PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Tarot Mage (Base Class)

Zarion
2018-08-15, 03:21 PM
I was reviewing some old 3.5 3rd party material and found a class that I really like and decided to try and convert it to 5e. I've never created a 5e class before so I would be grateful for any advice on its balance level or suggestions for changes.

Here is the original class, it's copied almost perfectly from the original book.
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Tarot_Mage_(3.5e_Class)

Here is a pdf of the original book itself.
http://www.magicgatebg.com/Books/Encyclopaedia%20Arcane%20-%20Tarot%20Magic.pdf

TAROT MAGE

As a tarot mage, you gain the following Class Features.

Hit Points

Hit Dice: 1d6 per tarot mage level
Hit Points at 1st Level: 6 + your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d6 (or 4) + your Constitution modifier per tarot mage level after 1st

Starting Proficiencies

You are proficient with the following items, in addition to any proficiencies provided by your race or background.

Armor: none
Weapons: daggers, darts, slings, quarterstaffs, light crossbows
Tools: tarot cards
Saving Throws: Intelligence, Wisdom
Skills: Choose two from Arcana, History, Insight, Investigation, Medicine, and Religion

Starting Equipment

You start with the following items, plus anything provided by your background.

• (a) a Quarterstaff or (b) a Dagger
• (a) a Scholar's Pack or (b) an Explorer's Pack
• a Tarot Deck

Level
Proficiency Bonus
Features
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th
7th
8th
9th

1st
+2
Spellcasting
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

2nd
+2
Tarot Draw
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

3rd
+2
Create Minor Arcana
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

4th
+2
Ability Score Improvement
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

5th
+3

-
-
-
-
-
-

6th
+3
Tarot Draw Feature
-
-
-
-
-
-

7th
+3

-
-
-
-
-

8th
+3
-
-
-
-
-

9th
+4
Create Major Arcana
-
-
-
-

10th
+4
Tarot Draw Feature
-
-
-
-

11th
+4

-
-
-

12th
+4
-
-
-

13th
+5

-
-

14th
+5
Tarot Draw Feature
-
-

15th
+5

-

16th
+5
-

17th
+6

18th
+6
Tarot Draw Feature

19th
+6

20th
+6
Three Card Spread

Spellcasting

Tarot Deck

At 1st level, you have a Tarot Deck containing six Minor Arcana and three Major Arcana (except for XXI - The World) of your choice. Each time you gain a tarot mage level, you can add two Minor Arcana of your choice to your Tarot Deck for free. Each of these Minor Arcana must allow the casting of a spell for which you have Spell Slots.

Casting Spells

The tarot mage table shows how many spell slots you have to cast your spells of 1st level and higher. To cast one of these spells, you must expend a slot of the spell's level or higher. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a long rest.

Just as a wizard must have his spellbook in order to prepare spells, the tarot mage must have his tarot cards, both Minor Arcana and Major Arcana, through which to focus arcane power. The Tarot Mage does not need to specify individual spells per day: As long as a tarot mage has a certain tarot card and he is of the requisite level, the mage can cast any spell associated with the card from the Tarot Mage spell list.

Spell Mimic

In addition, a tarot mage may cast spells from the wizard spell list using the appropriate combination of Minor Arcana. These spells utilize the same spell slots as the normal Tarot Mage spells. Each suit of the Minor Arcana corresponds to two of the arcane schools. Except for cantrips, spells need two cards to be cast; the first corresponds to the level of the arcane school and the second corresponds to the particular effect. Both cards must be revealed when the spell is cast, and are returned to your deck when the spell is finished.

For example, in order to cast magic missile, the tarot mage must have the Two of Swords and the Page of Swords as well as a spell slot of 1st level or higher available. The Two of Swords allows the mage to cast a first level Evocation spell and the Page of Swords defines the evocation as magic missile.

