PDA

View Full Version : I wanna train the very best, the most BADASS pokemon! (but I need help)

Lord Joeltion
2018-08-13, 01:45 PM
Needing this for a RPG table I've just started some weeks ago for the character I'm playing (trainer, obviously).

In short words: Which one(s) do you think are the most bad-ass 'mons?

I'm not asking for preferences or who you think are the most powerful/unbeatable. What I'm looking for, is for a particular definition of "badass", not directly related with power/types but more something to do with outlook and behaviour. Like Bruce Lee, Vegeta, Deadpool, Batman or Bruce Willis kind of badass. For instance: Scyther is a totally badass looking pokemon who will cut you into pieces even with both scythes tied to his back (GNAW THEM TO PIECES!) when he is pissed enough. But also Marowak and Farfetch'd fit the trope I'm looking for; because they are basically the kendo masters of the pokemon world. "Beat the sh*t out of you", in the most literal sense is more akin to what I mean.

The thing is, the character I'm playing is looking to become the best martial artist (sort of) in the pokemon world; by training along his Golduck in both spirit and mind. The joke is that it's a made up school of martial arts (Duck-Fu) and that it has literally nothing to do with the Fighting-Type. He trains all his pokemon to be melee fighters, using the abilities one would expect a pokemon would use if they were main characters of a shonen series*. Basically, I'm playing Mr. Satan Jr. as a pokemon trainer. As a result; his pokemon are optimized in weird ways: elemental punches/tails/fangs/balls are preferred over plain elemental dmg moves; and physical stats are exploited more than status or strategic moves.

Problem being; I only have a short list of the pokemon my trainer would actually train himself (from gen 1 and 2, basically) and the GM asked me a wider pool from where to prepare his random encounters, otherwise I will have already caught all the pokemon I really need in one more session :smallfrown:

All suggestions and commentary of why I should add that pokemon to the list are gladly accepted. My trainer doesn't stick to any type (in fact; I think I got all different types so far, barring Normal). Bonus points if the pokemon suggested has a lot of physical attacks in his moveset (doesn't matter which gen). More bonus points if the pokemon isn't of the Fighting type or at least is dual type. More bonus points if the beast in question was portrayed as being prone to literally beating the shire out of their rivals, while not necessarily being constantly in aggro-mode (even Ash's Charizard was sometimes just lazying around). Anything is valid, cept legendaries, of course. Thanks for any help filling this list

*Like Fury Swipes or Zen Headbutt

Genki is a 13 yrs old boy who was raised by an old lady living amid the forest, totally secluded from all civilization. His goal in life is twofold: find the family that abandoned him and to found the first Duck Fu School for Pokemon and Trainers. His Golduck is his inseparable companion for life; who grew along with him since he was a Psyduck. Golduck is his parental figure. Both their personalities are muscle over brain; and face every problem with the same solution: Justice in a Fist. So far, the first members of the Duck Fu School are:

-A Schyther that enjoys nothing but shredding everything to pieces.
-A Farfetch'd that is apparently the Buddha of Duck Fu
-A gorgeous Dratini that loves spamming Twister for some reason.
-A Magmar (he's kind of duck, right?)
-A Kangaskhan, a Weavile and a Gabite (recently caught on a Safari, not sure whether to keep them)

Peelee
2018-08-13, 02:09 PM
Pokedex says Talonflame's wings shed embers as it flies in intense battles. Granted, hes one of my favorite mons, but that's specifically because hes (IMO) the most badass bird.

Kitten Champion
2018-08-13, 02:32 PM
I'm unclear if you're limited to Gen 1 and 2 Pokemon, or you only have Gen 1 and 2 Pokemon and want to expand outside that.

Feraligatr and Snorlax do a Sumo competition in the anime, and both are on the more imposing side without being rage-monsters.

Sneasel and its evolution Weavile - outside of being Dark - have a ninja-esque/assassin-ish role as in one of the movies.

If you're doing the idea of "I can learn iconic movie martial arts" angle, you could go with a Spinda as a Drunken Boxing kind of concept.

