PDA

View Full Version : New UA: Ravnica races

Beechgnome
2018-08-13, 12:35 PM
https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA_RavnicaRaces.pdf

Weird they are still doing UA for these but here they are.

mythmonster2
2018-08-13, 12:46 PM
Alright, if Loxodons are still just Medium with Powerful Build, we're never getting a Large player race. Interesting to see Simic hybrids as their own race.

ciarannihill
2018-08-13, 12:50 PM
Is it possible to get the text of these posted in the topic here? Can't follow the link atm, but would like to see them...

Kadesh
2018-08-13, 01:18 PM
Loxodon;
- +2 Con, +1 Wis, Powerful Build, Adv vs Frighten, AC13+Dex, Prof with Masonry, Stonecunning, Adv on Scent-based Perception
- All told, pretty decent. Downside is you look ridiculous.

Simic Hybrid
- +2 Con, +1 Other, 60ft Darkvision, Choose 2 animal enhancements (1 at 1st, +1 at 5th)
-- Lesser Slow Fall
-- Climb Speed = Walking Speed
-- Swim Speed = Walking Speed and can breath underwater
-- 1d6+Str Unarmed Strikes, bonus action grapple if hit unarmed (req 5th)
-- +1 AC (req 5th)
-- 30ft range Acid spit 2d10 damage, Cantrip scaling damage (req 5th)

Vedalken
- +2 Int, +1 Wis, Adv on Int, Wis, + Cha Saves, Proficient with a single Skill and Tool and add d4 to any roll involving either

Viashino
- +2 Dex, +1 Str, 1d4+Str Unarmed Attack, 1d4+Str Unarmed Attack as a reaction to being hit by an enemy within 5ft, Prof in Stealth or Acrobatics

Naanomi
2018-08-13, 01:24 PM
Advantage on smell, so passive perception is going to be pretty impressive

Also, if this stays true to the published product, we just got our fourth aquatic race to build a whole party

ciarannihill
2018-08-13, 01:52 PM
Loxodon;
- +2 Con, +1 Wis, Powerful Build, Adv vs Frighten, AC13+Dex, Prof with Masonry, Stonecunning, Adv on Scent-based Perception
- All told, pretty decent. Downside is you look ridiculous.

Simic Hybrid
- +2 Con, +1 Other, 60ft Darkvision, Choose 2 animal enhancements (1 at 1st, +1 at 5th)
-- Lesser Slow Fall
-- Climb Speed = Walking Speed
-- Swim Speed = Walking Speed and can breath underwater
-- 1d6+Str Unarmed Strikes, bonus action grapple if hit unarmed (req 5th)
-- +1 AC (req 5th)
-- 30ft range Acid spit 2d10 damage, Cantrip scaling damage (req 5th)

Vedalken
- +2 Int, +1 Wis, Adv on Int, Wis, + Cha Saves, Proficient with a single Skill and Tool and add d4 to any roll involving either

Viashino
- +2 Dex, +1 Str, 1d4+Str Unarmed Attack, 1d4+Str Unarmed Attack as a reaction to being hit by an enemy within 5ft, Prof in Stealth or Acrobatics

Oh that's pretty cool. Vedalken seems pretty good with the Adv on multiple saves thing, even if only one is super common. Viashino seems like a cool Monk race, Simic Hybrid seems interesting, unsure about it atm and Loxodon looks like a repurposed Firbolg... Was kind of hoping for +1 Str/+1 Con/+1 Wis to give us a "Cleric" to the Triton's "Paladin", but whatever.

Hopefully these change a bit before they're finalized for the book.

OvisCaedo
2018-08-13, 02:07 PM
It's kind of amusing that the flavor text for the hybrids calls out elven-based ones as being distinct because they get to keep their darkvision, but then in the actual mechanics ALL simics have darkvision. I guess it would've been too much of a hassle to try to make too many branching distinctions in the race when it's already got "choose your mutations".

Fnissalot
2018-08-13, 02:07 PM
Viashino looks way worse than the other three. Situational unarmed attacks on reactions does not seem good enough for the lack of other things with the race.

Vedalken looks purely good, better save advantage than the deep gnomes and the d4 on a skill is super sweet!

Simic Hybrid might be pretty good at level 5 but before that adds very little. The "lesser feather fall" is pretty interesting. Being able to grapple without an empty hand is potentially possible to break stuff. Acid spit is pretty much a decent cantrip cast with constitution. +1 to AC when not wearing heavy armor is nice. I don't look forward to playing it before 5 and it would probably be to strong if they got those choices at level 1. I am looking forward to grapple 3 targets and jumping from a 100feet cliff with them while not taking damage.

Loxodon has a lot of things... lizardfolk natural armor, halfling bravery and dwarven stonecunning etc. Most abilities feels stolen from other races. On the other hand, it adds a lot and is probably pretty decent since nothing is really bad and the quantity pushes it alot.

Wilb
2018-08-13, 02:18 PM
So we get bootleg Giff and a bunch of strange MtG races?

Vedalken seem very powerful and Simics can use medium armor very well.

GorogIrongut
2018-08-13, 02:44 PM
I'm happy to see Vedalkans if for no other reason than that we get a good Intelligence based race. I can't stand many of the other options. Now I can see myself happily making a Vedalkan Psionicist.

Regitnui
2018-08-13, 02:57 PM
RAW, changelings can be Simic Hybrids, right? I sense shenanigans.

MagneticKitty
2018-08-13, 03:02 PM
Advantage on smell, so passive perception is going to be pretty impressive

Also, if this stays true to the published product, we just got our fourth aquatic race to build a whole party

Well... doesn't need to breathe: warforged, air genasi
Waterbreathing: water genasi, triton, merfolk x2 (planeshift), grung, this new guy

Breath holding: lizardfolk, tortle

Who am I missing?

Mana Opal
2018-08-13, 03:04 PM
RAW, changelings can be Simic Hybrids, right? I sense shenanigans.

Funnily enough, the Dimir Guild does have a host of shapechangers that would totally use those shenanigans in-universe. Guess we would use the changeling chassis to build Lazav, eh?

gloryblaze
2018-08-13, 04:09 PM
Well... doesn't need to breathe: warforged, air genasi
Waterbreathing: water genasi, triton, merfolk x2 (planeshift), grung, this new guy

Breath holding: lizardfolk, tortle

Who am I missing?

Sea elves from MToF

Eric Diaz
2018-08-13, 04:12 PM
Viashino a bit underwhelming IMO, Vedalken seems cool. Didn't expect Simic hybrids.

Grim Portent
2018-08-13, 04:44 PM
I like the Simic a lot, the Viashino are the sort of thing I want to like, but I just kind of don't. They feel like a worse lizardfolk and don't have a lot of uniqueness to them. I suppose they didn't want to give two races natural armour in one article because I really feel the Viashino would suit 13+dex for armour.

EDIT: Though you know what I really want? A Mirrodin/New Phyrexia race selection, both pure and compleat versions.

Sception
2018-08-13, 04:46 PM
Kind of confused what everyone sees in the loxodons. Yeah, the con and wis boost is nice, but the natural armor seems fit only for dex primary builds, which are a poor fit for both the stat bonuses and fluff of the race. I suppose its better than casting mage armor for wizards, but while the class is a better fluff fit for loxodons than rogues, it isnt a better mechanical fit. I just dont see it being that useful.

Same for the scent-specific perception boosts. How often will that come up? Generally perception checks are called for whether you see or hear things, not whether you smell them. Some DMs might cater too it, but unless yhey're going out of their way...

And then, yeah, stonecutting from dwarves, bravery from halflings, not as exciting as actual new abilities, and either way both, while nice to have, aren't exactly the most commonly applicable racial boosts.

Tbh, i was looking forward to loxodon rules, and these leave me feeling kind of flat, and not just because of the ongoing aversion to large pc races. I get that large pcs can be narratively and mechanically disruptive, but so can flying pcs, yet we've seen multiple flying races, and the devs have trusted dms to decide whether or not that's appropriate for their campaigns.

Otherwise, viashino also look underwhelming, though the teaction tailwhip looks at least a little interesting. vedalkans look like a good (maybe a bit too good) but rather bland option for wizards.
The simics are the only race in this pile that look really interesting to me as printed, though as a dedicated golgari fan i doubt ill ever get around to playing one.

MagneticKitty
2018-08-13, 05:06 PM
Also please explain...

Humans (80 average years) + elephant (70 average years)
But Loxodon live to 450?
Are they part dwarf or something?

humans (80 average years) + giant turtles (100 average years)
But tortle only live to 50.
Are they part dragonborn/liardfolk/orc or something?

8wGremlin
2018-08-13, 05:09 PM
Viashino monk could get quite potent: dump str and just use dex.
They are all unarmed strikes so will scale with unarmed damage.

ATHATH
2018-08-13, 05:13 PM
Viashino Rogues can get off-turn Sneak Attacks with their tail, which seems pretty darn good (especially when combo'd with Booming Blade, Sentinel, and/or Mage Slayer (you get a reaction attack if they attack you in melee, cast a spell, or attack someone other than you while within 5 feet of you, but get your Booming Blade damage (provided that you hit with Booming Blade in the first place) and an opportunity attack if they move away from you)). Remember that the restriction is one Sneak Attack per TURN, not one Sneak Attack per ROUND. I'd go as far to say that viashinos (is that how you plualize that?) are the best Rogue race hands-down, especially since they get a +2 to DEX (alas, the +1 boost to STR is pretty bad unless you grab medium armor proficiency, want to multiclass (to Paladin, maybe?), or are a STR Rogue.

Viashino Sorcadins can smite with their tails, too, although they'd have to give up their use of Shield for that round.

How do the natural attacks of viashinos and simic hybrids interact with the replacement of unarmed strike damage from the Monk class?

Boci
2018-08-13, 05:19 PM
Same for the scent-specific perception boosts. How often will that come up? Generally perception checks are called for whether you see or hear things, not whether you smell them. Some DMs might cater too it, but unless yhey're going out of their way...

Yeah, I think a lot of people are interpreting it as an animal's scent ability "you sniff out the goblin hiding in the bushes ahead", but it can just as easily be interpreted as "whenever the DM calls for all PC to make a perception check to notice or ID a smell, loxodons rolls that with advantage".

Tbh, i was looking forward to loxodon rules, and these leave me feeling kind of flat, and not just because of the ongoing aversion to large pc races. I get that large pcs can be narratively and mechanically disruptive, but so can flying pcs, yet we've seen multiple flying races, and the devs have trusted dms to decide whether or not that's appropriate for their campaigns.

Being large doubles base weapons damage, which is a bit trickier for DMs to handle than flight as its a raw numbers improvement. They could make a large PC race that doesn't double damage, but then its not really large.

MagneticKitty
2018-08-13, 05:46 PM
Viashino Rogues can get off-turn Sneak Attacks with their tail, which seems pretty darn good (especially when combo'd with Booming Blade, Sentinel, and/or Mage Slayer (you get a reaction attack if they attack you in melee, cast a spell, or attack someone other than you while within 5 feet of you, but get your Booming Blade damage (provided that you hit with Booming Blade in the first place) and an opportunity attack if they move away from you)). Remember that the restriction is one Sneak Attack per TURN, not one Sneak Attack per ROUND. I'd go as far to say that viashinos (is that how you plualize that?) are the best Rogue race hands-down, especially since they get a +2 to DEX (alas, the +1 boost to STR is pretty bad unless you grab medium armor proficiency, want to multiclass (to Paladin, maybe?), or are a STR Rogue.

Viashino Sorcadins can smite with their tails, too, although they'd have to give up their use of Shield for that round.