Number
Spell Level

Ace
Cantrip

Two
1st

Three
2nd

Four
3rd

Five
4th

Six
5th

Seven
6th

Eight
7th

Nine
8th

Ten
9th

Suit
Arcane School

Pentacles
Conjuration and Transmutation

Cups
Enchantment and Illusion

Swords
Evocation and Necromancy

Wands
Abjuration and Divination

Spellcasting Ability

Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for your tarot mage spells, since you learn your spells through dedicated study. You use your Intelligence whenever a spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition, you use your Intelligence modifier when setting the saving throw DC for a tarot mage spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one.

Spell save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier
Spell Attack modifier = your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier

Spellcasting Focus

You can use your tarot deck as a spellcasting focus for your tarot mage spells.

Tarot Draw

When you reach 2nd level you begin drawing from your Tarot Deck, you draw a card at random from all Major Arcana, each card grants features, you can choose to draw a card upon a short rest, and always draw a card upon a long rest. When a new card is drawn, its features replace the previous cards features. You gain additional features at 2nd level and again at 6th, 10th, 14th, and 18th level.

Number
Name
Ability Score
Meta
Suit

The Fool
None
None
None

I
The Magician
Intelligence
Extend
Pentacles

II
The High Priestess
Wisdom
Extend
Cups

III
The Empress
Constitution
Extend
Swords

IV
The Emperor
Charisma
Extend
Wands

V
The Hierophant
Dexterity
Distant
Pentacles

VI
The Lovers
Charisma
Distant
Cups

VII
The Chariot
Dexterity
Distant
Swords

VIII
Strength
Strength
Distant
Wands

IX
The Hermit
Wisdom
Quickened
Pentacles

X
Wheel of Fortune
Intelligence
Quickened
Cups

XI
Justice
Wisdom
Quickened
Swords

XII
The Hanged Man
Dexterity
Quickened
Wands

XIII
Death
Intelligence
Heightened
Pentacles

XIV
Temperance
Intelligence
Heightened
Cups

XV
The Devil
Intelligence
Heightened
Swords

XVI
The Tower
Strength
Heightened
Wands

XVII
The Star
Constitution
Twinned
Pentacles

XVIII
The Moon
Dexterity
Twinned
Cups

XIX
The Sun
Constitution
Twinned
Swords

XX
Judgement
Constitution
Twinned
Wands

XXI
The World
All
All
All

Ability Score Enhancement

Beginning at 2nd level, when you draw a card you gain your proficiency bonus to the specified ability score. As normal, you can’t increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.

Extra Spells

Starting at 6th level, you can use an additional number of spell slots within the specified suit equal to your Intelligence modifier. These can be used on spells up to a maximum level equal to your Intelligence modifier, capped at 5. You regain all additional spells when you finish a short rest.

Suit Metamagic

Beginning at 10th level, you can apply the specified metamagic effect to any spell within the specified suit. You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Intelligence modifier. You regain all expended uses when you finish a short rest.

Deck Metamagic

Starting at 14th level, you can apply the specified metamagic effect to any spell. You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Intelligence modifier. You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Extreme Ability Score

Beginning at 18th level, your maximum for the specified ability score is increased to 24, and the card can increase the specified ability score past 20.

When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th, and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two Ability Scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can’t increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.

Create Minor Arcana

At 3rd level, the tarot mage gains the ability to create additional Minor Arcana. Each Minor Arcana requires 50 gp of inks and material to craft, and takes at least 8 hours to complete.

Create Major Arcana

At 9th level, the tarot mage gains the ability to create additional Major Arcana. Each Major Arcana requires 100 gp of inks and material to craft, and takes at least 16 hours to complete. Except for XXI – The World, which requires 200 gp of inks and material to craft, and takes at least 32 hours to complete.

Three Card Spread

At 20th level, when you draw a card for your Tarot Draw, you instead draw three cards and select the desired card from those.

SirBellias
2018-08-15, 05:44 PM
I love the idea, really want to see this workable, and like the ideas you're taking with it. Not that I know much about class balance, but there are a few holes that seem off to me.

TAROT MAGE

As a tarot mage, you gain the following Class Features.