Metagross is many people's favourite for coolest, also has lots of physical moves.

Braviary's Pokedex entry is "The more scars they have, the more respect these brave soldiers of the sky get from their peers."

ben-zayb
2018-08-13, 03:26 PM
Greninja (Water/Dark) is a slick sort of badass. It's ninja background definitely lends itself well to the martial arts theme, which is supported by its ninja-like physical moveset. Also, it wears its tongue as a scarf.

Pangoro (Fighting/Dark) is an anti-bully powerhouse who doesn't mind exchanging blows. Did I mention it's rocking a fur longcoat and chews bamboo shoots while beating up opponents?

Conkeldurr (Fighting) is when a materials engineer (taught humans how to make concrete) decides to kick some doors instead of building one. It uses a pair of concrete pillars as walking canes and spinning weapons. Yes, I know, it's a pure Fighting type, but did you see that description?

Samurott (Water) is the silent type that shuts everyone up by just glaring at them. It also bodies enemies so fast they never see it drawing and sheathing back its katana.

Mamoswine (Ground/Ice) is like the John Wick of Pokemon; when a legendary dragon puts the fear of god on the other 'mons, this dude breaks a shard of ice from its tusks and straight up shivs it. It also took a nap for 10,000 years encased in ice, because why not?

Maryring
2018-08-13, 04:33 PM
Well, there's the obvious ones in Lucario, the street fighter pokemon, Mienshao, the shaolin monk pokemon, and Hawlucha, the mucha lucha pokemon.

Beyond that, Accelgor is basically a ninja, and Buzzwole is ... very swole. Emboar is a badass wrestler, and Chesnaught is a great knight. Incineroar is basically a heel wrestler already.

And for a single legendary, I'd pick... Zeraora. While all legendaries are powerful in their own right, Zeraora seems like the most savage fighter of them all.

chainer1216
2018-08-13, 08:54 PM
If you dont train that gabbite then you should just give up on being a trainer of badass pokemon, Garchomp is in the top 3 of badass.

Larvetar is another badass on, its line eats iron and when they rage they can destroy mountains!

Rynjin
2018-08-14, 12:53 AM
Golisopod is my new favorite bug. Big, mean, and can speed blitz. Would be rough to fistfight.

Knaight
2018-08-14, 02:04 AM
I'd add Sandslash to the list. It's not martial arts, but there's something about the elegant simplicity of spikes and big digging claws. Plus ground moves just have that badass feel.

Then there's Arbok. Sure, it's basically just inheriting its badassness from cobras, but cobras are badass snakes, so it still works. The serpent body plan is just generally amenable to this, which also explains the badassitude of gyrados, onyx, steelix, dragonair, etc.

OracleofWuffing
2018-08-14, 02:39 AM
Seconding taking Gabite into Garchomp. It is a Shark that is also a Dragon. Kinda hard to get more badass than that.

Zangoose wants to claw your face off, and also looks like he has a scar on his face. It's whole thing with Seviper is based off the concept that a mongoose will naturally prey on a snake, which would naturally prey upon a mongoose.

Aggron and/or Excadrill bring in some metal to being badass. Aggron patrols a mountain and ruthlessly beats up anyone messing with it's territory.

Aerodactyl, Kabutops, Rampardos, and Tyrantrum are all fossil pokemon that warrant a look.

Bisharp tries to be an expressionless killing machine.

Honchkrow is basically a mob boss.

Golurk is a sort-of gundam that flies by retracting its arms and legs into its torso and they become rockets.

Houndoom's like a skeleton dog sort-of that howls the Grim Reaper. More of a Special Attacker, but can still Physical Attack. Absol if you want a more directly attacking quadruped with a bit less death.

I kind of have a fiendish spot for Sableye, but your mileage will vary on that one.

Once upon a time, there was quite a meme involving Seaking which cannot be repeated on these boards without circumventing the board censorship filter. It prominently featured them causing major disasters. While their in-universe pokedex entries do not tend to lend themselves to the kind of attitude you seek, the meme most certainly did. Likewise, when Curse came out, a SWEPT BY LAPRAS meme made its rounds when it caught people off guard by buffing up its physical stats instead of its special attacks.