How do the natural attacks of viashinos and simic hybrids interact with the replacement of unarmed strike damage from the Monk class?

How are you sneak attacking with your tail which uses strength modifier and is not finesse. Not even a monks fist can sneak attack. Also their tail does not work for booming blade + mage slayer combo as it specifically states an attack of opportunity. The tail is not an attack of opportunity since it did not say so and is not proc'd from aoo rules. Remember once you use your tail you cannot take an aoo since you already used your reaction. So still using sneak attack twice only if they move away.
Edit: mage slayer works but not Warcaster (on your reaction tail attack) . You can still only do one reaction. So only one of: warcaster (normal oportunity attack), mage slayer, or tail attack. Not all 3.

Basically for monk, these natural weapons do not equal unarmed. And are not monk weapons
https://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/05/27/are-natural-weapons-considered-unarmed-strikes/
So you cannot turn them to dex based weapons, you cannot scale their dice according to this sage advice. And your reaction tail attack has to be str based and with the given damage.

If I'm reading it right. Hope this helps

I'd use the Viashino as a barbarian maybe... hard to say. Basically it'd be like making a strength bases dual wielding barbarian with a reaction retaliate type thing.. Not great.. but not terrible.
Honestly I like natural attacks thematically but they're pretty useless usually unless unarmed and not a monk

Foxhound438
2018-08-13, 05:57 PM
loxodon looks meh... another cleric/druid race, but there are already so many of those that it doesn't really add much in my opinion. I'd personally still take human or some kind of aquatic race.

simic hybrid has some potential as a build a race workshop option, and the choose an ability boost makes it doubly so. The first set of abilities are fine utility, the second seem like almost "build around me" items:

grappling appendages gives you the great action economy of tavern brawler, and you get your real hands on top, allowing you to "ground and pound" with a greatsword or sword and shield. I could definitely see a barbarian or palabard with rage or expertice athletics and great weapon master being good.

carapice is an easy choice for anything that isn't a str paladin or fighter, applying to everything from medium armor clerics to mage armor wizards to monks. Again, the choose your stat up makes all of those pretty good while we're at it.

acid spit isn't that impressive on its own, but it has the power of a good cantrip and it keys off of constitution. Anything that doesn't get a better ranged option from their class might find this more effective than one javelin per round.

vedalkin seems okay to me... I've never liked double mental stat races, but this one gets gnome cunning, which is fine i guess.

viashino looks okay, the reaction attack in particular is kind of cool. Having to get damaged in melee makes me think this is a hard nope case for monk building, but I guess once you get to high enough levels that every class is a bag of HP it would be fine. However, if I were to build a viashino anything, it would have to be a barbarian, since you're apt to get hit anyway and you take less damage when you do.

Foxhound438
2018-08-13, 06:05 PM
Basically for monk, these natural weapons do not equal unarmed. And are not monk weapons
https://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/05/27/are-natural-weapons-considered-unarmed-strikes/
So you cannot turn them to dex based weapons, you cannot scale their dice according to this sage advice. And your reaction tail attack has to be str based and with the given damage.

that one in particular is a very different case. The minotaur says specifically that it's a natural melee weapon, which martial arts does not apply to. Viashino specifically calls out "unarmed strike", which is in fact exactly what martial arts applies to.

ATHATH
2018-08-13, 06:21 PM
How are you sneak attacking with your tail which uses strength modifier and is not finesse. Not even a monks fist can sneak attack. Also their tail does not work for booming blade + mage slayer combo as it specifically states an attack of opportunity. The tail is not an attack of opportunity since it did not say so and is not proc'd from aoo rules. Remember once you use your tail you cannot take an aoo since you already used your reaction. So still using sneak attack twice only if they move away.
Edit: mage slayer works but not Warcaster (on your reaction tail attack) . You can still only do one reaction. So only one of: warcaster (normal oportunity attack), mage slayer, or tail attack. Not all 3.

