PDA

View Full Version : Feathers (Druid 4) from Masters of the Wild

Palanan
2018-08-14, 11:16 AM
One of my favorite spells from MotW is Feathers, athough I’ve only had the opportunity to use it once.

Was this ever updated, either in 3.5 or in Pathfinder? It doesn’t seem to appear in the 3.5 Spell Compendium. Is there a later version available, or has it fallen by the wayside?

heavyfuel
2018-08-14, 11:22 AM
I don't think there's an update for the spell. At least not in 3.5.]

Why can't you just use the 3.0 one?

Bronk
2018-08-14, 12:31 PM
Yeah, it looks like they took the 4th level Feathers spell and turned it into the 8th level Animal Shapes spell by allowing the shapes of all small or smaller animals instead of just birds, but then they forgot to list it as a replaced spell anywhere. I'm not finding the spell in any of the replacement lists either, so unless there's some list I'm missing I guess the original spell is still fair game.

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20050110x

Ramza00
2018-08-14, 04:12 PM
Once your party hits 12th level, legendary eagle (MM2) seems the desired form. Str 15, Dex 30, Con 17 with AC +10 Dex, +4 natural, fly 100 ft. (average).

sleepyphoenixx
2018-08-14, 04:41 PM
Once your party hits 12th level, legendary eagle (MM2) seems the desired form. Str 15, Dex 30, Con 17 with AC +10 Dex, +4 natural, fly 100 ft. (average).

It's not like anyone is going to use it to fight. Since it works off Polymorph it doesn't even function with Natural Spell. Its main use is travel and infiltration.
A legendary eagle is great for the first but probably not appropriate for the second in most situations.

Ramza00
2018-08-14, 05:55 PM
It's not like anyone is going to use it to fight. Since it works off Polymorph it doesn't even function with Natural Spell. Its main use is travel and infiltration.
A legendary eagle is great for the first but probably not appropriate for the second in most situations.

I see this as a travel form if you do not do teleport. The dex is for the high initiative in case you are ambushed. Sure you do not get the surprise round but you are more likely to go first in the following round. Which bird you pick with which dex may be helpful.

jdizzlean
2018-08-14, 10:17 PM
we used that in my last game session when it we were tactically retreating (running away) from a whole mess of vampires. turn the entire party to birds and gtfo by flying all day.

Palanan
2018-08-14, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by Bronk
Yeah, it looks like they took the 4th level Feathers spell and turned it into the 8th level Animal Shapes spell by allowing the shapes of all small or smaller animals instead of just birds, but then they forgot to list it as a replaced spell anywhere. I'm not finding the spell in any of the replacement lists either, so unless there's some list I'm missing I guess the original spell is still fair game.

Okay, thanks, that’s very helpful.

Also, I appreciate the link to the excellent reference page. Yet another obscure 3.5 resource I had no idea existed.

Originally Posted by jdizzlean
we used that in my last game session when it we were tactically retreating (running away) from a whole mess of vampires. turn the entire party to birds and gtfo by flying all day.

Better hope nobody was molting.

:smalltongue: