PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next I'm Out

Derpaligtr
2018-08-13, 04:51 PM
I'm out.

Don't want to deal with this site anymore :smallsigh:

Crisis21
2018-08-13, 11:09 PM
Death by 1000 paper cuts sounds very overpowered. It's instant death ability outstrips Power Word Kill by ignoring current hp, deals 10d10 necrotic on a failed save, you can delay its activation for up to a minimum of 17 days, has an activation range of same plane of existence, and your monk can apparently use it at least five times per long rest?

Broken. Broken, broken, broken, broken.

Edit: Just looked at Way of the Open Hand which does the same thing. Which is honestly nuts. Who at WotC thought this was balanced?

Derpaligtr
2018-08-13, 11:14 PM
Death by 1000 paper cuts sounds very overpowered. It's instant death ability outstrips Power Word Kill by ignoring current hp, deals 10d10 necrotic on a failed save, you can delay its activation for up to a minimum of 17 days, has an activation range of same plane of existence, and your monk can apparently use it at least five times per long rest?

Broken. Broken, broken, broken, broken.

Ummm... The monk gaina this ability already.

Quivering Palm
At 17th level, you gain the ability to set up lethal vibrations in someone’s body. When you hit a creature with an unarmed strike, you can spend 3 ki points to start these imperceptible vibrations, which last for a number of days equal to your monk level. The vibrations are harmless unless you use your action to end them. To do so, you and the target must be on the same plane of existence. When you use this action, the creature must make a Constitution saving throw. If it fails, it is reduced to 0 hit points. If it succeeds, it takes 10d10 necrotic damage.

You can have only one creature under the effect of this feature at a time. You can choose to end the vibrations harmlessly without using an action.

Unless I messed up somewhere re-fluffing it... There's no way that mine is more unbalanced than the original.

Crisis21
2018-08-13, 11:24 PM
Unless I messed up somewhere re-fluffing it... There's no way that mine is more unbalanced than the original.

Minute before you posted:

Edit: Just looked at Way of the Open Hand which does the same thing. Which is honestly nuts. Who at WotC thought this was balanced?

Derpaligtr
2018-08-14, 09:09 AM
Minute before you posted:

I hit reply to reply and then got paranoid that I got something lost in fluff-translation and went to go check to make sure Quivering Palm still worked the same way :smallbiggrin:

I'm guessing WotC figures not a lot of people play high levels so why even bother making things balanced at those levels, we have plenty of high level features that could be sub 8th level after all.

Vogie
2018-08-14, 10:16 AM
Well this is just silly.

I'm also quite sad there wasn't a full redesign of the 4 Elements Monk that was 100% cooking based.

I've already had an idea brewing around of a druid that acts as an Origami Mage (Conjure Origami Animals, healing spells are bandages, Wild shape is just reshaping their paper armor into animal shapes). I am now convinced that I should make this concept as a monk subclass, and between a this and the cooking monk, I should be busy for a while.

Derpaligtr
2018-08-14, 11:03 AM
Well this is just silly.

I'm also quite sad there wasn't a full redesign of the 4 Elements Monk that was 100% cooking based.

I've already had an idea brewing around of a druid that acts as an Origami Mage (Conjure Origami Animals, healing spells are bandages, Wild shape is just reshaping their paper armor into animal shapes). I am now convinced that I should make this concept as a monk subclass, and between a this and the cooking monk, I should be busy for a while.

Thank you. I wanted a bit of silly in these Monk traditions.

I have "The Way of the Cup Noodle" brewing in my head and it shall be glorious, even if designed poorly.

I love the origami idea! You should do a sub-class for a few different classes based around paper.

Make a samurai who uses a paper fan for the Fighter.

A origami-animal summoner sounds great as a Druid.

A ro-sham-bo Monk (rock-paper-scissors) that kicks enemies in the "weak spot".

Crisis21
2018-08-14, 12:21 PM
T
I have "The Way of the Cup Noodle" brewing in my head and it shall be glorious, even if designed poorly.

Blessed be the food of our savior. R-Amen.

Derpaligtr
2018-08-14, 07:20 PM
Blessed be the food of our savior. R-Amen.

BEHOLD! The noodle dragon R-Amen and his faithful ward the samurai.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b2/33/7c/b2337c357bd887e15eceb6fbaf0c024c.jpg

Fire Tarrasque
2018-08-14, 09:13 PM
In full honesty:

This Monk's abilities are REALLY janky.

You've got one that advocates dashing around, you've got one that advocates hanging back around the edges of the fight, you've got a utility to allow yourself to either move away from the rest of the party or have your Wizard save a few spell slots, and finally, you've got WOTOH's capstone.

Also, there are no deflections or cup noodles going on here.

5/10. Serviceable and balanced. However, it has the issue of whenever something is thematic, it's not mechanically original, and when something is mechanically original, it's in no way thematic. Or it's neither.

Tl;dr it's okay.

Derpaligtr
2018-08-14, 09:23 PM
In full honesty:

This Monk's abilities are REALLY janky.

You've got one that advocates dashing around, you've got one that advocates hanging back around the edges of the fight, you've got a utility to allow yourself to either move away from the rest of the party or have your Wizard save a few spell slots, and finally, you've got WOTOH's capstone.

Also, there are no deflections or cup noodles going on here.

5/10. Serviceable and balanced. However, it has the issue of whenever something is thematic, it's not mechanically original, and when something is mechanically original, it's in no way thematic. Or it's neither.

Tl;dr it's okay.

I'm very ok with something being "serviceable and balanced", actually that's where I would love to see things at! I don't particularly care for power creep, so if these were overly powerful/useful/broken then that would be worse.

Please don't take Way of the Cup Noodle too serious. The point of it is to make a Monastic Tradition that conceptualizes the craze of FF XV's cup noodle love. Eventually I hope it's good mechanically but I'll get there when I get there. :smallsmile: