PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Creating NPCs

Kojiro Kakita
2007-09-13, 02:56 AM
Well, I have been asked to DM a group recently. This group is made up of fairly new players (1 Year of play). However, looking over their characters, they seemed to have screwed up in character creation. Due to this, I plan to restart the campaign and begin my own. However, while I plan to have them create new characters, I plan to kill off their current characters. Because this is the case, I need some help creating NPC.

I need a lvl 9 wizard (planning to have him as a blaster. I would like to have him use Force Cage/ Cloudkill combo but I would have to raise his lvl (I can raise it to a maximum of 10)

I also need a lvl 6 Paladin and a lvl 6 assasin

Say a 38 point stat buy. Gold by lvl for giving them items.

Any help will be appreciated.

AslanCross
2007-09-13, 05:36 AM
First of all I'm not sure you can create a Lv 6 Assassin. Unless you're not playing 3.5, the Assassin needs at least 5 levels in Rogue or a class that has access to Hide/Move Silently. You'd probably have a Rogue 5/Assassin 1 in that case.

Second, what are these NPCs for? Are they RP characters who your characters report to, or do they accompany the party? It might be better to just use the Elite Array so that they're slightly weaker than the PCs. That's 15 14 13 12 10 8.

The Wizard's abilities chould be: STR 8 DEX 12 CON 14 INT 15(+2 from ability score increases) WIS 13 CHA 10.

Paladin: STR 14 DEX 8 CON 13 INT 10 WIS 12 CHA 15(+1)

Rogue/Assassin: STR 13 DEX 15(+1) CON 12 INT 14 WIS 10 CHA 8

I'm rather iffy on the idea of an NPC paladin. Typically one would not want a party leader to be an NPC.

AKA_Bait
2007-09-13, 08:31 AM
Well, I have been asked to DM a group recently. This group is made up of fairly new players (1 Year of play).
However, looking over their characters, they seemed to have screwed up in character creation.

I'm confused. How did they screw up in character creation? How does one screw up in character creation? Do you just mean that their builds are suboptimal?

Due to this, I plan to restart the campaign and begin my own. However, while I plan to have them create new characters, I plan to kill off their current characters. Because this is the case, I need some help creating NPC.

Um. Why are you planning on killing their current characters? Is this something that you have discussed with them when you agreed to DM? IF not, your players may be less than thrilled with you.

I need a lvl 9 wizard (planning to have him as a blaster. I would like to have him use Force Cage/ Cloudkill combo but I would have to raise his lvl (I can raise it to a maximum of 10)

I also need a lvl 6 Paladin and a lvl 6 assasin

Say a 38 point stat buy. Gold by lvl for giving them items.

Any help will be appreciated.

Here, use this. (http://www.pathguy.com/cg35.htm) It will let you do everything you want except the items and spell selection and takes just a few moments. As I understand it, these are to be bad guys to ice your party. For the record, I still caution against that. If you need to restart the campagin, just tell them, hey everyone, I don't really think I can work with what's here. Can we please start a new one with fresh characters?

Lord Tataraus
2007-09-13, 10:26 AM
If you plan to start over or run a new game and sracp the current one, you don't need to TPK. I have run a number of games that we have scrapped because of lack of time, just wasn't working, etc. Not once did I TPK to end it. We just agreed to scrap it and start a new campaign, completely ignoring the old one. A TPK to start a new campaign will probably make the players very angry at you and it will look like they had no chance because you did not like the way the campaign was going. Even if that is true or not, you don't want your players against. And to reiterate what was asked before, how did they screw up their characters?

Chaos Bringer
2007-09-13, 12:15 PM
I've had a campaign where the DM just wasnt in it with the characters we made. He did pretty much the same thing and put us in an impossible situation so we just died. It was very uncool, and i wouldve prefered being told he just didnt want to work with what we gave him rather than wasting a couple sessions leading towards an inevitable death.

crimson77
2007-09-13, 12:16 PM
If you plan to start over or run a new game and sracp the current one, you don't need to TPK. I have run a number of games that we have scrapped because of lack of time, just wasn't working, etc. Not once did I TPK to end it. We just agreed to scrap it and start a new campaign, completely ignoring the old one. A TPK to start a new campaign will probably make the players very angry at you and it will look like they had no chance because you did not like the way the campaign was going. Even if that is true or not, you don't want your players against. And to reiterate what was asked before, how did they screw up their characters?

I agree. It is much easier and takes less time to scrap the current campaign and start over. If players ask why, then tell them new DM, new campaign. If you have DMed a session or two, just say that you do not like where this campaign was heading and needed a clean slate.

Dr. Weasel
2007-09-13, 12:38 PM
I would like to have him use Force Cage/ Cloudkill combo
This is troubling. If you do want to end the campaign, give them a shot of finishing at some sort of highpoint and have it mean something to them. Give the characters some sort of conclusion. Having an arbitrary wizard inta-killing the party falls into the "not cool" category. If you do this, don't expect many volunteers for your next campaign.

they seemed to have screwed up in character creation. Due to this, I plan to restart the campaign and begin my own.
If this is the only reason you feel the need to off them, just say that since you're running you want them to tweak the problem areas of character creation. They probably won't be happy, but they'll be a hell of a lot angrier if you do what you're planning.

Crow
2007-09-13, 01:29 PM
This guy is already on the path to being a terrible DM.

Please explain what you mean by screwing up character creation.

Why oh why have you decided to kill them all off? Do they know this?

PlatinumJester
2007-09-13, 01:32 PM
http://www.aarg.net/~minam/npc.cgi

It generates NPCs though you probably figured that out.

Iku Rex
2007-09-13, 02:36 PM
Kojiro Kakita, which books do you have access to?

DraPrime
2007-09-13, 02:41 PM
May I refer you to this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54655) thread?

tainsouvra
2007-09-13, 02:54 PM
This group is made up of fairly new players (1 Year of play). However, looking over their characters, they seemed to have screwed up in character creation. Due to this, I plan to restart the campaign and begin my own. However, while I plan to have them create new characters, I plan to kill off their current characters. For the record, I consider this a terrible idea that is very likely to offend your players. I would strongly recommend taking another approach.

What was wrong with their characters, and why do you think killing them is the answer?

Kojiro Kakita
2007-09-13, 08:03 PM
I have permission to kill off their characters. They want to see what see how evil I can be.....

Anyway, by screwing up character creation, basically most of them are elves or dwarves. And somehow they started off with an Dex bonus and Strength bonus of +8. Still trying to figure that out.