PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Level 1 Witch hex options

Azernak0
2018-08-15, 01:46 PM
Will be joining a game soon and figured since it was a jungle based setting, a full blown witch doctor ala Screamin' Jay Hawkins was in order.

Currently am taking Cauldron (what voodoo doctor would he be without that?) and am torn between the other choices. Cackle and Cauldron are fairly obvious but I am unsure which ones I should take first. Evil Eye vs. Misfortune vs. Slumber vs. Fortune. Any thoughts on which should be taken first?

Level 1: Cackle, Cauldron, ?
Level 2: Slumber
Level 4: Misfortune
Level 6: Flight

Could take another Extra Hex at level 3 but was probably going to take Craft Wondrous because "yes, take it."

Psyren
2018-08-15, 02:57 PM
Cackle does nothing until you have something to extend it with, so I'd push it later.

Either Slumber or Evil Eye should be first imo. The first is much stronger, but (a) is less useful if you're initially up against mind-affecting immune enemies like undead, vermin or constructs, and (b) if you're not, its binary nature can have the opposite effect of being too strong, souring your GM or group on Witches in general.

Azernak0
2018-08-15, 03:36 PM
Just wondering if Evil Eye, Fortune, or Misfortune would be better at level 1. If I am not grabbing those, then I will just kick Cackle down the road a bit.

Psyren
2018-08-15, 03:59 PM
Just wondering if Evil Eye, Fortune, or Misfortune would be better at level 1. If I am not grabbing those, then I will just kick Cackle down the road a bit.

Sorry, I didn't submit my edit so you missed it - see above.

Recherché
2018-08-15, 04:16 PM
I've personally never found Cauldron that useful, usually I'm so cash strapped at low levels I can't use it and by the time I can use it, I've got Craft Wondrous to spend my time and gp on. Slumber is a lot of witch build's bread and butter; almost a martial character's equivalent to "I attack it with my sword." Fortune generally works better with Cackle as does Misfortune to a lesser degree. Evil eye is a nice set up for a lot of other debuff spells or Slumber, but it's usefulness depends on you having something else to follow up with.

Kurald Galain
2018-08-16, 02:57 AM
Either Slumber or Evil Eye should be first imo. The first is much stronger, but (a) is less useful if you're initially up against mind-affecting immune enemies like undead, vermin or constructs
Both of the hexes you mention are mind-affecting. This is why Misfortune is a good first pick, since it is not mind-affecting.

I'd go with Fortune and Misfortune, and pick up Cackle next. One round is usually enough to make an impact, at low levels.

Psyren
2018-08-16, 02:28 PM
Both of the hexes you mention are mind-affecting. This is why Misfortune is a good first pick, since it is not mind-affecting.

Whoops :smallbiggrin: I did mix that up.

I'd go with Fortune and Misfortune, and pick up Cackle next. One round is usually enough to make an impact, at low levels.

Fortune is effectively 1/day whereas Misfortune is 1/encounter, so I would actually delay Fortune until you have some disposable targets (summons) to drop it on. It's great if you expect a boss fight that day but at level 1 that should be rare.