PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Duskblade questions for a friend

Angel_Heart
2018-08-14, 11:29 AM
Okay, complete noob here, asking for a friend who's a player in an internet place with no access to rules. He asked me these:

He's playing DnD 3.5

Q1.) I'm playing a Duskblade. Eventually I get the class ability Arcane Channeling (Su). With Arcane Channeling, as part of my Standard Action I cast any touch spell I know and deliver it through my weapon as a melee attack. When I hit, melee attack damage triggers normally and triggers first; then the effect of the spell is resolved.
Question: If I cast Shocking Grasp, do I add the normal +3 to Attack (if the opponent is wearing metal armor) to my initial melee attack? Since the spell is resolved last, I don't know whether I'd get this to my initial attack or not... please help.

Q2.) Duskblade again. Using Arcane Channeling, at 13th level I can cast any touch spell as part of my Full Attack Action. The spell affects each target I hit in melee combat that round. Doing so discharges said spell at the end of the round, in the case of a touch spell that would otherwise last longer than one round.
Question: I get it that if I hit, let's say three opponents, that round then all three are hit by my same spell (Vampiric Touch). But what if I hit the same opponent three times over? Will the Vampiric Touch trigger against the same person each and every time?

Q3.) Duskblade yet again. Using Arcane Channeling, I cast Bull's Strength into my blade and use the flat of my blade (non-lethal damage) to whack Bull's Strength into each of my allies in one turn.
Question: Is this a correct loophole that I can use to abuse my Duskblade powers?

Can someone help us ?

heavyfuel
2018-08-14, 11:35 AM
Okay, complete noob here, asking for a friend who's a player in an internet place with no access to rules. He asked me these:

He's playing DnD 3.5

Q1.) I'm playing a Duskblade. Eventually I get the class ability Arcane Channeling (Su). With Arcane Channeling, as part of my Standard Action I cast any touch spell I know and deliver it through my weapon as a melee attack. When I hit, melee attack damage triggers normally and triggers first; then the effect of the spell is resolved.
Question: If I cast Shocking Grasp, do I add the normal +3 to Attack (if the opponent is wearing metal armor) to my initial melee attack? Since the spell is resolved last, I don't know whether I'd get this to my initial attack or not... please help.

Q2.) Duskblade again. Using Arcane Channeling, at 13th level I can cast any touch spell as part of my Full Attack Action. The spell affects each target I hit in melee combat that round. Doing so discharges said spell at the end of the round, in the case of a touch spell that would otherwise last longer than one round.
Question: I get it that if I hit, let's say three opponents, that round then all three are hit by my same spell (Vampiric Touch). But what if I hit the same opponent three times over? Will the Vampiric Touch trigger against the same person each and every time?

Q3.) Duskblade yet again. Using Arcane Channeling, I cast Bull's Strength into my blade and use the flat of my blade (non-lethal damage) to whack Bull's Strength into each of my allies in one turn.
Question: Is this a correct loophole that I can use to abuse my Duskblade powers?

Can someone help us ?

A1) You only resolve the spell if the attack is successful. So no +3.

A2) No. It's one spell per person.

A3) It works, go for it.

Also, we have a sticky thread that's the Simple RAW Q&A. Very useful for rules questions that need a fast answer.

daremetoidareyo
2018-08-14, 11:38 AM
All of those look like valid rules interpretations. So yes yes and yes.

Actually, shocking grasp won't give you that +3 because of the stated orders of operation.

Make that no, yes, yes.

I don't see any prohibition against the spell firing off multiple times, completely divorced from whether or not the target is struck once or four times.

So long as it's a touch spell, your plans are fine. Remember that doing non lethal damage is a -4 to hit and go to town.

Angel_Heart
2018-08-14, 04:40 PM
Friend is still confused and I'm completely out:

Duskblade question (yet again). I'm confused here. So I'm using Arcane Channeling, 13th level, Full-Round Attack Action; I cast a touch spell into my blade, and let's say I have a reach weapon (glaive) and both enlarge person and haste cast on me. So I make four attacks at four creatures within 15 ft range of me. We'll pretend the spell is Shocking Grasp.
So I hit with all 4 attacks and each creature takes an additional 5d6 from my one spell.
Yet how come if I hit only the same one creature four times over the same Shocking Grasp doesn't discharge x4 times over stacking 20d6 on that one creature?
And if it doesn't work this way, is there some loophole I can exploit to stack the same spell onto the same creature?
So confused here #virginDuskblade

tyckspoon
2018-08-14, 07:37 PM

Duskblade question (yet again). I'm confused here. So I'm using Arcane Channeling, 13th level, Full-Round Attack Action; I cast a touch spell into my blade, and let's say I have a reach weapon (glaive) and both enlarge person and haste cast on me. So I make four attacks at four creatures within 15 ft range of me. We'll pretend the spell is Shocking Grasp.
So I hit with all 4 attacks and each creature takes an additional 5d6 from my one spell.
Yet how come if I hit only the same one creature four times over the same Shocking Grasp doesn't discharge x4 times over stacking 20d6 on that one creature?
And if it doesn't work this way, is there some loophole I can exploit to stack the same spell onto the same creature?

This is, as best as I know, an unresolved question about the Duskblade, and I don't think it has an unambiguous RAW answer. So that's mostly gonna come down to 'ask your DM'. Personally, I allow it, because getting to whale on one enemy with 3 or 4 Shocking Grasps or Vampiric Touches is pretty much the only reason to take Duskblade that high; if you can't stack hits onto one thing you realllly want dead, you'd have prestiged out of the class seven or eight levels earlier.

daremetoidareyo
2018-08-14, 07:40 PM
This is, as best as I know, an unresolved question about the Duskblade, and I don't think it has an unambiguous RAW answer. So that's mostly gonna come down to 'ask your DM'. Personally, I allow it, because getting to whale on one enemy with 3 or 4 Shocking Grasps or Vampiric Touches is pretty much the only reason to take Duskblade that high; if you can't stack hits onto one thing you realllly want dead, you'd have prestiged out of the class seven or eight levels earlier.

A 7th level spell slot on an equivalently levelled Wizard or cleric is as good as 2 shocking grasp full attacks. It's balanced to allow

heavyfuel
2018-08-14, 11:12 PM

I'd say that "the spell affects each target you hit in melee" is unambiguously "each". Hit 3 targets, all are affected. Hit one target three times, one target is affected. It's not "each time you hit a target in melee", it's "each target you hit in melee".

Question about "how come" usually boil down to "because the rules say so".

If your friend doesn't like it, he talk to the DM and hope they allow it. The Duskblade, however, is a very well balanced class already, and really doesn't need such a massive buff.