PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Multiclass Diety Help

nickl_2000
2018-08-14, 07:20 AM
Good Morning,

I'm playing a game set in the pathfinder world (Rise of the Runelord's if it makes a difference) that has been changed to play in D&D 5e. As a player, I struggle with optimization vs roleplay when it comes to my character. The optimized in me would really like to multi-class him into a Arcana Domain Cleric, but I can't figure out how it would make sense from the roleplay perspective.

The character is a Mwangi human Druid dedicated to Gozreh. He grew up as a nomad and travelling veterinarian, but has left his home as an adult. Now he is far away in a campaign in Varisia.
*Note: My campaign trait is Two-World Magic from Sargava, the Lost Colony pg. 23 if that makes a difference

Any thoughts on what would make sense, or should I abandon the optimization completely and go with a Nature domain (which will be much less optimal, but make way more sense from a character perspective)?

Elricaltovilla
2018-08-14, 07:32 AM
If your character is already a druid in Pathfinder, why is he not staying a druid in 5e as well?

Optimization isn't an either/or situation. It's not a binary choice between Pun-pun and a featless fighter. You should be trying to match your character's capabilities to the capabilities of the rest of the party.

If you don't want to play "the most powerful choice" (which it almost never is) then don't. Pick a character that makes sense first then make the choices to make them effective.

nickl_2000
2018-08-14, 07:37 AM
If your character is already a druid in Pathfinder, why is he not a druid in 5e as well?

Optimization isn't an either/or situation. It's not a binary choice between Pun-pun and a featless fighter. You should be trying to match your character's capabilities to the capabilities of the rest of the party.

If you don't want to play "the most powerful choice" (which it almost never is) then don't. Pick a character that makes sense first then make the choices to make them effective.

Okay, let me re-phrase this. My character is a Druid already, level 10 in the campaign. For reason of flexibility and fitting the party role he is already in better, I want to take a few levels in Cleric. Arcana Domain will give me more features and usefulness of the character, but Nature would be more fitting from an RP perspective. So, I'm trying to figure out how to make it work.

Elricaltovilla
2018-08-14, 07:57 AM
Okay, let me re-phrase this. My character is a Druid already, level 10 in the campaign. For reason of flexibility and fitting the party role he is already in better, I want to take a few levels in Cleric. Arcana Domain will give me more features and usefulness of the character, but Nature would be more fitting from an RP perspective. So, I'm trying to figure out how to make it work.

Yes, I was asking why you were bothering to multiclass in the first place.

As I understand it, Druid is already one of the strongest classes in 5e, so unless there is a major hole to plug in your party composition there is little reason to switch out. Especially as it seems like you don't want to do this.

Gozreh doesn't have the Arcana domain, so multiclassing cleric means switching deities. What you should do is find out the specific abilities you get from Cleric that you need, and whether or not the majority are tied to the class or the domain. You may not need the Arcana domain once you take the time to look at things.

Then you should take your questions to the 5e subforum, because you are asking about the mechanics of 5e, not Pathfinder. The people in this subforum are not as well equipped to offer mechanical suggestions as the people in the 5e subforum (though as always there is some crossover).

nickl_2000
2018-08-14, 08:05 AM
Yes, I was asking why you were bothering to multiclass in the first place.

As I understand it, Druid is already one of the strongest classes in 5e, so unless there is a major hole to plug in your party composition there is little reason to switch out. Especially as it seems like you don't want to do this.

Gozreh doesn't have the Arcana domain, so multiclassing cleric means switching deities. What you should do is find out the specific abilities you get from Cleric that you need, and whether or not the majority are tied to the class or the domain. You may not need the Arcana domain once you take the time to look at things.

Then you should take your questions to the 5e subforum, because you are asking about the mechanics of 5e, not Pathfinder. The people in this subforum are not as well equipped to offer mechanical suggestions as the people in the 5e subforum (though as always there is some crossover).

I appreciate the comments about mechanics and such. I'm looking at this for my own character, to be better at what he does and provide more flexibility (at the risk of getting to far into the mechanics of 5e in a 3.5 forum, with a single level sink into cleric I can pick up an additional 3+ at will cleric cantrips, 5 more prepared spells, and an additional skill proficiency. This will allow the character to have more high powered Druid spells prepared, while still keeping the needed healing spells ready to bring back allies from the dea). It will round out the character a little bit more and fill in some holes that I feel are needed into the character (I'm not doing this for others, but for the personal character).

So mechanics isn't the issue. I'm more concerned about the interaction of Dieties and regions and how that would work for a character. My research showed that Gozreh doesn't have anything related to magic as a domain or subdomain, so it didn't make sense to go with a magic domain. Is there another deity that Gozreh would be friendly with where it would make sense? Would there be another Good deity in the Mwangi region that would have the arcana domain where there wouldn't be jealousy?

Elricaltovilla
2018-08-14, 08:20 AM
The problem with asking that sort of question to this forum is that it isn't up to us. It's entirely up to your DM whether or not you are allowed to make that transition. From a cursory glance of the Pathfinder wiki, there doesn't appear to be anyone closely aligned with Gozreh that has the Arcana domain or anything similar.

nickl_2000
2018-08-14, 08:24 AM
From a cursory glance of the Pathfinder wiki, there doesn't appear to be anyone closely aligned with Gozreh that has the Arcana domain or anything similar.

That's what I was looking for :smallsmile: If it makes sense, I'm sure it would be something my DM would be fine with. However if, as you are saying, there isn't anyone close aligned with Gozreh that has a magic or arcana domain there is no point in fighting for it.

Thank you.