PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Running Battle Century G

Protato
2018-08-14, 11:52 PM
I'm wanting to step away from DnD 5e after running Lost Mines, at least for a bit, and try running something new. Since I'm a fan of mecha, I thought why not try Battle Century G (http://gimmicklabs.blogspot.com/)/Z? It looks fairly rules light although I'm having some issues parsing the text precisely and I don't have the game itself, just its free SRD. Has anyone here tried running it or at least looked at the rules? The game will be played on Roll20.

The premise so far is that it's set in the Gundam Universal Century but with details changed a bit here and there to suit what I don't know about canon and give players less chance to metagame with knowledge of the franchise. For those that aren't aware of it, basically: There are colonies in space and still people on Earth. Earth's government is one-world now, with the Earth Federation representing the world at large. In space, some colonies still support the Earth government and some are neutal but others support a new fascist nation called the Principality of Zeon that claims to represent the space colonies. They feel like the people in space should be completely independent from Earth and people on Earth hold humanity back. Zeon takes an abandoned space colony and destroys Australia by using it as an orbital drop weapon and develops humanoid fighting robots called Mobile Suits, because the suits are apparently better at maintaining thrust in space. The Federation makes a new prototype Mobile Suit called the Gundam, and eventually beats Zeon in the war. Zeon sympathizers and remnants are still around though. Lastly, out in space some people have developed limited precognitive abilities and they're called Newtypes, which is part of why Zeon thinks Earth is obsolete and its people should die. That's the Cliffnotes anyhow. The setup for the party is that they play as a mercenary force employed under the table by the Federation to deal with space piracy and Zeon remnants after a war between Zeon and Federation.

Does anyone have any advice for running games like this, or about learning new systems/teaching players new systems? I've GM'd 5e for long enough to not be awful at it, in my own estimation, but I'm still a little bit worried as its the first time I've switched systems and settings so dramatically.