PDA

View Full Version : Things that go bump in the Shadowfel (5e Advice please).

Jcp1195
2018-08-13, 03:44 PM
Welcome to my first forum! (I hope to Kelemvor this is in the right place). Anyway, let me begin with a bit of background: One of my friends is running an original campaign in which I'm playing a Shadow Sorcerer. I've taken the party role of back-row Support Summoner and recently gained access to 5th level spells (Infernal Calling specifically) and my custom magic item (Basically a book that allows me to paint creatures into it and then summon them as a one-time construct ally).

Anyway, this custom world is connected to only one other realm, being of course the Shadowfell. Instead of summoning demons from Infernal Calling my friend has told me he'd like me to summon Shadowfell creatures to mix things up a bit. Now obviously I know about the Shadar-Kai and the classic Skulks and Darklings, but other than that I'm not very versed in Shadowfell creatures. What kind of things should I be looking to summon?

Peelee
2018-08-13, 04:26 PM
Welcome to my first forum! (I hope to Kelemvor this is in the right place).

Actually, youd want this in the Rokeplaying Games forum, and specifically the 5e subforum. I've already tagged it so the friendly model team will move it over when they get a chance. You don't have to do a thing (well, except go to that subforum fo see this thread once it's moved).

All that said, I'm not terribly familiar with the Shadowfell myself so I won't be much help, but once it's popped into the 5e section you should get more and better responses.

Unoriginal
2018-08-13, 05:11 PM
What kind of things should I be looking to summon?

The different categories of Sorrowsworn.

Millstone85
2018-08-13, 06:34 PM
Balhannoths (MToF p118)
Banderhobbs (VGtM p122)
Darkmantles (MM p46)
Meazels (MToF p214)
Shadow dragons (MM p84)
Shadow mastiffs (VGtM p190)

Vessyra
2018-08-14, 04:31 AM
Undead are common in the shadow fell. Ghouls, ghosts and zombies all reside there.

Millstone85
2018-08-14, 05:02 AM
Undead are common in the shadow fell. Ghouls, ghosts and zombies all reside there.Indeed, and there are at least two ways to approach this. Either the Shadowfell has long been contaminated by undeath, or it is a purgatorial antechamber of the afterlife where undeath is effectively a natural occurrence. The latter is more a 4e conception of the Shadowfell than a 5e one, but it is the one I prefer.

It could also be that not all forms of undeath are equal:
* Ghosts are totally normal.
* Near-mindless walking corpses are a consequence of the living intruding in the Shadowfell, and do not really affect the plane's balance. Successful colonies practise cremation.
* Higher undead, like vampires, are seen as competition by creatures of shadow.

Munckin3.5ed
2018-08-14, 07:08 AM
Shadows,ghosts,ghouls, vampires (but expect to barter)

Daithi
2018-08-14, 08:25 PM
I like the summoning spells and playing a Shadow Sorcerer that summons fiends sounds great.

I looked at playing a character like this, but the Sorcerer didn't have access to any of the fiend summoning spells or to Magic Circle. The Warlock does, but they do come at a stiff price since your spells slots are so limited. Oddly, the Sorcerer does get Planar Binding while the Warlock (who can actually summon the fiends) does not. Ultimately, I decided a Necromancer just made the better summoning character.

Nevertheless, it sounds like it would be fun playing a summoning Shadow Sorcerer that has some flexibility. I'd definitely be summoning Shadows and Shadows Mastiffs in your place, and I'm jealous of your character.

One of the reasons I liked the Necromancer as a summoner was for the potential to get a Nightwalker bound under your control (Command Undead at 14th level). The creature is from the Negative Plane but reachable through the Shadowfell and it is a CR 20 huge undead creature.