PDA

View Full Version : Player Help AL legal tempest deity

kenGarff
2018-08-13, 01:12 AM
I want to play AL-legal tempest cleric.
I was told that I must follow a tempest-domain deity.
However, I'd really like to have a tempest deity with good alignment.
Which tempest deity is of good alignment that is AL legal?
Also, if I chose a deity listed in SCAG, does SCAG count as my +1 source to the PHB+1 rule? Or is source of deity exempt from the +1 rule much like the backgrounds?
I'd really appreciate your help

side note: The reason for wanting to play AL is personal, and not a good one. Its very unfortunate. It sucks!

CTurbo
2018-08-13, 01:56 AM
I want to play AL-legal tempest cleric.
I was told that I must follow a tempest-domain deity.
However, I'd really like to have a tempest deity with good alignment.
Which tempest deity is of good alignment that is AL legal?
Also, if I chose a deity listed in SCAG, does SCAG count as my +1 source to the PHB+1 rule? Or is source of deity exempt from the +1 rule much like the backgrounds?
I'd really appreciate your help

side note: The reason for wanting to play AL is personal, and not a good one. Its very unfortunate. It sucks!

I had a similar issue searching for a non-evil Tempest Deity and I think I ended up with Zeus

kenGarff
2018-08-13, 02:00 AM
I had a similar issue searching for a non-evil Tempest Deity and I think I ended up with Zeus

Is Zeus legal in AL? It seems like AL allows for deities in Forgotten realm and nonhuman deities of certain books. I am not sure if Zeus, thor, etc are part of that. If so, that would be so awesome.

Also, in AL, if I choose a god from SCAG, does that count as +1 for PHB+1 rule?

CTurbo
2018-08-13, 02:02 AM
Is Zeus legal in AL? It seems like AL allows for deities in Forgotten realm and nonhuman deities of certain books. I am not sure if Zeus, thor, etc are part of that. If so, that would be so awesome.

Also, in AL, if I choose a god from SCAG, does that count as +1 for PHB+1 rule?

Not sure if Zeus is AL legal or not, but I think SCAG can be the +1, but not 100% on that either lol

kenGarff
2018-08-13, 02:05 AM
Not sure if Zeus is AL legal or not, but I think SCAG can be the +1, but not 100% on that either lol

Ah, ok. I am not willing to choose a +1 simply for a deity. I hope (1) Zeus and Thor are AL legal (2) book in which I choose a god from does not count towards +1 rule. That would suck haha. But if this becomes a hassle, I might just play something else that is not cleric...maybe a monk or a fighter I don't know lol. Thanks by the way for the help!

CTurbo
2018-08-13, 02:25 AM
Tempest Clerics are awesome! Grab an evil one if you have to.

DonaldT
2018-08-13, 03:47 AM
All CG, from the Player's Handbook, there's Deep Sashelas, the elven god of the sea, and from SCAG, Valkur, the Nortlander god of sailors, and Aerdrie Faenya, elven goddess of the sky.

Oramac
2018-08-13, 07:35 AM
Deep Sashelas

This is the deity I chose when I played in AL. IIRC, she's technically not a Forgotten Realms deity, but nobody really cares about that in my experience.

Snowbluff
2018-08-13, 08:14 AM
I think In season 8 you can be any domain with any deity.
Which makes me mad because I have to settle with Akadi to be a good tempest guy now, and in the future they're making it not matter.
I'd rather have a deity that was good and tempest. :l

Keravath
2018-08-13, 08:54 AM
From the DDAL season 8 players guide:
https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/ALPGv80.pdf

Deities.
Your character may worship any deity listed in Deities of the Forgotten Realms and Nonhuman Deities table in the Player’s Handbook or any of the deities mentioned in the resources in Step 1& 2, above. Clerics must worship a specific deity but aren’t limited to the Domains recommended for their deity.

The resources in Steps 1&2 are:

Players Hand Book
Elemental Evil Player’s Companion (EEPC)
Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide (SCAG)
Volo’s Guide to Monsters (VGM)
Xanathar’s Guide to Everything (XGE)
Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes (ToF)

The deity selection is listed in the same section as background which is not covered by the +1 rule but I can't find an explicit ruling about Deity selection and the +1 rule.

However, clerics are not limited to the Domains recommended for their deity. As a result, you can play a tempest cleric of ANY god. For example, even the god of agriculture might have an off day ... or it reflects the natural cycle of weather. There are a large number of role play reasons for having a tempest cleric of a deity perhaps not normally associated with storms. (This would make it much easier to choose a good aligned god for your storm cleric).

DonaldT
2018-08-13, 06:46 PM
Deep Sashelas is a non-human deity, and they were always considered legal choices.

CTurbo
2018-08-13, 07:13 PM
I chose Kord for one of my Tempests

kenGarff
2018-08-13, 07:20 PM
I chose Kord for one of my Tempests

How did you RP your character?
Isn't Kord almost entirely a mystery, or at least a minor deity that we don't know too much about?
I know he's a CG deity (not sure if greater or less or intermediate) who is all about valor and honor but nothing more.

CTurbo
2018-08-13, 11:38 PM
How did you RP your character?
Isn't Kord almost entirely a mystery, or at least a minor deity that we don't know too much about?
I know he's a CG deity (not sure if greater or less or intermediate) who is all about valor and honor but nothing more.

He's a CG Intermediate deity. He's all about strength and courage. This Tempest(I've played 3) was a high Strength melee oriented Cleric that I played like a cocky jock. He was a good and fair guy, just overly confident. I did prioritize Str over Wis and he had a good Con and Cha too. I think his stats were 20 Str, 12 Dex, 16 Con, 8 Int, 16 Wis, 14 Cha and he primarily used a Greatsword. Yes I know not your typical Cleric, but I love the Tempest domain and had already played your typical maxed Wis Tempest so I wanted something different. I did try to play his 8 Int as always having an idea, it was just usually ranging from not very good to terrible lol. Like offering to kick the door down instead of having the Rogue pick the lock in a dungeon where everybody was trying to be quiet. So he wasn't exactly DUMB per say, but definitely not the smartest. He wore Plate and had the Heavy Armor Mastery feat so he was very tanky.

kenGarff
2018-08-13, 11:44 PM
I am thinking about playing it like a barbarian. Sounds like Thor but I was actually inspired by Natsu from the anime series from Far Tails. I'd like the character to be someone who has a kind heart but doesn't particularly care much for laws, likes to boast his powers, and is rather loud. He's going to think he's slick but he's not really charismatic and comes off as annoying. He's eager to fight but he's not going to storm a castle (mainly because I don't want to ruin my party's experience lol). He's really into valor, honor, and just having a good time but he's never going to kick somebody that's down. He will smash an evil dude's face into the ground though. I'd like the relationship between him and the god to be rather laid back where my character "prays" by simply having a good conversation with the god and being bros. I've not played any weird/funny character so I'd like this to be such case!

And it sounds like Kord will be a very good god to go for!

What's difference between a cleric and a paladin from a roleplaying perspective?

KorvinStarmast
2018-08-14, 09:07 AM
What's difference between a cleric and a paladin from a roleplaying perspective? The paladin is all about her oath and if you look at the PHB description of the paladin class, all about turning back evil in one way or another.

The cleric is all about serving her deity.

xroads
2018-08-14, 11:32 AM
The paladin is all about her oath and if you look at the PHB description of the paladin class, all about turning back evil in one way or another.

The cleric is all about serving her deity.

To add on to that, paladins don't even have to be religious. They don't need to follow any god.

If it helps, unlike previous editions, clerics don't need to match the alignment of their gods. You can be good and worship an evil god. Your RP reasons may have to be a bit creative. But not by much (ex. "I worship the mighty Destructo to appease him and keep from slaying all!").

hwem
2018-08-14, 11:55 AM
How is a tempest clerics damage output at higher levels?

CTurbo
2018-08-14, 12:05 PM
How is a tempest clerics damage output at higher levels?

It's awesome! Being able to max Thunder/Lightning damage 2 or 3(at level 18) times per short rest is great. Thunderwave, Shatter, and Call Lightning all upcast pretty well as does Spiritual Weapon and Spirit Guardians. Just build around being able to maintain concentration.

Oh yeah and Destructive Wave can do 30+5d6 damage to an entire battlefield of enemies.

hwem
2018-08-14, 12:06 PM
It's awesome! Being able to max Thunder/Lightning damage 2 or 3(at level 18) times per short rest is great. Thunderwave, Shatter, and Call Lightning all upcast pretty well as does Spiritual Weapon and Spirit Guardians. Just build around being able to maintain concentration.

Awesome! Though I don’t plan to start a new character anytime soon, Would you say for a tempest cleric, both war caster and resilience (dex or con) are good enough?

kenGarff
2018-08-14, 12:12 PM
Ah ok. I do plan on making a tempest cleric of kord as the following:

- acts very similarity to Natsu of Fairy Tail. He’s boastful and loud and not the brightest but he’s wise enough to understand his weaknesses. He’s also friendly and laid back but not too charismatic (except for plot armor I think Natsu if in real life would be annoying to say the least lol)
- believes in the code of valor and honor: enjoys a good fight to show off his might against a good opponent but will not make it beyond a good sport unless he must kill which he has no problems with if against an evildoer (child molester or a war criminal)
- worships abd has a “nightly” conversations with Kord. He “sacrifices” true evil as a present to Kord when he can.
- he is CG and has a similar personality to Kord but with a dry sense of humor.

I thought about making my character like a evil dude but that would really annoy my friends and I intend not to do that for the sake of their fun as well.