Hit Points

Hit Dice: 1d6 per tarot mage level
Hit Points at 1st Level: 6 + your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d6 (or 4) + your Constitution modifier per tarot mage level after 1st

Starting Proficiencies

You are proficient with the following items, in addition to any proficiencies provided by your race or background.

Armor: none
Weapons: daggers, darts, slings, quarterstaffs, light crossbows
Tools: none
Skills: Choose two from Arcana, History, Insight, Investigation, Medicine, and Religion

Starting Equipment

You start with the following items, plus anything provided by your background.

• (a) a Quarterstaff or (b) a Dagger
• (a) a Component Pouch or (b) an Arcane Focus
• (a) a Scholar's Pack or (b) an Explorer's Pack
• A Tarot Deck

This looks fine, and vaguely wizardy. Later on it does specify that you can use an arcane focus for you spells, but not a component pouch which seemed odd to me.

Spellcasting

Tarot Deck

At 1st level, you have a Tarot Deck containing six Minor Arcana and three Major Arcana (except for XXI - The World) of your choice. Each time you gain a tarot mage level, you can add two Minor Arcana of your choice to your Tarot Deck for free. Each of these Minor Arcana must allow the casting of a spell for which you have Spell Slots.

Casting Spells

The tarot mage table shows how many spell slots you have to cast your spells of 1st level and higher. To cast one of these spells, you must expend a slot of the spell's level or higher. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a long rest.

Just as a wizard must have his spellbook in order to prepare spells, the tarot mage must have his tarot cards, both Minor Arcana and Major Arcana, through which to focus arcane power. The Tarot Mage does not need to specify individual spells per day: As long as a tarot mage has a certain tarot card and he is of the requisite level, the mage can cast any spell associated with the card from the Tarot Mage spell list.

In addition, a tarot mage may cast spells from the wizard spell list using the appropriate combination of Minor Arcana. Each suit of the Minor Arcana corresponds to two of the arcane schools. Except for cantrips, spells need two cards to be cast; the first corresponds to the level of the arcane school and the second corresponds to the particular effect.

For example, in order to cast magic missile, the tarot mage must have the Two of Swords and the Page of Swords. The Two of Swords allows the mage to cast a first level Evocation spell and the Page of Swords defines the evocation as magic missile.

Pentacles: Conjuration and Transmutation
Cups: Enchantment and Illusion
Swords: Evocation and Necromancy
Wands: Abjuration and Divination

This is interesting. I like it a lot, but it seems like any and all restrictions on your casting abilities get removed at 3rd level when you start grinding out minor arcana. Casting spontaneously from such a large list is probably bad. If they could only use a certain number of cards at once, or something, or even draw them randomly at the beginning of the day and arrange them into spell slots. Which has its own issues, but giving access to the entire list spontaneously would be bad if your player happens across a standard hoard.

Spellcasting Ability

Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for your tarot mage spells, since you learn your spells through dedicated study. You use your Intelligence whenever a spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition, you use your Intelligence modifier when setting the saving throw DC for a tarot mage spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one.

Spell save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier
Spell Attack modifier = your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier

Spellcasting Focus

You can use an arcane focus as a spellcasting focus for your tarot mage spells.

Once again, the focus one is a bit weird, and also why Intelligence? As far as I can tell Tarot reading is all about seeing ways to creatively interpret and read the divination, which I'd think would be charisma. We need more intelligence casters, don't get me wrong, it just doesn't seem right for this one.

Tarot Draw

When you reach 2nd level you begin drawing from your Tarot Deck, you draw a card from the Major Arcana, each card grants features, you can choose to draw a card upon a short rest, and always draw a card upon a long rest. You gain additional features at 2nd level and again at 6th, 10th, and 14th level.

