PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Making a viable Scrying Table

Mordna
2018-08-13, 09:11 AM
In the homebrew campaign I'm currently running, the adventurers will soon enter a masion, the lair of the Big Bad. In the study of this Baddie I want to have a Scrying Table - something that can be used by anyone, free of spellslot. Of course I'm aware of the Scrying spell and want to impose those limitations on it when used.

The thing I'm stuck with is how to describe it, make it reveal it's function as well as how to actually play out the mechanics. Do I simply describe? I was thinking something like this: "You see a round table with a shiny glass dome on it. From afar you see a colourful swirl within it. As you step closer you see many different images of places and people shift and melt into eachother rapidly in a smokey haze."

No one has the Identify Spell in the party, so how do I make them recognize what it is? And if they decide to use it, how do I actually make the effects of the spell happen mechanically? Is making them touch it good enough? They are a fairly paranoid bunch, so they will likely be very cautious.

I should note that it is a totally skippable thing, it would just make it a lot easier for them to reach their objective/gather information.

solidork
2018-08-13, 09:34 AM
That description sounds good to me. You can always call for an Arcana (or maybe even History) check to see if they recognize the device. Maybe the owner of the scrying table has a log book where he records the results of his scrying? As far as overcoming their paranoia about using an unknown magical item, that can be tricky. An Insight check could reveal some information like "You don't think the BBEG would put a dangerous trap in a room he uses often." or "You get the impression that the BBEG is so confident in the outer perimeter of his home that he doesn't place defenses on the interior."

Maybe he has an underling do most of the boring scrying, making it obvious that anyone can use it? The underling could even have left instructions lying around as a reminder.

Segev
2018-08-13, 09:34 AM
Perhaps it is a map table with fixtures to pin a map down to it, and a sliding lens held in place by straps that form a "+" with the lens at the center, movable so that its center can be over any part of the map. The lens shows a scrying image of whatever is going on at the location over which the lens hovers, with a focus-adjustment via twisting the lens in its fixture to zoom in and out. Changing the map on the table changes where the lens can scry, but there are limits relative to the scale of the map to how far in or out it can zoom.

Mordna
2018-08-14, 07:40 AM
That description sounds good to me. You can always call for an Arcana (or maybe even History) check to see if they recognize the device. Maybe the owner of the scrying table has a log book where he records the results of his scrying? As far as overcoming their paranoia about using an unknown magical item, that can be tricky. An Insight check could reveal some information like "You don't think the BBEG would put a dangerous trap in a room he uses often." or "You get the impression that the BBEG is so confident in the outer perimeter of his home that he doesn't place defenses on the interior."

Maybe he has an underling do most of the boring scrying, making it obvious that anyone can use it? The underling could even have left instructions lying around as a reminder.

Thank you these are really good suggestions! I love the minion idea, but alas, my BBEG is a total loner. However I will definately use the log book idea and the 'surely she wouldn't trap the inside of her study' - line of reasoning.
:biggrin: I know now what to do!

Mordna
2018-08-14, 07:44 AM
Perhaps it is a map table with fixtures to pin a map down to it, and a sliding lens held in place by straps that form a "+" with the lens at the center, movable so that its center can be over any part of the map. The lens shows a scrying image of whatever is going on at the location over which the lens hovers, with a focus-adjustment via twisting the lens in its fixture to zoom in and out. Changing the map on the table changes where the lens can scry, but there are limits relative to the scale of the map to how far in or out it can zoom.

Thanks for your suggestion too, but my Scrying table already exists as a round table with a dome on it. I originally included a photo of the room I have as a physical map for the Mansion. I don't understand why, but it kept disapearing. I used the insert image tool on here and attached the url for a picture I uploaded to Imgur. It posted just fine, but then disapeared from my post when I went back to look, so I deleted even mentioning the picture. This has happened to me on other posts. Does anyone know whay this happens? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Vingelot
2018-08-14, 09:18 AM
Thanks for your suggestion too, but my Scrying table already exists as a round table with a dome on it. I originally included a photo of the room I have as a physical map for the Mansion. I don't understand why, but it kept disapearing. I used the insert image tool on here and attached the url for a picture I uploaded to Imgur. It posted just fine, but then disapeared from my post when I went back to look, so I deleted even mentioning the picture. This has happened to me on other posts. Does anyone know whay this happens? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

I think you can only post images after a certain post count, but I'm not sure.

Segev
2018-08-14, 09:22 AM
I think the easiest way to make the glass dome scrying table reveal its functionality is to have it always on, then. It just is scrying out the last subject it was directed to. Maybe have a selection of items that are personally relevant to beings that the owner frequenty wishes to scry out that he uses to tune it so they have a penalty on their will saves.