PDA

View Full Version : Index What is a complete, yet broad list of all RPG skills that can be medieval and modern?

Yukimori
2018-08-13, 06:48 PM
I'm kind of trying to build a balanced character and I want him to have some skills to choose from. I'd prefer all types of skills to be listed but I'll need at least some support, attack combat and defense combat skills. I'd also like to have appraise for sure but I want him to be a balanced character.

Knaight
2018-08-13, 07:01 PM
There is no such thing as a complete list of RPG skills - but GURPS seems to be trying its best to compile one, so I'd look there.

Mr Beer
2018-08-13, 08:11 PM
There is no such thing as a complete list of RPG skills - but GURPS seems to be trying its best to compile one, so I'd look there.

Seconding this.

Also if you google 'Kromms list of skills every adventurer ought to have' you can locate one GURPS author's opinion on 'everyman' skills for adventurers and action heroes.

GunDragon
2018-08-17, 04:11 PM
Appraisal (it annoys me that this skill is nowhere to be found in 5th edition D&D. Characters automatically know the worth of all items. Like...what???)
Perception
Stealth
Athletics (this one can be subdivided into things like Climb, Swim, Acrobatics, Parkour, etc.)
Perform (Dancing, Singing, Playing Instruments)
Sleight of Hand/Pick Pocket
Survival
Security (this one can be subdivided into things like Computer Hacking, Lockpicking, etc.)
Persuasion (can include things like Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidation)
Healing/Medical
Explosives
Alchemy/Chemistry
Gunmanship
Archery
Throwing
Endurance (each rank in this could increase a character's max HP)
Reflex (this one might be better as an attribute however)
Psychology/Sense Motive
Driving/Piloting
Engineering/Repair/Metalworking
Melee (sometimes I divide this one into Brutal Melee for Strength and Finesse Melee for Agility/Dexterity)

These above skills are all ones I have used in past RPGs that I have created. It takes a great deal of experimentation to figure them all out. Sometimes certain skills aren't needed for a certain game (such as persuasion not being used much in a hack & slash RPG).
Sometimes you need a lot of different skills so that the game isn't too easy. Sometimes you don't want a lot of arguing when it comes to what skill applies to what, and so you shorten the list.
It all depends on what specifically you want out of the game.