PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Command Spell

Avoc
2018-08-14, 03:13 AM
I have recently started using the command spell. Does the spell have a DC against it or does the creature have to comply?
Also, does the Command spell also affect anyone in shouting distance or just 1 creature

Unoriginal
2018-08-14, 03:16 AM
You speak a one-word command to a creature you can see within range. The target must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or follow the command on its next turn. The spell has no effect if the target is Undead, if it doesn't understand your language, or if your command is directly harmful to it.

I'm not sure what's not clear?

EDIT: put the correct wording

Lunali
2018-08-14, 03:18 AM
"You speak a one-word command to a creature you can see within range. The target must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or follow the command on its next turn." So it's a wisdom save, with a DC of whatever the caster's spell save DC is, it targets a single creature. If you're using it on players, they get to decide how to interpret the one word you use, if they use it on a creature, you decide how the creature would interpret it.

DeTess
2018-08-14, 03:23 AM
Unoriginal, are you sure that's the wording of command? That looks like its from an ongoing effect, while command is one-time.

According to the SRD, the wording is as follows:

You speak a one-word command to a creature you can see within range. The target must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or follow the command on its next turn. The spell has no effect if the target is undead, if it doesn't understand your language, or if your command is directly harmful to it.

Kadesh
2018-08-14, 03:25 AM
Unoriginal, are you sure that's the wording of command? That looks like its from an ongoing effect, while command is one-time.

What on going effect? o.O

DeTess
2018-08-14, 03:31 AM
What on going effect? o.O

....I misread actually (and apologies for that, Unoriginal). I thought his version mentioned they'd obey untill they succeeded in a wisdom save, not unless.

Unoriginal
2018-08-14, 03:33 AM

It was for 5e's Command, but apparently not the book's wording.

DeTess
2018-08-14, 03:34 AM
It was for 5e's Command, but apparently not the book's wording.

yeah, as I mentioned, I'd misread what you'd written and thought it referred to an ongoing effect when that wasn't the case. Sorry about that, and what you put up was actually correct.

Ninja_Prawn
2018-08-14, 11:58 AM
anyone in shouting distance

In addition to what others have said, the spell also has a defined range - 60 feet - not just 'shouting distance', which is undefined but presumably much longer.