requirements: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Bull's Strength
Price: +1 bonus