PDA

View Full Version : Tips & Tricks for Suppressing a Lich's Fear Aura?

BlackOnyx
2018-08-14, 02:29 AM
Asking for "a friend" should certain things in a current campaign pan out.

For context, this question is in reference to the four level lich template class released by Sean K. Reynolds from WoTC. Among other things, it grants lich PCs a fear aura for the final three levels of the progression (once construction on the phylactery has begun).

In the description for the aura, it is noted that the fear aura can be dampened by "concealing" said lich's "withered flesh" and "glowing red eyes." This seems to indicate that:

A.) The aura cannot be consciously suppressed

B.) The process of becoming a lich begets immediate and noticeable changes in appearance (vs. simply appearing pale/gaunt)

At the very least, that is how my DM and I have decided to interpret it.

That said, if a lich wished to continue mingling with their companions in polite society, what are some creative techniques/spell uses that could be used to disguise their undeadedness (aside from suddenly wearing a cloak and mask 24/7)?

Concerning a couple of the more obvious options:

- Disguise Undead is a solid go-to, but unexpected dispels and true seeing make me nervous. (Both are commonly thrown around in our campaign.)

- High disguise checks are nice, but 5% of attempts still end in critical fails.

Saintheart
2018-08-14, 02:36 AM
A good old Hat of Disguise couldn't do the trick since all you have to do is basically hide your exterior?

noob
2018-08-14, 04:59 AM
Asking for "a friend" should certain things in a current campaign pan out.

For context, this question is in reference to the four level lich template class released by Sean K. Reynolds from WoTC. Among other things, it grants lich PCs a fear aura for the final three levels of the progression (once construction on the phylactery has begun).

In the description for the aura, it is noted that the fear aura can be dampened by "concealing" said lich's "withered flesh" and "glowing red eyes." This seems to indicate that:

A.) The aura cannot be consciously suppressed

B.) The process of becoming a lich begets immediate and noticeable changes in appearance (vs. simply appearing pale/gaunt)

At the very least, that is how my DM and I have decided to interpret it.

That said, if a lich wished to continue mingling with their companions in polite society, what are some creative techniques/spell uses that could be used to disguise their undeadedness (aside from suddenly wearing a cloak and mask 24/7)?

Concerning a couple of the more obvious options:

- Disguise Undead is a solid go-to, but unexpected dispels and true seeing make me nervous. (Both are commonly thrown around in our campaign.)

- High disguise checks are nice, but 5% of attempts still end in critical fails.
critical failures on skill checks are an optional rule that normal people do not use because it is plain weird to discover the best swimmers make a mistake and drown every 20 times they enter a pool.

Jack_Simth
2018-08-14, 07:06 AM
Generally speaking, when you're actually putting on the disguise and making the check, "your character is not being threatened or distracted" - so just take ten. As it's an opposed check, spells like Moment of Prescience apply.

BlackOnyx
2018-08-14, 11:26 PM
A good old Hat of Disguise couldn't do the trick since all you have to do is basically hide your exterior?

Good point. Even in the case of a sudden dispel, this would allow one to regain the effect ASAP. A good fallback for day to day use, even if True Seeingcan pierce it.

critical failures on skill checks are an optional rule that normal people do not use because it is plain weird to discover the best swimmers make a mistake and drown every 20 times they enter a pool.

The variant we're playing with adds a +10 to every natural 20 (30) and a -10 to every natural 1 (-9). A high risk/high reward scenario, I suppose? (Either way, it's one dynamic that won't be changing at this point.)

You do have a good point, though; a crit fail style system does make it difficult for anyone to rp as a true master of their craft.

Generally speaking, when you're actually putting on the disguise and making the check, "your character is not being threatened or distracted" - so just take ten. As it's an opposed check, spells like Moment of Prescience apply.

...I will ask on this. It certainly makes sense with something like the Disguise skill where the results are plainly visible. (Personally, I think a take 20 could be awarded if someone with the right supplies made a night of it.)

As an undead (with no need to sleep and fewer bodily functions to deal with), one good makeover could potentially last a while. Coupled with illusions as a failsafe, that could work pretty slick.

Jack_Simth
2018-08-15, 12:59 AM
...I will ask on this. It certainly makes sense with something like the Disguise skill where the results are plainly visible. (Personally, I think a take 20 could be awarded if someone with the right supplies made a night of it.)

As an undead (with no need to sleep and fewer bodily functions to deal with), one good makeover could potentially last a while. Coupled with illusions as a failsafe, that could work pretty slick.

Fun stuff:
Most Illusion / Transmutation effects that aide in disguising yourself add a flat +10 (and most don't stack with each other). Moment of Prescience is +CL (max 25), and just affects the skill check, which makes the disguise itself mundane. True Seeing doesn't penetrate as a result. Your disguise from Disguise Self is worse. Which you can take advantage of as an example: use the good, mundane disguise to make yourself an older gentleman, and a lesser illusory disguise to make yourself seem a younger copy of the same person. Anyone penetrating the illusion sees... a perfectly understandable reason to use an illusion. Few will probe further without additional cause beyond the magical effect they just got through (whether via save, spell, or Spot).

BlackOnyx
2018-08-15, 05:52 AM
Fun stuff:
Most Illusion / Transmutation effects that aide in disguising yourself add a flat +10 (and most don't stack with each other). Moment of Prescience is +CL (max 25), and just affects the skill check, which makes the disguise itself mundane. True Seeing doesn't penetrate as a result. Your disguise from Disguise Self is worse.

Good call. May not have easy access to Moment of Prescience in this situation (divine caster), but it seems the Cleric 2 spell Divine Insight offers a similar boost (granted, at +15 rather than +25).

Which you can take advantage of as an example: use the good, mundane disguise to make yourself an older gentleman, and a lesser illusory disguise to make yourself seem a younger copy of the same person. Anyone penetrating the illusion sees... a perfectly understandable reason to use an illusion. Few will probe further without additional cause beyond the magical effect they just got through (whether via save, spell, or Spot).

You bring up a good point here. Having (or appearing to have) an "acceptable" reason to use illusions would help cut down on the risks of using them in the first place. Old age, thinning hair, a gaunt (but very much living) appearance with sunken eyes...all good reasons a more social adventurer might want to alter their appearance in public.