I'd use the Viashino as a barbarian maybe... hard to say. Basically it'd be like making a strength bases dual wielding barbarian with a reaction retaliate type thing.. Not great.. but not terrible.
Honestly I like natural attacks thematically but they're pretty useless usually unless unarmed and not a monk
Ah shoot, forgot about the "finesse" restriction.

MagneticKitty
2018-08-13, 06:43 PM
Ok so monk can make them dex but you still can't sneak attack with them. Thanks for the clarification :)

Naanomi
2018-08-13, 06:53 PM
Yeah, I think a lot of people are interpreting it as an animal's scent ability "you sniff out the goblin hiding in the bushes ahead", but it can just as easily be interpreted as "whenever the DM calls for all PC to make a perception check to notice or ID a smell, loxodons rolls that with advantage".
In all fairness ‘keen scent’ that grants advantage *is* the exact ability animals like dogs have...

ATHATH
2018-08-13, 07:07 PM

Just to clarify, I know that you can take only one reaction per round- the feats were there to give more ways to activate a reaction attack against non-melee foes.

It's still a pretty decent Paladin race, though.

Boci
2018-08-13, 07:17 PM
In all fairness ‘keen scent’ that grants advantage *is* the exact ability animals like dogs have...

This would be when the oft touted line "The players don't decide when to make a check, the DM does". So the DM says dogs can make a check to find the hiding goblin, whilst the loxodon PC cannot. Alternativly the DM lets them do that, but its not guranteed by the ability in of itself.

LudicSavant
2018-08-13, 07:31 PM
Vedalken: Great attribute modifiers for a Wizard, and only a Wizard. Advantage on a whole 3 saves, with no restrictions, and they're saves that Wizards already have pretty decent numbers in, and that you get attribute modifiers in, so they're likely to be quite consistent for Vedalken. It's not quite Yuan-Ti Magic Resistance, but it can apply to some things that that can't (like saving against nonmagical fear), and you can use it for things like, say, never failing your Contact Other Plane rituals again. +1d4 to a skill is better than doubling proficiency in the early game, which just sort of further solidifies Wizards as being the dominant class for out of combat utility.

There's little in the way of flavorful powers here. They're basically just offering numeric boosters for Wizards.

Loxodon: Groooooans. So, first thing out of the way, it's another "I can't believe it's not Large!" case that everyone knows and doesn't love. For elephant-folk, they have surprisingly little in the way of features that help them feel big, and their main feature is basically getting advantage on Perception checks. They really want to be Clerics or Druids, not just because of their attribute modifiers but also because pretty much the whole point of being a Loxodon is going to be pushing up that passive perception, which means you want to be Wis-based.

In terms of flavor, it's a race of medium elephantmen without a third hand feature to go with the trunk-hands description.

Viashino: A bonus to Dex and Strength is generally less than ideal, simply because there are few builds that really want 16 dex/16 str that wouldn't do just as well with 16 dex or strength/16 something else. A natural bite attack is largely a fluff ribbon, and most races get at least one skill proficiency. Your one real feature here is that you have reaction tail whips, which are limited a bit by the fact that they're Strength-based, which means you can't sneak attack with them, which means that Rogues are going to have better things to do with their reactions. As are a lot of builds, really.

In order to make the Viashino work you're going to want to find something that benefits from a Str/Dex setup that can also add some nasty extra effects to that reaction attack. This is pretty niche and a little gimmicky.

ATHATH
2018-08-13, 07:38 PM
Vedalken: Great attribute modifiers for a Wizard, and only a Wizard. Advantage on a whole 3 saves, with no restrictions, and they're saves that Wizards already have pretty decent numbers in, and that you get attribute modifiers in, so they're likely to be quite consistent for Vedalken. It's not quite Yuan-Ti Magic Resistance, but it can apply to some things that that can't (like saving against nonmagical fear), and you can use it for things like, say, never failing your Contact Other Plane rituals again. +1d4 to a skill is better than doubling proficiency in the early game, which just sort of further solidifies Wizards as being the dominant class for out of combat utility.

