PDA

View Full Version : How are my changes to the “animate dead” spell?

Fbj
2018-08-13, 09:16 PM
I want to play a necromancer, but the school’s abilities aren’t quite what I imagined. At high levels, I’d like to be able to create a zombie version of any creature I come across (zombie dragon sounds amazing) instead of only creating skeletons, zombies, wights, ghouls, and mummies out of humanoids. I thought of some changes to the Animate dead spell, allowing this:

“If the remains of non-humanoid creatures are available, you may forgo the creation of a zombie or skeleton and instead animate those remains to create an undead version of that creature. The new undead creature(s) may have unique stats and abilities reflecting its capabilities in life. The max total experience point value of the creature(s) raised must be equal to or less than the total experience point value of the greatest number of zombies or skeletons that could be raised at the level of casting. For example, casting this spell with a ninth-level spell slot could raise thirteen zombies, each with an individual xp value of 50 for a total value of 650 xp. Instead, you may raise one or more unique undead creatures with a max total xp value of 650, provided that their remains are present. The xp value of a specific undead creature raised in this way is less that the xp value of the creature in life. For example, an undead Young Red Dragon may have an xp value of 2900 instead of 5900, reflecting its weakened state as a result of its missing life force. In addition, a wizard belonging to the school of necromancy may expend more than one spell slot in the creation of individual undead. For instance, at level 19, a necromancer wizard could utilize all of his or her spell slots of third level and higher in the casting of this spell for the ability to create unique undead with a combined xp value up to 6950 (the xp value of all zombies/skeletons that would otherwise be created by this process). By doing so, a wizard could animate two undead Young Red Dragons plus additional creatures worth 1050 xp. Animating undead creatures besides zombies and skeletons requires ten minutes of casting (be sure to inform your DM well ahead of time if planning to animate a specific creature, as configuring undead weakened stats, xp values/CR, and abilities can require much consideration. Refer to page 274 of the DMG to determine CR/ xp value and stat reconfiguration). All creatures animated by you obey your commands in the same manner as zombies and skeletons. In order to reassert control over non-humanoid undead creatures, you must expend spell slots equal to the number of spell slots used to create the creature.”

JackPhoenix
2018-08-13, 10:05 PM
Unnecessarily complicated and potentially overpowered.

Fbj
2018-08-13, 11:25 PM
Well I figured that working out new challenge ratings and equating them to possible numbers of zombies would make sure that it stays reasonable for the really high spell slot cost. Definitely complicated, but maybe that’s worth it for being able to control an undead dragon.

Mellack
2018-08-13, 11:37 PM
Sounds like it would take a lot of time coming up with the proper stats and abilities for each creature. That would slow down the game. Your table would have to determine if that was acceptable to you.

MaxWilson
2018-08-13, 11:38 PM
Well I figured that working out new challenge ratings and equating them to possible numbers of zombies would make sure that it stays reasonable for the really high spell slot cost. Definitely complicated, but maybe that’s worth it for being able to control an undead dragon.

You realize you can already control an undead dragon via Command Undead? (Ideally with Feeblemind.) Finding an undead dragon in the first place is a bit of a trick, but if you can't find a dracolich anywhere you could potentially create one with True Polymorph (e.g. from another dragon, maybe some kind of BBEG, after you've defeated it and reduced it to 0 HP) and then take control of that.

Anyway, I don't foresee any serious problems with the balance of the spell, but it is quite complicated and wordy. I'd suggest instead building off of something like Create Undead or Conjure Fey, e.g. a 6th level spell to animate a CR 3 undead creature and control it for a day (renewable), +1 CR for every spell slot level beyond that up to CR 6 at 9th level.

dragoeniex
2018-08-14, 12:09 AM
Here's a really nicely-done homebrew necromancer class with subclasses- one of which focuses on more unique raises. Including intelligent ones.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HJ-SFGQV5G

If you follow that subclass, there are quite a few power checks to prevent your undead minion from being kept forever or being overpowered, but still a lot of room to get creative or poke interesting dynamics. And it gives you the opportunity later to pull even more limits off what can be raised- which is saying something, since it was pretty broad to begin with.

Currently running a lv 5 focusing on that subclass in one game, and it's been pretty neat. Check it out and see if it scratches that necrotic itch for you.

Fbj
2018-08-14, 12:12 AM
Yeah really wordy. Thanks everyone for taking the time to read it. And thanks for the tips.