PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Does Revenant blade work with most normal swords?

Bannan_mantis
2018-08-12, 11:05 AM
I was thinking if there was a way for someone to use a heavy weapon with finesse and luckily the revenant blade feat did just that... or did it? it says any double edged blade so I would think greatswords, longswords, shortswords etc. would gain it's benefits but in the book it gives a example of a double edged scimitar so does the effects of the feat work on weapons that you would normally think to be double edged.

PrismCat21
2018-08-12, 02:53 PM
What is the name of this feat, and what system and edition is the game?
I don't remember a feat called Revenant Blade, but there is a Prestige Class in D&D 3.5. It deals specifically with Valenar Elves and the Valenar Double Scimitar.

Bannan_mantis
2018-08-12, 05:55 PM
Oh my apologies, I am talking about a feat from Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron, it's from 5th edition and the name of the feat is Revenant blade.

LibraryOgre
2018-08-12, 07:28 PM
The Mod Wonder: Moved

Exocist
2018-08-12, 08:10 PM
I was thinking if there was a way for someone to use a heavy weapon with finesse and luckily the revenant blade feat did just that... or did it? it says any double edged blade so I would think greatswords, longswords, shortswords etc. would gain it's benefits but in the book it gives a example of a double edged scimitar so does the effects of the feat work on weapons that you would normally think to be double edged.

Not double-edged weapon but double-bladed weapon is the wording on the feat. So you could make a standard weapon with two blades, but it would probably be a new weapon then.

ProsecutorGodot
2018-08-13, 10:18 AM
I would say not, the wording of the feat seems to imply that the "double-bladed" aspect has to involve blades at opposite sides of the weapon.

There is also a note at the bottom of the feat on DND beyond that says:

To gain the weapon benefits of this feat, equip a revenant double-bladed scimitar or create your own similar weapon.

This actually only further complicates things because "Revenant Double Bladed Scimitar" and "Double Bladed Scimitar" are different things and a strict reading of raw means that you need the magical variant (already preloaded with half the feat) or a homebrewed weapon to make use of any of the weapon based features. I assume this is an oversight.

Unless your DM is willing to say that you can strap two greatswords to each other at the haft. Wayfinder's Guide is playtest content currently and encourages DM's to be creative with their uses of it however, and I could see a strong argument being presented in favor of allowing players to do just that.

DivisibleByZero
2018-08-13, 12:15 PM
Did I read that correctly?
Did you seriously just say that you could see a strong argument for allowing players to strap two greatswords together at the haft?

nickl_2000
2018-08-13, 12:19 PM
Did you seriously just say that you could see a strong argument for allowing players to strap two greatswords together at the haft?

But, but, but

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/022/440/1c1.png

(note, for some reason it won't let me post images)

Kadesh
2018-08-13, 12:22 PM
FEAT: REVENANT BLADE
Prerequisite: Elf
You are descended from a master of the double blade and their skills have passed on to you. You gain the following benefits:
• Increase your Dexterity or Strength score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
• While wielding a double-bladed weapon with two hands, the weapon has the finesse trait for your attacks with it, and you gain +1 AC.
• On your turn, when you use a bonus action to make a melee attack with the blade at the opposite end of the weapon, the weapon’s damage die for this attack increases to 2d4, instead of 1d4.
If you have a double-bladed weapon, sure. The only double-bladed weapon in existence in 5E so far is the double-bladed Scimitar - no other weapon is described as being double bladed.

DivisibleByZero
2018-08-13, 12:23 PM
A greatsword is heavy and two handed.
It is heavy and you need two hands to wield one of them. How many extra hands do you have to wield the other one?

GlenSmash!
2018-08-13, 12:50 PM
It is heavy and you need two hands to wield one of them. How many extra hands do you have to wield the other one?

Four! I mean four total. Two extra.

Whew, tough question.

ProsecutorGodot
2018-08-13, 12:53 PM

As it stands, double bladed weapons are homebrew so in a homebrew setting where Large characters can exist, they would easily be able to wield such a weapon. It would be fun, it would be a memorable event at the table and it makes about as much sense as strapping two smaller swords together at the handle.

You only technically need two hands to attack with the weapon, you would be able to wield two greatswords perfectly fine. If we assume that the logic behind the Two Handed trait is because of your grip on the handle (there's no evidence for or against this assumption) then strapping them together at the handle would fix that issue.

I didn't say that I could make a good argument for it balance wise.

DivisibleByZero
2018-08-13, 05:36 PM
I didn't say that I could make a good argument for it balance wise.

.... Which means you can't make a good argument for it all.
Okay. Thanks.

ProsecutorGodot
2018-08-13, 06:04 PM
.... Which means you can't make a good argument for it all.
Okay. Thanks.

Well that's rude, DM's are encouraged to run the game how they like and if they want a double bladed greatsword they're allowed to make one. It's not all about the numbers.

Corpsecandle717
2018-08-14, 10:07 AM

Pumpkin scissors (Anime) had a pretty good visual implementation of just that. The wielder used armored boots to kick around the blades when she needed leverage. Looked pretty cool. Completely ridiculous, but made for some pretty awesome combat scenes. No idea how to balance that for DnD lol.

