PDA

View Full Version : Best Cantrips for a Divine Sorceror/Warlock?

prototype00
2018-08-12, 07:53 PM
I am making an Eldritch Blaster for AL and have mostly finished save the cantrips:

I have:

Eldritch Blast
Guidance
Friends

But am having trouble deciding what else to take (so many!)

Any advice?

NecessaryWeevil
2018-08-12, 08:00 PM
Mage Hand has many uses.

8wGremlin
2018-08-12, 08:03 PM
Column A (take both)

Eldritch Blast
Guidance

Column B (pick one)

Booming blade
Minor illusion
Prestidigitation
Shocking grasp

CTurbo
2018-08-12, 08:06 PM
Eldritch Blast
Guidance
Booming Blade
Minor Illusion
Mage Hand

prototype00
2018-08-12, 08:14 PM
Good suggestions! I can’t pick the SCAG cantrips (Booming and Green Flame Blade) due to AL rules though. Would Shocking Grasp be a good tactical replacement?

8wGremlin
2018-08-12, 08:40 PM
Good suggestions! I can’t pick the SCAG cantrips (Booming and Green Flame Blade) due to AL rules though. Would Shocking Grasp be a good tactical replacement?

Shocking grasp is useful, cast it and hopefully you should walk away without repercussions.

CTurbo
2018-08-12, 08:58 PM
Yes Shocking Grasp is great for when you want to get away

Keravath
2018-08-12, 10:21 PM
Warlock gets two and sorcerer gets four to start for a total of six.

Must have (IMHO :) ):
Eldritch blast
Guidance

Utility:
Prestidigitation - cool for role playing
Minor Illusion - as many uses as you can imagine
Mage Hand - some utility opening things from a distance - better for an arcane trickster rogue - but sometimes useful
Light - if you don't have darkvision/devils sight or some way to see in the dark
Friends - very short duration charm - I only find it useful when combined with disguise self at will since otherwise there is a good chance that 60 seconds after using it there will be someone angry chasing you

Offence:
Firebolt - to hit - both objects and creatures
Shocking Grasp - to hit - touch range - no reaction
Chill touch - to hit - no regen
Toll the dead - save - necrotic damage (d12/d8)
Sacred Flame - save - radiant damage

I usually don't take Friends unless I also have the Warlock Disguise Self invocation since Friends has such a short duration.

I find the ability to hit anything with firebolt to be situationally useful. Eldritch blast can only target creatures.

Shocking grasp can do some damage and save you using disengage .. depends on what you can do at melee range and how often you find yourself forced into melee range.

Toll the dead is only on the warlock list. It has the greatest damage potential for a cantrip if used against an already damaged target.

Basically, you swap between utility and offence. I would probably go with the two essential ones, two utility and two offense ... though you could mix it up however you like. It depends on how much mileage you find you get from the utility cantrips, how much versatility you get from the attack cantrips and to some extent what the character might prefer based on role play considerations.

Crgaston
2018-08-12, 10:26 PM
Create Bonfire! It’s a free use of your concentration if you’re low on slots. Plus you can Repelling Blast foes into it. And, if you drop it on someone who is engaged in melee they can either stay and try to save or move and possibly draw an AoO.

DarkKnightJin
2018-08-13, 02:06 AM
Remember that Celestial Warlock gets the Light and Sacred Flame cantrips for free at level one.

I couldn't see what type of Warlock you were going for.
I would highly suggest Prestidigitation, Toll the Dead, and Guidance for the Sorcerer cantrips, and grab Eldritch Blast and something else from the Warlock list. Shocking Grasp should be one of your pick if you expect to be in melee range with enemies and need an 'out'.

Effectively, you have 2 open picks.
I would see what's on both the Warlock and Sorcerer lists and pick one of the 'sorc' things as the second Warlock cantrip. Like Mage Hand or Minor Illusion.

This leaves you with some options from the Sorcerer and Cleric cantrip lists.

prototype00
2018-08-13, 02:40 AM
Ah, forgot to say, the Warlock side is Hexblade.