Number
Name
Ability Score
Meta
Suit

The Fool
None
None
None

I
The Magician
Intelligence
Extend
Pentacles

II
The High Priestess
Wisdom
Extend
Cups

III
The Empress
Constitution
Extend
Swords

IV
The Emperor
Charisma
Extend
Wands

V
The Hierophant
Dexterity
Distant
Pentacles

VI
The Lovers
Charisma
Distant
Cups

VII
The Chariot
Dexterity
Distant
Swords

VIII
Strength
Strength
Distant
Wands

IX
The Hermit
Wisdom
Quickened
Pentacles

X
Wheel of Fortune
Intelligence
Quickened
Cups

XI
Justice
Wisdom
Quickened
Swords

XII
The Hanged Man
Dexterity
Quickened
Wands

XIII
Death
Intelligence
Heightened
Pentacles

XIV
Temperance
Intelligence
Heightened
Cups

XV
The Devil
Intelligence
Heightened
Swords

XVI
The Tower
Strength
Heightened
Wands

XVII
The Star
Constitution
Twinned
Pentacles

XVIII
The Moon
Dexterity
Twinned
Cups

XIX
The Sun
Constitution
Twinned
Swords

XX
Judgement
Constitution
Twinned
Wands

XXI
The World
All
All
All

Ability Score Enhancement

Beginning at 2nd level, when you draw a card you gain your proficiency bonus to the specified ability score.

Extra Spells

Starting at 6th level, you can use an additional number of spells within the specified suit equal to your Intelligence modifier. You regain all additional spells when you finish a short rest.

Suit Metamagic

Beginning at 10th level, you can apply the specified metamagic effect to any spell within the specified suit. You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Intelligence modifier. You regain all expended uses when you finish a short rest.

Deck Metamagic

Starting at 14th level, you can apply the specified metamagic effect to any spell. You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Intelligence modifier. You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

First, I'm assuming that the Major Arcana effects end when you draw a new card? That would make the most sense, but it's not stated anywhere. Also, the powergamer in me is wondering why you would get more than just The World and the initial ones you have. That would increase the chances of having everything, and be counter-intuitive to the idea that having more cards is good.

Ability score enhancement is goofy and potentially abusable for dipping, but I wouldn't worry about that much, if only because it's super cool and may lead to unorthodox strategies when you get a more off the wall option. Not that you will without an incentive to make the odd ones.... What if they were all available in the beginning, but you had a certain number of draws that you could pick from that rose as you gained levels? That way they all become usable by one character, and you still have some control over your selection for the day.

Also for the Extra Spells listing, what level are those spells? Up to your highest level slot? Are you giving slots or extra spells "known"?

Create Minor Arcana

At 3rd level, the tarot mage gains the ability to create additional Minor Arcana. Each Minor Arcana requires 25 gp of inks and material to craft, and takes at least 8 hours to complete.

Create Major Arcana

At 9th level, the tarot mage gains the ability to create additional Major Arcana. Each Major Arcana requires 50 gp of inks and material to craft, and takes at least 16 hours to complete. Except for XXI – The World, which requires 100 gp of inks and material to craft, and takes at least 32 hours to complete.

Alright, the time constraints are annoying, but the only limiting factor here. 25 gold is very easily done even in the grittier games I've played in. The World should cost more, truly, and should probably be unlocked as a capstone, or at least near the higher end of the spectrum.

I really like the idea, and would love to see this progress. The execution is a bit off, and prone to shenanigans, is all.

Zarion
2018-08-15, 09:50 PM
This is interesting. I like it a lot, but it seems like any and all restrictions on your casting abilities get removed at 3rd level when you start grinding out minor arcana. Casting spontaneously from such a large list is probably bad. If they could only use a certain number of cards at once, or something, or even draw them randomly at the beginning of the day and arrange them into spell slots. Which has its own issues, but giving access to the entire list spontaneously would be bad if your player happens across a standard hoard.

I based this off of how the original class was designed, although I am open to changes for balance purposes.

Once again, the focus one is a bit weird, and also why Intelligence? As far as I can tell Tarot reading is all about seeing ways to creatively interpret and read the divination, which I'd think would be charisma. We need more intelligence casters, don't get me wrong, it just doesn't seem right for this one.

I got the focus part by copying directly from the Wizard information, as for it being an Intelligence caster, its because the original was, and because the lore is that they use extensive study to tap into the mystical forces behind the tarot.