GlenSmash!
2018-08-14, 12:04 PM
Pumpkin scissors (Anime) had a pretty good visual implementation of just that. The wielder used armored boots to kick around the blades when she needed leverage. Looked pretty cool. Completely ridiculous, but made for some pretty awesome combat scenes. No idea how to balance that for DnD lol.

To balance it for D&D you use a Greatsword or Glaive or whatever you think is closest and refluff it as "Pumpkin Scissors".

Corpsecandle717
2018-08-14, 01:06 PM
To balance it for D&D you use a Greatsword or Glaive or whatever you think is closest and refluff it as "Pumpkin Scissors".

Oh yeah sure, take the easy way out. LOL.

Clarification: The name of the show was Pumpkin Scissors, I don't remember what the heck the called the sword, but they claimed it was originally intended for Calvary against light infantry and this one family decided to create new style for melee with it. If anyone is at all interested. (Probably not)

Daithi
2018-08-14, 07:45 PM
Would a standard double-sided greataxe technically qualify?

Exocist
2018-08-14, 11:28 PM

Something like this? (https://www.medievalcollectibles.com/images/PRODUCT/large/MC-HK-1098_2_.png) You could say that that's a double bladed weapon (having two distinct axe parts) but you could equally say it's a double-edged weapon (having one axe part with two edges). Ultimately it's up in the air and there's no stats for a greataxe like that (IIRC The D&D greataxe standardly looks like this (https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/dnd4/images/5/50/17thCenturyVikingAxe.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150119151314) - image from 4e). The standard greataxe does actually look like that according to 4e and 3.5e.

Indisputably, something like this (https://dmgaming.pbworks.com/f/1223565653/DoubleAxe.JPG) would be a double-bladed weapon. However, if you were looking for a realistic weapon, it doesn't fit the bill. Also, it's unstatted.

AvvyR
2018-08-14, 11:42 PM

Sheesh, at this point, you may as well say all halberds qualify.

"It's an axe AND a hook AND a spear!"

Exocist
2018-08-15, 01:17 AM
Sheesh, at this point, you may as well say all halberds qualify.

"It's an axe AND a hook AND a spear!"

Couldn't a sword qualify as well? The Hilt is an improvised club.

Oh wait, it said Double-Bladed? What if I attach a dagger to the end of my sword?

DivisibleByZero
2018-08-15, 04:05 AM
Couldn't a sword qualify as well? The Hilt is an improvised club.

Oh wait, it said Double-Bladed? What if I attach a dagger to the end of my sword?

Clearly we are meant to attach two lances together.
Duh

Corran
2018-08-15, 04:13 AM
Four! I mean four total. Two extra.

Whew, tough question.
So... how many of these weapons would a Marilith be able to wield?

Kane0
2018-08-15, 04:15 AM
Mate, the Dire Flail is the weapon you need.

Boci
2018-08-15, 04:53 AM
(IIRC The D&D greataxe standardly looks like this (https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/dnd4/images/5/50/17thCenturyVikingAxe.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150119151314) - image from 4e).

I don't think you do recall correctly, here's the weapon images from the 4th ed players handbook:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/dnd4/images/0/01/DNDWeapons4thEd2-1024x739.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20131206045813

And here from 3.5:

http://www.beerandbattle.com/wp2/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/DNDWeapons3.5Ed1.jpg

Exocist
2018-08-15, 05:09 AM
snip

My bad, I will edit. Seems I got the battleaxe confused with the greataxe.

Clearly we are meant to attach two lances together.
Duh

That doesn't work because lances are pointed, not bladed. Clearly we need to stick two Scythes together.

Boci
2018-08-15, 05:16 AM
My bad, I will edit. Seems I got the battleaxe confused with the greataxe.

On a potentially interesting side note, Pathfinder decided that not only where they going to stick with 3.5's double bladed greataxe design, but they would also design the battleaxe that way, to the point where unlabled I could easily get them mixed up:

PF greataxe
http://www.beerandbattle.com/wp2/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/DNDWeaponsPathfinder1.jpg

PF battleaxe
http://www.beerandbattle.com/wp2/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/DNDWeaponsPathfinder2.jpg

COLOR="#0000FF"]That doesn't work because lances are pointed, not bladed. Clearly we need to stick two Scythes together.[/COLOR]

So if you glue a dagger to your opponent's double weapon, do they lose the benefit of Revenant blade since they are now wielding a triple bladed weapon?

Corran
2018-08-15, 05:43 AM
So if you glue a dagger to your opponent's double weapon, do they lose the benefit of Revenant blade since they are now wielding a triple bladed weapon?
I would allow it, though I would require a successful sleight of hands check from the player. Rouges with fast hands would even be able to try it at a bonus action. Who needs disarming strike or heat metal now?!

Exocist
2018-08-15, 05:45 AM

Isn't a triple bladed weapon still a double bladed weapon? I mean, it still has two blades on it right?

Also I'm sigging that

Boci
2018-08-15, 06:45 AM
Isn't a triple bladed weapon still a double bladed weapon? I mean, it still has two blades on it right?

Also I'm sigging that

Yay, I'm sigged.