PDA

View Full Version : coffee advice

JeenLeen
2018-08-13, 09:57 AM
How long can coffee stay in the fridge and be good (in the sense of safe to drink) and not horrible (in the sense of taste)?

I don't care for coffee, but have found that I like a caffeine boost in the morning. For a while I was getting some coffee + almond milk thing at the local stores, but it seems they stopped carrying it. I see some similar products, but they all have milk; during parts of the year and certain days of the week, I do an essentially vegan diet, so I'm looking for something vegan. I prefer something that kinda covers up the coffee taste, but I think I'll 'bite the bullet' and just drink coffee black.

Since I don't care about the taste anyway, I'm thinking of getting the leftover coffee from my church on Sunday and refrigerating it. Drink a cup cold in the morning or when I need a pick-me-up. Is that safe? Is that likely to get disgusting?

I do really like things like McDonalds frappes or Starbucks Frappacinos, but between cost and sugar content (plus the vegan thing), those are non-ideal for a daily coffee drink.

Mando Knight
2018-08-13, 01:40 PM
If the container's sealed, it should be fine for a week or so in the refrigerator (and then after that, the flavor should notably degrade well before it goes bad).

Better than refrigerating hot-brewed coffee, though, would be to learn how to cold brew it yourself. A quick Google search brought up a few (https://www.thekitchn.com/big-batch-cold-brew-coffee-257177) how-to sites (https://downshiftology.com/how-to-make-cold-brew-coffee/) for the process, and you can easily add in almond milk or other non-dairy creamer to taste as you drink it (the coffee itself will likely last longer if you don't mix it together all at once).

veti
2018-08-14, 03:50 AM
If you really don't like the taste of coffee, then I suggest not drinking it. There are plenty of ways to get caffeine. Tea is an obvious alternative. Google "sources of caffeine" for others.

Vinyadan
2018-08-14, 06:14 AM
Why don't you buy something like this, instead? https://www.amazon.com/Bialetti-1281-Express-Espresso-Silver/dp/B004T73H6O/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1534245161&sr=8-4&keywords=bialetti+mini+express

It takes about two minutes to make coffee this way, it's very low maintenance, and you don't have to risk your health.

factotum
2018-08-14, 09:32 AM
If you really don't like the taste of coffee, then I suggest not drinking it. There are plenty of ways to get caffeine. Tea is an obvious alternative. Google "sources of caffeine" for others.

You can even get it in tablet form, can't you?

JeenLeen
2018-08-14, 02:24 PM
All in all, making some cold brew concentrate during the weekend and using it during the week sounds easiest. I reckon it's also pretty cheap.

I think I get something of a psychosomatic effect from the smell of coffee-based things as I drink it.
Also, I've found teas tend to taste bad after a bit in the refrigerator.
Thanks for the Google recommendation, though.

Why don't you buy something like this, instead? https://www.amazon.com/Bialetti-1281-Express-Espresso-Silver/dp/B004T73H6O/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1534245161&sr=8-4&keywords=bialetti+mini+express

It takes about two minutes to make coffee this way, it's very low maintenance, and you don't have to risk your health.

Do you need to wash it after every day, or could washing it once a week work?
Regardless, I think I'll pass on that for the sake of space and laziness. Between getting myself ready for work in the morning and cooking breakfast for the family, adding even a small thing (2 minutes) to the routine would be stressful even if not actually taxing on time. (That's also why I don't want to brew a cup of black tea in the morning.)
Plus, our counterspace is pretty full (though we could fix that easily enough if we take the time.)

Arsonist
2018-08-14, 09:16 PM
... Somehow this is the second post I've responded to on these boards, and I can't help but feel like I've found home.

Given the notes here, I feel like I have to ask - how much have you tried to sample already? I don't like the taste of standard black coffee, but there are a lot of sweet brews and stuff around these days, particularly if you can invest in or have access to a Kuereg. Not sure how vegan friendly it is, but Butter Toffee is my jam.

snowblizz
2018-08-15, 03:38 AM
Do you need to wash it after every day, or could washing it once a week work?

You can probably get away with once a week but I would honestly suggest washing after use. Coffee is corrosive (I've seen a plastic spoon used to measure up ground coffee lose it's outercoating while laying against grounds for a long time). And in a week odds are it's growing mold/fungii. Yes I know the latter form experience.

I'd think in the fridge coffee should hold for weeks. Those refrigirated coffedrinks they sell certianly have a long lifespan. I guess you could do your own version of those if there's no vegan option. (Which I do find surprising, it's the perfect hipster vegan mind-meld after all). Brew coffe on Sunday mix with almond "milk" in portion containers and keep in fridge.

Though personally I can't stomach coffe that's gone cold at all. And only very reluctantly drink couple of hours old stuff that's been in thermos or heated.

YMMW.

I'd not recommend the caffeine pills. I had friend who used those sometimes and he said it was sometimes iffy and he'd react to them. Too high a concentration and such.

You can actually get coffein in several energy drinks.

At the end of the day however, caffeine is essentially addictive. The "pick me up" you feel is after a few times only your body getting back to not quite normal. I've seen some docus where they tried this out and after a while those drinking coffee are actually underpermorming those who wasn't on that "diet" because caffeinie doesn't actually give you a boost over time.

In essence, what you are feeling is withdrawal effects and if getting coffee is this much work just quit it instead. I like coffee and don't mind the extra work inherent preparing it. If it be working with your premises I'd rather quit it.

Wardog
2018-08-15, 03:44 PM
Is there a specific reason you want to drink it cold?

Wouldn't the simplest way to get a cheap daily coffee be to use instant?

razorback
2018-08-15, 03:55 PM
Wardog, I don't my food and, especially, my drinks, hot. Room temp or colder drinks I like.
When I found out about about cold brewing coffee, I've been doing it ever since, using a french press. I used to make coffee in the conventional fashion and let it cool to room temp to drink but, now, after sitting overnight, I drink it cold. I like the bitterness of coffee so on weekends I will still make it hot and let it cool down but during the work week I cold press it.

JeenLeen, if you let coffee cool down and sit too long, I think it looses some quality and becomes over bitter. You don't seem to like the taste anyway, but maybe storing it in glass right away and letting it cool down rather than some other kind of container may not taint it. Not sure of the right word I'm looking for but various other containers give the flavor a different taste IMO.

razorback
2018-09-20, 01:49 PM
As an aside, I managed to drop my press this morning, leaving nice bits of glass to pick up.

Anyone recommend a good press to replace it? I had the same one for years, forgot the brand, but willing to try a new one on a good recommendation.

thorgrim29
2018-09-20, 02:15 PM
It's not terribly cheap but they sell concentrated cold brew coffee at Wholefoods and I assume other places (it's more of an american thing).

razorback: Not an expert on French Press or anything but people around here usually call them Bodums so I assume they're a good brand to look at, they certainly seem to be the market leader.

razorback
2018-09-20, 02:19 PM
I think that was the brand I had before, now that I look at it. Did a decent job, no complaints.
Thanks.

Farynator
2018-09-22, 06:39 AM
If the container's sealed, it should be fine for a week or so in the refrigerator (and then after that, the flavor should notably degrade well before it goes bad).

Better than refrigerating hot-brewed coffee, though, would be to learn how to cold brew it yourself. A quick Google search brought up a few how-to sites for the process, and you can easily add in almond milk or other non-dairy creamer to taste as you drink it (the coffee itself will likely last longer if you don't mix it together all at once).

A sealed contair will do the job.