There's little in the way of flavorful powers here. They're basically just offering numeric boosters for Wizards.

Loxodon: Groooooans. So, first thing out of the way, it's another "I can't believe it's not Large!" case that everyone knows and doesn't love. For elephant-folk, they have surprisingly little in the way of features that help them feel big, and their main feature is basically getting advantage on Perception checks. They really want to be Clerics or Druids, not just because of their attribute modifiers but also because pretty much the whole point of being a Loxodon is going to be pushing up that passive perception, which means you want to be Wis-based.

In terms of flavor, it's a race of medium elephantmen without a third hand feature to go with the trunk-hands description.

Viashino: A bonus to Dex and Strength is generally less than ideal, simply because there are few builds that really want 16 dex/16 str that wouldn't do just as well with 16 dex or strength/16 something else. A natural bite attack is largely a fluff ribbon, and most races get at least one skill proficiency. Your one real feature here is that you have reaction tail whips, which are limited a bit by the fact that they're Strength-based, which means you can't sneak attack with them, which means that Rogues are going to have better things to do with their reactions. As are a lot of builds, really.

In order to make the Viashino work you're going to want to find something that benefits from a Str/Dex setup that can also add some nasty extra effects to that reaction attack. This is pretty niche and a little gimmicky.
Good analysis. Yeah, Viashino might/would actually be used for something other than fluff reasons if that tail attack had Finesse.

Well, I guess they currently make decent Paladins.

Regitnui
2018-08-13, 11:18 PM
Funnily enough, the Dimir Guild does have a host of shapechangers that would totally use those shenanigans in-universe. Guess we would use the changeling chassis to build Lazav, eh?

Well, Lazav was a psychic vampire kind of thing, but I'd totally build changelings as Dimir guild members. :smallgrin:

Finback
2018-08-13, 11:49 PM
I totally knew we'd get loxodon, and they would basically reuse the veldaken from Planeshift: Kaladesh. I'm more surprised a) viashino aren't just the basic stats for lizardfolk, and b) Simic mutants. I would have more likely expected another race, like the triton, as a Simic proxy.

I really have to wonder if this book will give us the Artificier class though, since it's totally in line with the Izzet, who're on the cover, and going to be a major part of the Ravnican war storyline we've got coming.

Fnissalot
2018-08-14, 12:13 AM
vedalkin seems okay to me... I've never liked double mental stat races, but this one gets gnome cunning, which is fine i guess.

It is better than gnome cunning, it applies to all saves in the three attributes and not only those from magics.

Rebonack
2018-08-14, 02:32 AM
Those lizards seem pretty behind the curve.

A reaction attack like that is arguably worth half a ASI if PAM is any indication. A bite ribbon and a skill prof together are worth half an ASI as well. With their (bad) stat combo, that puts them at two and a half ISA worth of racial features as opposed to the more typical three. I would go so far as to say it's lower than that because the Str/Dex combo isn't really useful for any class that springs to mind. Typically you want Str or Dex, not both.

I would say change the reaction to 'when you are attacked' rather than when you're hit. Change the +1 Str to +1 Con and swap their unarmed strikes to Dex based. Round them out with 3 flat BPS damage reduction to account for the scaled skin. Pretty sure no one has gotten that particular mechanic just yet, and tying it to a Dex-focused race would help resolve its use-cases from what Heavy Armor Mastery offers.

LudicSavant
2018-08-14, 04:04 AM
While I agree that Viashino are lame, I would very strongly caution against any method of evaluating the balance of races that amounts to "counting individual powers."

For example, getting +6 total stat bonuses isn't just worth "3 ASI." It depends on a lot. If you get +6 to Int on a race, you just made an overpowered Wizard race that will forever hence define the curve for Wizard races. If you get +1 to all stats on a race, you just made non-variant humans and it's kind of meh and nobody cares. And a race that mimics 2 ASIs (via +1 to two stats and a feat) is just plain better.

