PDA

View Full Version : Improving recurring villain: Kraken Priest

Rhunder
2018-08-14, 12:08 PM
I am DMing a campaign and the party will soon be running into the villain for the 3rd time. Possibly even with the advantage of a small army. Our Villain is the Kraken Priest that's been slightly buffed. The first encounter the party barely survived a barrage of minions(Sea spawn and a deep Scion). The 2nd, they forced the villain to retreat but they weren't really any better off.

The Kraken Priest rides a dragon turtle, has an army of Sea spawn, well placed deep scions and knowledge of the party. What magic items/preparitions should this villain have?

The party is a 5th level 4 man team. With two melee warriors, an flying assassin rogue(Archer), and a warlock. The rogue presented the biggest issue, using poison and firing from 300 ft away. Thanks in advance for any help!

Unoriginal
2018-08-14, 12:16 PM
An Eversmoking Bottle.

Won't trouble the underwater troops, make it harder to hit at range.

Or maybe he could have stolen a tentacle rod from the drow, and you could add a drow agent tasked to bring it back who's willing to work with the PCs.

Maybe a Bag of Tricks that release amphibious creatures.

Rhunder
2018-08-14, 03:22 PM
An Eversmoking Bottle.

Won't trouble the underwater troops, make it harder to hit at range.

Or maybe he could have stolen a tentacle rod from the drow, and you could add a drow agent tasked to bring it back who's willing to work with the PCs.

Maybe a Bag of Tricks that release amphibious creatures.

The eversmoking bottle is perfect for his next arrival. But it won't help in combat as none of the bad guys can see in that when out of water. Still awesome image as smoke rolls in from the ocean. Bag of tricks is similar to the strategy I have going for the attack. The rod is interesting and campaign appropriate but I feel like, why wouldnt the Priest just hit them his melee? It's stronger than the rod.

Right now, I'm considering custom magic items like a cloak that helps with concentration and gives resistance to lightning. Maybe a weapon or staff...

Unoriginal
2018-08-14, 05:32 PM
The eversmoking bottle is perfect for his next arrival. But it won't help in combat as none of the bad guys can see in that when out of water.

Doesn't matter: if the PCs can't see either, it'll give everyone advantage and disadvantage, so no one is hindered. On the other hand, it WILL make the people in the smoke harder to hit at range.

Also:

https://youtu.be/J-Z6Ar814t8

Bag of tricks is similar to the strategy I have going for the attack. The rod is interesting and campaign appropriate but I feel like, why wouldnt the Priest just hit them his melee? It's stronger than the rod.

What do you mean? The Tentacle Rod has +9 to hit, allows you to make 3 attacks per round at a range of 15ft, and there is a DC 15 DEX save to avoid the debuff if you're hit.

Sure it might do less damage than the Priest's melee power, but it has waaaaaay more chances to hit at a longer distance, allows him to deal with bigger groups, and hinder his foes to make them easier prey for his goods.

Vogie
2018-08-15, 08:51 AM
Magic items for use or as potential loot:

A bracelet that gives the warlock the Claw of Acamar invocation (from the warlock UA) which gives the ability to create a tentacle flail with reach and a smite ability... gives the warlock this ability even if they aren't Pact of the Blade.
Dragon-Turtle Shell Shield that gives the Amphibious property and resistance to fire.
Dragon-Turtle Plate Armor that gives a steam breath ability
Circlet that can charm a Sea spawn or Deep Scion
Melee weapon that gives the command spell 1/LR
Wand of Tidal Wave
Kraken Eye - Slotless item - Small Orb that gives 30 ft blindsight while the wielder is in the water. Also acts as an arcane focus, not that your party would care.
Inkbow - This longbow gives 120 ft darkvision. and 1/LR can cause inky blackness to leak out of the bow, as the spell darkness, but the wielder can see through the darkness created in this way. If the darkness effect is used under water, the can refresh on a short rest instead.

Rhunder
2018-08-15, 12:32 PM
What do you mean? The Tentacle Rod has +9 to hit, allows you to make 3 attacks per round at a range of 15ft, and there is a DC 15 DEX save to avoid the debuff if you're hit.

Sure it might do less damage than the Priest's melee power, but it has waaaaaay more chances to hit at a longer distance, allows him to deal with bigger groups, and hinder his foes to make them easier prey for his goods.

Good point. And that's exactly why I like coming here. And Vogie, that wand of tidal wave is perfect. The deep Scion spies will have them now. It solves so many problems for me. Alright, I think that is a good step in the right direction. Thanks for the help and let me know if you have any more ideas. I'm hoping he keeps getting away and returning and may have this guy keeps growing to match the PCs.