PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Flurry of blows questions

holywhippet
2018-08-15, 06:23 PM
a) The rule say you can only use it immediately after taking the attack action. How does this work with extra attack? You can only use it after making all of your melee attacks or only after the first one?

b) Since it says immediately, does that mean you can't move after making your attacks before using flurry of blows?

c) Unlike the unarmed strike ability, flurry doesn't specify you have to be wielding a monk weapon. However you lose your martial arts damage if you aren't unarmed or only using monk weapons so you could attack with a greatsword and then make 2 standard unarmed attacks?

Lunali
2018-08-15, 07:15 PM
a) The rule say you can only use it immediately after taking the attack action. How does this work with extra attack? You can only use it after making all of your melee attacks or only after the first one?

b) Since it says immediately, does that mean you can't move after making your attacks before using flurry of blows?

c) Unlike the unarmed strike ability, flurry doesn't specify you have to be wielding a monk weapon. However you lose your martial arts damage if you aren't unarmed or only using monk weapons so you could attack with a greatsword and then make 2 standard unarmed attacks?

A. In theory you can use it after declaring your attack action but before making any actual attacks, but that will vary considerably among DMs that care about it, most of the time they won't and you can make your attacks in whatever order you like.

B. Only the spending of the ki point needs to be immediate, the only practical restriction on this is that you can't decide after making your usual single bonus unarmed attack.

C. You can, though why you would is a mystery. Going from a quarterstaff to a greatsword gives you +2.5 damage but will force you to use str for all your attacks, going from martial arts to normal unarmed gives you -3 per flurry before getting extra attack or at least -5 after.

Thanatos 51-50
2018-08-15, 07:39 PM
(Assuming fifth edition, because that's what your text reads like)

My only slight point of contention is timing of the Flurry of Blows. I would argue that you *have* to take the Attack action first, or you don't meet the prerequisites for triggering the Flurry. The Extra Attack action does nothing to mess with this, however. Extra Attack is just two strikes with your normal attack action (essentially, after level five, you are *always* getting your base level flurry of blows with your Martial Arts class feature, and your Flurry of blows turns into "four hits" instead of "three hits")
Most GMs I've dealt with will retroactively allow you to spend the ki point to turn a "normal" martial arts bonus attack into a Flurry of Blows after all the regular hits have been rolled., but check with yours.

And, while you could, theoretically, Flurry without being unarmoured and while wielding a greatsword, you lose the benefits of your Martial Arts class feature whilst doing so, making all your attack rolls based on STR instead of DEX and reducing your Unarmed attack damage to 1 unless you're a Tabaxi, Viashino, or other race with a natural weapon.
(Also: Spear > Quarterstaff for the monk. Search your hearts, you know it to be true)

Lunali
2018-08-15, 08:24 PM
(Also: Spear > Quarterstaff for the monk. Search your hearts, you know it to be true)

Mechanically true, but I roll 1s with my spear and 13-17 with my quarterstaff. Also, with a quarterstaff you can pass it off as a walking stick or give the impression of being a nice squishy mage.