What really defines the curve is how well a race works with the builds that work best with its features, compared with race/class combos competing for a similar role.

Rebonack
2018-08-14, 11:55 AM
While I agree that Viashino are lame, I would very strongly caution against any method of evaluating the balance of races that amounts to "counting individual powers."

For example, getting +6 total stat bonuses isn't just worth "3 ASI." It depends on a lot. If you get +6 to Int on a race, you just made an overpowered Wizard race that will forever hence define the curve for Wizard races. If you get +1 to all stats on a race, you just made non-variant humans and it's kind of meh and nobody cares. And a race that mimics 2 ASIs (via +1 to two stats and a feat) is just plain better.

What really defines the curve is how well a race works with the builds that work best with its features, compared with race/class combos competing for a similar role.

That's not what I'm doing, though?

Tallying individual features provides a nice general guideline, but you also need to keep in mind that some features just don't play well together. The standard human is pretty much THE example of this. Typically a class is going to have two or three ability scores they really care about, and four or three that are basically fluff. So SHuman wouldn't be sitting at a 3, but rather more like a 2 or a 2.5. The other common example is the Mountain Dwarf. A plus 2 bonus to Con and Str AND medium armor prof! Wow! Except most classes that really want that big bump to Con and Str already have proficiency to medium armor, so again we've got features that don't play nice. On the flipside, no race gets more than a +2 to any stat. That's just a race building guideline that should be kept in mind.

VHuman is great not just because they get a feat, but because they get a feat at level 1 rather than level 4. That advantage can't be understated. They open up build options for classes that simply aren't on the table otherwise.

PeteNutButter
2018-08-14, 06:41 PM
Most of the obvious observations have been made, but I actually like the Viashino. It’s basically barbarian or bust but it’s kind of cool.

Barbarians are a class that generally don’t have much to do with their reaction, so adding 1d4 + str + rage damage is nice. That’s roughly 9 damage for most levels of actual play. Reckless attack works quite well with it.

Honorable mention might go to the Ranger who could add to that 1d4 both hunters mark and the colossus slayer’s 1d8.

Arsonist
2018-08-14, 09:27 PM
Hey guys, newbie here, geeked about ravnica.

Firstly, I don't know if it was missed or not, but Viashino get proficiency in either Acrobatics or Stealth in this UA. I may just be misreading things but it seems like people are stating that they don't get a prof.

Also... I'm still pretty new to DnD in general, but the idea of a flat racial reaction upon taking damage from a melee hit seems pretty solid to me. Then again it could just be the war/zeal cleric in me who is jealous that he doesn't get something pretty like that. I know it's not a lot to sneeze at, but as discussed here it *can* combo well, although I'm a little perturbed that monk is the best a boros legionnaire can aspire to at the moment...

Finback
2018-08-14, 10:48 PM
Most of the obvious observations have been made, but I actually like the Viashino. It’s basically barbarian or bust but it’s kind of cool.

It also fits closely with the viashino appearing most often in Ravnica under the Gruul guild (yes, there are others in, for instance, Boros, but there are more Gruul marked cards.)

eg the Shanktail.

https://ertaislament.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/viashino-shanktail2.png

Mikaleus
2018-10-26, 02:33 AM
So.....

Anyone else wish that the loxodon and it’s AC natural armor used strength instead of Dex?

Both stats and lore wise this would make such a great life or nature Domain Cleric. And I equate Dex to being quite nimble ....

Arkhios
2018-10-26, 06:44 AM
So.....

Anyone else wish that the loxodon and it’s AC natural armor used strength instead of Dex?

Both stats and lore wise this would make such a great life or nature Domain Cleric. And I equate Dex to being quite nimble ....

As a friendly reminder, you should probably start a new thread about this, because this thread is over two months old (older than 45 days; see the relevant rule from the Forum Rules) and shouldn't be revived. To be honest, I think the rule is silly, but rules are rules, and I'd prefer to keep my account usable.