PDA

View Full Version : Templates, Templates, Templates...

OneWinged4ngel
2007-09-13, 12:20 AM
I want to create a resource here (or find one if it already exists) to create handy references for people (most likely DMs) looking to spice up their monsters with templates (or other notable things that really put a twist on the standard troll or whatever it is.) I mean, geez, I have all these books, but I don't want to look through 20 to find some template I want, or homebrew something only to find out there was somethin' perfect buried in an old issue of dragon.

An obvious start is just posting a template, a brief description of what the heck it does, and the source so we can find it.

I will, of course, compile the list in the first post.

Can anyone help me out here?

WrathOfLife
2007-09-13, 12:58 AM
I'm not totally sure if we're allowed to link to it, but google for Crystal keep and Dungeons & Dragons and the d20-System.

Crystal keep has everything you talked about and more, its a good refference site.

Nebo_
2007-09-13, 01:05 AM
Here (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=854328) is a good start. It's not very descriptive, though. I'd be happy to help you out with setting this up. PM me if you're interested in the help.

Mewtarthio
2007-09-13, 08:07 AM
I have no idea how Crystal Keep is legal, but it's well-known enough that there's no way word of its existence has not reached WotC. I can only assume Wizards condones it. It's got virtually every template out there (as well as base classes, magic items, spells, and just about anything else), albeit with all the fluff stripped away.

bignate
2007-09-13, 08:10 AM
I have no idea how Crystal Keep is legal, but it's well-known enough that there's no way word of its existence has not reached WotC. I can only assume Wizards condones it. It's got virtually every template out there (as well as base classes, magic items, spells, and just about anything else), albeit with all the fluff stripped away.

i always assumed that wizards is ok with it because it is just an index with brief summaries. it usually doesnt contain everything you need to use the information. i know as a DM i dont allow things to used from there unless we have the book.

Lord Tataraus
2007-09-13, 08:13 AM
I'm not totally sure if we're allowed to link to it, but google for Crystal keep and Dungeons & Dragons and the d20-System.

Crystal keep has everything you talked about and more, its a good refference site.

I would second crystalkeep (http://crystalkeep.com/d20/index.php), while it is not perfect. It lacks some of the newer books, and only presents the first two levels of the PrCs. But it has most of the Dragon Magazine stuff. I always use it as a resource to build a character, then double check everything in my books (though I have yet to find an error).

Douglas
2007-09-13, 09:28 AM
I always use it as a resource to build a character, then double check everything in my books (though I have yet to find an error).
Keep double checking. I don't remember any specific examples atm, but it does have errors, some of them serious. Most of the information is correct, but don't depend on it.

Lord Tataraus
2007-09-13, 09:31 AM
Keep double checking. I don't remember any specific examples atm, but it does have errors, some of them serious. Most of the information is correct, but don't depend on it.

Heh, I don't use the templates that much, and yes, I don't completely trust it. I'm am very surprised I have not found errors yet, but I guess I haven't been using that stuff.

AtomicKitKat
2007-09-13, 09:39 AM
You could use the WotC CO board to springboard(ask the OP in that thread first I guess), then organise it by Combat, or Ability(ie, whichever stat it raises most), or Natural Armour, etc.