First, I'm assuming that the Major Arcana effects end when you draw a new card? That would make the most sense, but it's not stated anywhere. Also, the powergamer in me is wondering why you would get more than just The World and the initial ones you have. That would increase the chances of having everything, and be counter-intuitive to the idea that having more cards is good.

Ability score enhancement is goofy and potentially abusable for dipping, but I wouldn't worry about that much, if only because it's super cool and may lead to unorthodox strategies when you get a more off the wall option. Not that you will without an incentive to make the odd ones.... What if they were all available in the beginning, but you had a certain number of draws that you could pick from that rose as you gained levels? That way they all become usable by one character, and you still have some control over your selection for the day.

Also for the Extra Spells listing, what level are those spells? Up to your highest level slot? Are you giving slots or extra spells "known"?

The effects are reset upon redrawing, if that not clear I can add more. The card isn't drawn from your owned Major Arcana, but from all Major Arcana, I considered having it be your cards but realized the same thing you did. For the extra spells, I was thinking of having it be extra spell slots, since the class doesn't have spells known, I wan't sure about any level restrictions on the spells but I can add some if it would help.

Alright, the time constraints are annoying, but the only limiting factor here. 25 gold is very easily done even in the grittier games I've played in. The World should cost more, truly, and should probably be unlocked as a capstone, or at least near the higher end of the spectrum.

I don't know a ton about 5e so I want sure about the amount of money available, so when adapting this class I changed the rate new cards are gained, as well as changing the price. If you have a good source on wealth by level or any advice on pricing I would be grateful. The time is also just a straight adaption from the original, I don't know a lot about 5e time off.

MoleMage
2018-08-15, 11:24 PM
The 5e PHB has costs for adding wizard spells but your costs seem to approximately line up to them. A couple of 5e-specific design notes:

Classes always have at least two subclasses chosen between levels 1 and 3 (inclusive). These give small packages of features (usually 4 or 5 features) spread out over the class that refine your class.

No class has an empty level in 5e (yet). Some levels may just improve an old ability, but they all do something. For the purposes of this a new spell level counts as something, but typically new spells known or extra spell slots for existing levels do not. You are missing features at 18 and 20.

Does the 2nd level card to ability feature allow you to exceed normal caps for ability score? As written it is unspecified and would default to doing so but most wording references the upper limit of 20 for an ability score.

EDIT: as someone who had not read the original class before, the wording on some abilities could use more detail. For example, you give the example of the Two of Swords and the Page of Swords casting Magic Missile as a first level spell, but you haven't transferred that information into 5e. Do I use up cards when casting spells or just spell slots? Break it down for me (me being a generic 5e player): (1) what action do I take. (2) What resource or resources do I expend. (3) What is the outcome of my expense. "As an action (1), you reveal two cards of the same suit from your minor arcana. One card must have a rank between X and Y, and the other must correspond to a spell on Z table. Expend a spell slot of level N (2) based on the ranked card to case the spell specified by Z at that level (3). Once you have done so, you can/cannot use those two cards again for this action (2)."

Don't be afraid to split the wizard spell mimicking through tarot into a separate feature even if it wasn't before. It doesn't use standard spellcasting rules and it will be easier to spot and read as a feature of its own.

Zarion
2018-08-16, 12:09 PM
The 5e PHB has costs for adding wizard spells but your costs seem to approximately line up to them. A couple of 5e-specific design notes:

So my current prices for minor and major arcana are fine?

Classes always have at least two subclasses chosen between levels 1 and 3 (inclusive). These give small packages of features (usually 4 or 5 features) spread out over the class that refine your class.

The tarot draw feature is supposed to fill this role, I couldn't think of specific subclasses beyond the major arcana or the suits, and the suits would have just ended up being variations on the wizard schools probably. I thought the draw feature was more unique.

No class has an empty level in 5e (yet). Some levels may just improve an old ability, but they all do something. For the purposes of this a new spell level counts as something, but typically new spells known or extra spell slots for existing levels do not. You are missing features at 18 and 20.

