PDA

View Full Version : Rate my background #1 - Dan the warmage

Cogwheel
2007-09-13, 02:47 AM
My warmage character for a circus campaign, all the characters join a plane-hopping circus (the whirling gyre), and do various acts, gaining XP based almost entirely on roleplaying. Anyway, this is his background... what say you, playground? And yes, the moderate sarcasm below, as well as the silliness, is completely intended.

They were after him.

Again.

It wasn't as if he did anything to deserve being chased. Just lit a few buildings on fire, that's all. It wasn't as if someone was inside, he'd made sure of it, just a few burned houses. After all, couldn't you just build new ones? And the fires, the fires were so pretty...

Whatever might have been fair, not for the first time, he was captured. The judge dismissed the court almost as soon as Dan's name was mentioned, and he was thrown into a stone cell.

Stone walls, stone cell, horrid meals, a hard, wooden bed, the afternoon sun filtering in through the grates that some would call a window.

Time to get out of this dump.

With his customary subtlety, Dan converted a large section of stone wall into a smoking crater, stepping smartly out of the Lady's Justice prison, Sigil.

A few days later, he came upon a poster, advertising the last performance of the whirling gyre circus. To Dan, it was a dream come true. he had always wished that he could go to a circus. This was his greatest chance, and coupled with it, his greatest opportunity. If he joined the Whirling Gyre (something which took almost no effort), not only would he would no longer be hunted by the police (he, with his customary common sense, failed to take into account how obvious he would be), but he could actually be paid to make use of his talent. Two days later, Dan joined the Whirling Gyre.

True to his all-seeing wisdom, he never even thought to change his name.

Citizen Joe
2007-09-13, 07:17 AM
This backstory held my interest more than the warforged warlock.

Constructive criticism:

To Dan, it was a dream come true.

There's a wonderful opportunity for a twist here. His dream might not be to JOIN the circus, perhaps it was to blow stuff up and get paid for it.

As a final twist of fate, have him start out as all that join a circus do. Give him a shovel and follow the elephant.

Cogwheel
2007-09-13, 09:22 AM
This backstory held my interest more than the warforged warlock.

Constructive criticism:

There's a wonderful opportunity for a twist here. His dream might not be to JOIN the circus, perhaps it was to blow stuff up and get paid for it.

As a final twist of fate, have him start out as all that join a circus do. Give him a shovel and follow the elephant.

Glad you liked it - seems like you prefer semi-joke characters. Also, I could've sworn that I mentioned it, but the first twist is essentially why he wants to join the circus.

The second one... well, I don't think it would work, mostly because there would be too many burning chunks of fragged elephant involved at the end of the day:smalltongue: .