Also would you say a variant human is just as good as a hill dwarf for a tempest cleric mechanically?

CTurbo
2018-08-14, 12:19 PM
Awesome! Though I don’t plan to start a new character anytime soon, Would you say for a tempest cleric, both war caster and resilience (dex or con) are good enough?

Depending on how you want to play him, I don't think you really NEED both Res(Con) and Warcaster, but yeah they do work well together and would be great. If you REALLY plan on being on the front lines all the time with an important Concentration spell like Spirit Guardians or Bless I say go for both of them.

If you think you'll only occasionally be in melee, just get one or the other.

CTurbo
2018-08-14, 12:29 PM
Ah ok. I do plan on making a tempest cleric of kord as the following:

- acts very similarity to Natsu of Fairy Tail. He’s boastful and loud and not the brightest but he’s wise enough to understand his weaknesses. He’s also friendly and laid back but not too charismatic (except for plot armor I think Natsu if in real life would be annoying to say the least lol)
- believes in the code of valor and honor: enjoys a good fight to show off his might against a good opponent but will not make it beyond a good sport unless he must kill which he has no problems with if against an evildoer (child molester or a war criminal)
- worships abd has a “nightly” conversations with Kord. He “sacrifices” true evil as a present to Kord when he can.
- he is CG and has a similar personality to Kord but with a dry sense of humor.

I thought about making my character like a evil dude but that would really annoy my friends and I intend not to do that for the sake of their fun as well.

Also would you say a variant human is just as good as a hill dwarf for a tempest cleric mechanically?

Sounds like a good build idea.

I'd give Variant human the nod here over Hill Dwarf since you can start with Res(Con), Warcaster, or Heavy Armor Mastery. Remember, being able to start off with Res(Con) or Heavy Armor Mastery allows you to start off with +1 to 3 stats instead of two.

You'll likely have +2 hp more per level as a Hill Dwarf and slightly higher Con which would help with your Con checks. If you really don't care about attacking with a weapon, you can stick a 13-14 in Str and still wear heavy armor and just pump Wis and Con.

You'll need at least 15 Str to qualify for heavy armor as a human and if you care about weapon attacks, you'll want at least a 16 there meaning your Con will likely stay at 14. Not the end of the world.

Hill Dwarf would start 14 Str, 16 Con, 16 Wis with an extra +1 hp per level while vhuman would start 16 Str, 14 Con, 16 Wis but also have a feat. Dwarves do get better racial features though so keep that in mind too. Of course you COULD start 16, 16, 16, 8, 8, 8 as a vhuman if you don't care about having 3 dump stats.

The safest bet is to start vhuman with Res(Con) and max Wis by level 8.

kenGarff
2018-08-14, 01:12 PM
Thank you, sir!

hwem
2018-08-15, 02:36 PM
Is a Vhuman really better, or even comparable, to a hill dwarf? Stat and feat wise, I believe at the higher levels, they pretty much end up the same but with hill dwarf having more stats. Then, hill dwarf also has that seemingly awesome +HP racial feature which makes it more tanky. Apologies if I am wrong. I assume Vhuman could be better at lower levels but if TC were to get into higher levels, I would assume hill dwarf is better.

Corran
2018-08-15, 04:04 PM
What's difference between a cleric and a paladin from a roleplaying perspective?
Clerics enjoy wearing cloth and spending their days inside a temple, praying (that they were paladins instead, among other things). Don't let the heavy armor proficiency fool you, they like wearing cloth!
Paladins are badasses that go around doing what good aligned clerics pray for.
Essentially, the difference between a man and a boy, or between a woman and a girl.
I realize that some people may disagree with me on this, but pay them no mind, they are just wrong.

Lolzyking
2018-08-16, 11:37 AM
None of this matters, going into season 8 any deity can be any domain

Snowbluff
2018-08-16, 08:28 PM
None of this matters, going into season 8 any deity can be any domain

We're still going to want options for people who roleplay their connection to the domain. .-.

Joe the Rat
2018-08-16, 10:33 PM
Great thing about the Realms: The resident tempest deity is Umberlee. Bitch Goddess of the Seas. Wrath of storms incarnate. Nobody likes her. Including some of her priests and clerics.

See, she's not a deity to worship. She's a deity to appease. You ask her to not kill you today. Spread her fame, show her power, beg her leniency. But you personally don't have to be a bag full of richards about it.

Thankfully, she's takes offerings in wealth rather than hot boy sacrifices. Usually.

So why grant her power to someone who is not particularly chaotic, or evil? Boy, wouldn't you like to know. But if a goddess known for rage and capriciousness takes that much of an interest in you, it might not hurt to play along.

Yeah, not the healthiest of relationships, but I'm guessing you could snidely reference other real world religions that are similarly unhealthy. Not that we do that here.