Ill try and come up with an additional tarot draw feature for 18, for 20 what do you think of an ability to draw multiple cards and select one of them?

Does the 2nd level card to ability feature allow you to exceed normal caps for ability score? As written it is unspecified and would default to doing so but most wording references the upper limit of 20 for an ability score.

I'll probably add an upper limit reference if you think that would be best.

EDIT: as someone who had not read the original class before, the wording on some abilities could use more detail. For example, you give the example of the Two of Swords and the Page of Swords casting Magic Missile as a first level spell, but you haven't transferred that information into 5e. Do I use up cards when casting spells or just spell slots? Break it down for me (me being a generic 5e player): (1) what action do I take. (2) What resource or resources do I expend. (3) What is the outcome of my expense. "As an action (1), you reveal two cards of the same suit from your minor arcana. One card must have a rank between X and Y, and the other must correspond to a spell on Z table. Expend a spell slot of level N (2) based on the ranked card to case the spell specified by Z at that level (3). Once you have done so, you can/cannot use those two cards again for this action (2)."

Don't be afraid to split the wizard spell mimicking through tarot into a separate feature even if it wasn't before. It doesn't use standard spellcasting rules and it will be easier to spot and read as a feature of its own.

I'll add more detail explaining the method, although I might borrow from what you said as well as how its written for the wizard.

SirBellias
2018-08-19, 10:54 AM
The effects are reset upon redrawing, if that not clear I can add more. The card isn't drawn from your owned Major Arcana, but from all Major Arcana, I considered having it be your cards but realized the same thing you did. For the extra spells, I was thinking of having it be extra spell slots, since the class doesn't have spells known, I wan't sure about any level restrictions on the spells but I can add some if it would help.

Extra spell slots make sense, maybe starting at level one and increasing for every additional slot gained? If it was your maximum slot level, then it's a better version of the Warlock casting. This way there's some limit to short-rest spell gain, and it caps at 5 which is reasonable.

Also, if it is drawn from all of them, what would be the point of owning more cards?

Zarion
2018-08-19, 06:34 PM
Extra spell slots make sense, maybe starting at level one and increasing for every additional slot gained? If it was your maximum slot level, then it's a better version of the Warlock casting. This way there's some limit to short-rest spell gain, and it caps at 5 which is reasonable.

Also, if it is drawn from all of them, what would be the point of owning more cards?

Major Arcana give access to unique tarot mags spells, can you expound on what you said about the spell slots, do you mean have one extra at each level, or the max level is based on the number?

FlameUser64
2018-08-19, 09:04 PM
The Spell Mimic casting feature is under-detailed. How do you know that you need the Page of Swords specifically in order to cast Magic Missile? There does not appear to be a table that defines such at all. Do the Minor Arcana just define what spells you can cast in a somewhat overly complex manner, or is there more to Spell Mimic than that? Can you use those same cards to cast again right away, or do you need to wait for a short rest or long rest before you can use those cards again?

Secondly, what spells do you get for your owned Major Arcana? There is no table here that specifies which spells are associated with each Major Arcana.

(As an aside, drawing Major Arcana at random is pretty different from the original class's mechanics, which more directly encouraged collecting a variety of Arcana by allowing you to manually tap any Major Arcana you possess.)

Zarion
2018-08-19, 09:43 PM
The Spell Mimic casting feature is under-detailed. How do you know that you need the Page of Swords specifically in order to cast Magic Missile? There does not appear to be a table that defines such at all. Do the Minor Arcana just define what spells you can cast in a somewhat overly complex manner, or is there more to Spell Mimic than that? Can you use those same cards to cast again right away, or do you need to wait for a short rest or long rest before you can use those cards again?

Secondly, what spells do you get for your owned Major Arcana? There is no table here that specifies which spells are associated with each Major Arcana.

(As an aside, drawing Major Arcana at random is pretty different from the original class's mechanics, which more directly encouraged collecting a variety of Arcana by allowing you to manually tap any Major Arcana you possess.)

I need to add tables for spell mimic, and transfer over the tarot mage specific spells.