BWR
2018-08-14, 10:38 AM
I suggest (http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/comic/04192010)Mr. Fish (http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/comic/if-theres-one-thing-jared-is-competent-at-its-loving-mr-fish)
Laser fish! (http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/comic/the-one-youve-all-been-waiting-for)

GrayDeath
2018-08-15, 11:14 AM
I would have said Psyduck (though its german transaltion for once is much funnier^^), but Mr. laserfish.....is the better alternative for a humorous suggestion. ^^

Sapphire Guard
2018-08-15, 01:09 PM
Anime Jigglypuff.

Lord Joeltion
2018-08-15, 02:10 PM
Thank you all for the reply. Next session is coming closer and I think I can give him a wider list with all these.

I'm unclear if you're limited to Gen 1 and 2 Pokemon, or you only have Gen 1 and 2 Pokemon and want to expand outside that.

That's precisely my issue: I only know/remember gen 1-2; and practically forgotten everything about the anime. I was only a fan of the advance games; so my lore knowledge is pretty scarce. For instance, I had no idea you could falvour a Spinda that way, and now I'm pretty interested in the Drunken Master concept. Noice :smallbiggrin:

If you dont train that gabbite then you should just give up on being a trainer of badass pokemon, Garchomp is in the top 3 of badass.

Larvetar is another badass on, its line eats iron and when they rage they can destroy mountains!

Yes, my idea was to train Gabbite and possibly use him as my ride once he evolved :3 Another player has a Tyranitar already (she's a dark/ghost trainer) and I prefer having variety. Otherwise, yep, Larvitar would have been on my list.

Golisopod is my new favorite bug. Big, mean, and can speed blitz. Would be rough to fistfight.

I didn't knew there was a monster baser on another famous trading card game! although, TBH, I think my 13 yrs character would rather run from it than catch it. But if I ever decide I wanna go: "You just activated my Trap Card! I play my Summoned Skull!" I will try to find one of those.

I'd add Sandslash to the list. It's not martial arts, but there's something about the elegant simplicity of spikes and big digging claws. Plus ground moves just have that badass feel.

My only concern about Sandshlash (who I love, btw) is whether I want a regular one or the Alolan version. White looks more ninja-like; and ice is a cool typing; but there's something about Alola that makes me feel like something out of Muppetland.

I suggest (http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/comic/04192010)Mr. Fish (http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/comic/if-theres-one-thing-jared-is-competent-at-its-loving-mr-fish)
Laser fish! (http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/comic/the-one-youve-all-been-waiting-for)

Only if it comes in red :smallamused:

I would have said Psyduck (though its german transaltion for once is much funnier^^), but Mr. laserfish.....is the better alternative for a humorous suggestion. ^^

Why not PsyLaserDuck instead? I mean, Golduck is basically blue-lasergem-psyduck, isn't it? And he can learn Hyper Beam :smalltongue:

DragonBaneDM
2018-08-15, 06:27 PM
I want to rep my favorite Pokémon here: Cubone!

Band together with a Pokemon who’s backstory could belong to a DND Barbarian, get vengeance for their Mum, then they evolve into a cool staff fighter.

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2018-08-16, 01:39 AM
Well it's not super fighter related but for badassness you can't go wrong the a shiny Palossand, because everyone needs a sentient mind controlling haunted black sand castle.

But to be more serious I'll second Golisopod (Bug/Grass). Not only does it look like an armoured samurai, it's pokedex entries talk about starting its daily training regimens meditating under waterfalls. Also it evolves from a cowardly, almost useless Wimpod so there's story potential there, and its ability Emergency Exit implies that the cool badass power of Golisopod might be at least partly an act it puts on...

Starbuck_II
2018-08-17, 12:09 AM
I go with Golurk.
A badass bipedal automaton Pokémon resembling a suit of armor.
It flies by retracting its hands into its arms and its legs and feet into its body, then taking off like a rocket. That alone is badass.

It is immune to fighting and normal moves being part ghost.