PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Quasi Tiering of classes by damage per round?

gooddragon1
2018-08-14, 03:25 AM
I know that there's a tier list for classes of 1-6 +truenamer, but is there a tier system that sorts by damage per round anywhere?

More specifically, in some games a certain damage per round would be acceptable but a different damage per round would be acceptable. Optimally something sorted by base attack bonus, evaluating damage per round at various levels on a class by class basis with low/medium/high options relating to low,medium,high gear/book access. To be fair, I'd settle for less since being that specific is unlikely to generate results, but results more in that direction would be nicer to see what each class is capable of accomplishing at various levels.

DeTess
2018-08-14, 03:30 AM
I know that there's a tier list for classes of 1-6 +truenamer, but is there a tier system that sorts by damage per round anywhere?

More specifically, in some games a certain damage per round would be acceptable but a different damage per round would be acceptable. Optimally something sorted by base attack bonus, evaluating damage per round at various levels on a class by class basis with low/medium/high options relating to low,medium,high gear/book access. To be fair, I'd settle for less since being that specific is unlikely to generate results, but results more in that direction would be nicer to see what each class is capable of accomplishing at various levels.

purely in hp-damage per round, just about any class can be optimized to do any amount of damage you'd want them to do, assuming you can use a lot of books. As long as the sources necessary for a basic ubercharger are on the table, any martial can do 'enough' damage, while spellcasters have spells and stuff like empower and maximize (and with the right books they can use metamagic reducers to do this all day).

Basically, if all you care about is dpr in a PvE scenario, any class can be optimized to do as much damage as you need (yes, even truenamer... I think).

Troacctid
2018-08-14, 03:31 AM
You're talking about tiering builds, not classes. Every character won't deal the same DPR as another character of the same class. That's not how this edition works.

OgresAreCute
2018-08-14, 04:03 AM
I imagine any number of tier 1 and 2 casters can use loops to deal infinite damage.

Goaty14
2018-08-14, 12:11 PM
Person_Man's Ranked Niches (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?314701-Person_Man-s-Niche-Ranking-System)

I think I heard somebody say, somewhere, that you should be able to (at a minimum) be able to deal damage equal to 5*ECL.

Telonius
2018-08-14, 01:53 PM
There would be a few big issues on figuring out DPR. Something like a Rogue, for instance, can have vastly different DPR depending on what they're facing (undead, constructs, oozes, etc), or whether or not they get flanking. For a Ranger, it would depend if the enemy is Favored or not. Spells throw it off further. A caster built around save or die spells would have DPR of either "Nothing" or "All of it." Even with a more typical blaster, you're not just getting xd6 damage; it would depend on what they're facing (does it have energy resistance or immunity, is the spell single-target or multiple-target, are they in a convenient line or clump or are they spread out).

sleepyphoenixx
2018-08-14, 02:29 PM
DPR depends mostly on feats and ability scores, not class. So such a sorting would be useless and highly subjective.
Pretty much every class can be build to do enough damage to kill anything remotely level-appropriate in 1 round.
If you're restricting book access who wins out depends entirely on what books you're banning, but even core-only has a pretty high variance depending on optimization level.

gooddragon1
2018-08-14, 10:46 PM
I definitely did not think about variations within classes. I was hoping for sort of an average on a class by class basis, but with the number of variables discussed that looks unlikely I guess.

Person_Man's Ranked Niches (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?314701-Person_Man-s-Niche-Ranking-System)

I think I heard somebody say, somewhere, that you should be able to (at a minimum) be able to deal damage equal to 5*ECL.

Is that 5*ECL before or after damage reduction?

Also, that link is promising. I haven't read past the second post, but I'm wondering if it was sort of guesswork or somewhat mathematical?

noce
2018-08-15, 03:08 AM
Damage per round is not useful at all.

Beguilers (and other Save or Die casters) can end an encounter in one round, while having an effective damage per round of 0.

Eldan
2018-08-15, 06:04 AM
I imagine any number of tier 1 and 2 casters can use loops to deal infinite damage.

Melee too, if you want to go there. I know at least two.