PDA

View Full Version : Leveled spells in the style of GFB/BB

PeteNutButter
2018-08-15, 05:32 PM
So the blades booming and green flamed are some of the coolest cantrips for their combination of caster stuff and attacking.

We have smite spells and similar ranger spells that are leveled which are interesting in that they take a bonus action but work well with extra attack. Their big drawback is that they are all concentration... ew. I think there is design space for leveled spells that are also weapon attacks. Since they aren’t unlimited like cantrips, they would be best suited to augment the existing ones while not overshadowing them.

Some ideas that I haven’t fleshed out:
-A cone attack that originates from a target you strike, maybe force damage like a blast wave
-A cleric spell to act as a poor man’s smite that does moderate radiant damage but increases die size against undead
-An acid or poison attack with a good damage over time effect
-A super anime-style punch
-Various CC rider attacks that aren’t already existing in paladin (notably more arcane feeling CC)

A simple way to balance the damage on these is to take another direct damage spell from the class list and of the same level and reduce the damage by roughly two dice to account for weapon damage.

What do you guys think? What ideas do you have?

Griswold
2018-08-15, 10:12 PM
I think Steel Wind Strike really needs to be melee weapon attacks and not spell attacks against its targets.

Telekinetic Boomerang was an excellent psionics power from 3.5 which would make a chosen thrown weapon instantly return to your hand (allowing it to be thrown multiple times per round). Given the lack of support for thrown weapons in 5E, that would be great. I don't think it would need to be a concentration spell.

Some sort of spell which lets you make a ranged or thrown attack pierce and hit multiple enemies along a line. Make it do weapon damage plus some amount of bonus damage, probably 1d8 per level.

A ricochet spell which lets you throw a weapon (or use a sling, rock) and make attacks on multiple enemies which are all within 10' of the last target, and stops when you miss an attack.

A precision "attack the weak spot for massive damage" spell which gives you advantage and automatically is a critical hit, with some amount of scaling damage.