PDA

View Full Version : Tips for running a shorter, monthly game

Velaryon
2018-08-15, 03:23 PM
Hi all.

I've recently started a D&D club at my library, and so far it's going well. However, because I have to share a single program room and have to keep up on my other duties, I can only have one session per month, for 2 hours at a time. I've been a gamer for 17 years and a DM for 16, but my groups tend to play 6+ hours at a time, so I've had some difficulty adjusting to these constraints. Furthermore, my target audience is teenagers, most of whom have relatively little experience with D&D prior to playing with me.

We are playing 5e, and have been running Lost Mine of Phandelver to begin with. We just concluded our third session, and they have just reached Phandalin and begun exploring the town. Next session will probably involve them encountering Redbrand thugs in town, and then they will head for the manor where the Redbrands are holed up. I would consider it a miracle if they clear that manor during the next session, the way things have been going.

Those who have more experience gaming in short sessions, can you share some tips for getting everyone focused quickly, and staying on task long enough to actually get something done? Any ideas are much appreciated.

Rhedyn
2018-08-16, 12:32 PM
The shortest I tolerate is 3 hours every week and I use a quicker system than 5e.

Find away to houserule inconsequential combats into a single dice roll and some narration.

Try converting something like this: https://www.peginc.com/store/savage-worlds-quick-combat-rules/

A quick attempt by me:
Roll your attack roll, spell attack roll, or a skill roll relevant to the combat
DC: Effect
5: Take 75% of max HP as damage and lose 1/2th level of resources (Ki points, spell slot levels, ect)
10: Take 50% of max HP as damage and lose 1/4th level of resources (Ki points, spell slot levels, ect)
15: Take 25% of max HP as damage
20: Take no damage, gain inspiration, and narrate your wild success

Apply advantage or disadvantage depending on how they describe their approach to the combat and the situation the party is in.

dino_park
2018-08-17, 07:12 AM
Thanks for the update, but i don't have sny suggestion :P