PDA

View Full Version : Question about a Druid / Wizard necromancer that worships the Raven Queen.

Davrix
2018-08-15, 06:49 PM
So this is an update to an older post I made a few weeks back.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?163809-Davrix

We just had our first session this week and everything went great.

Long story short I did settle for taking my first 2 levels in Druid and then 8 levels into wizard. Even wrote a small backstory for the character. From that I latched onto the idea (as this was already a character of contradictions, I wanted to see if I could make a logical case for a necromancer to actually worship the Raven Queen.

The Raven Queen

You patron is the Raven Queen, a mysterious being who rules the Shadowfell from a palace of ice deep within that dread realm. The Raven Queen watches over the world, anticipating each creature’s death and ensuring that it meets its end at the proscribed time and place. As the ruler of the Shadowfell, she dwells in a decayed, dark reflection of the world. Her ability to reach into the world is limited. Thus, she turns to mortal warlocks to serve her will. Warlocks sworn to the Raven Queen receive visions and whispers from her in their dreams, sending them on quests and warning them of impending dangers.

The Raven Queen’s followers are expected to serve her will in the world. She concerns herself with ensuring that those fated to die pass from the world as expected, and bids her agents to defeat those who seek to cheat death through undeath or other imitations of immortality. She hates intelligent undead and expects her followers to strike them down, whereas mindless undead such as skeletons and zombies are little more than stumbling automatons in her eyes.

This was really the only actual information written by Wizards that i could find detailing her lore in 5e. If someone has more information for me to read up on I wouldn't mind looking it over. But even reading 4e it feels pretty similar in that she isn't against Necromancy but rather the manipulation and corruption of souls and breaking the chain of fate and becoming a Lich.

So any other backstory aside, my idea is to have the character revere life and death. He protects it and studies both aspects to further his research on helping people live better lives and making sure when their time comes that they pass peacefully onto the next life. He doesn't use animate undead unless its in his own defense or to purge a corruption of life from the world. And even then he only uses zombies and skeletons. He wont be using Ghouls or anything from Create un-dead and when he isn't using his minions he actually puts them back to rest. I sort of see his idea as a guaridan of both life and death and defends both equally.

aatttttt least this was my idea and the DM liked it to. I do have one player however that is adamant that the RQ hates all necromancers and that its impossible for this idea to work. Personally me and the Dm are ok with it and while I might have to deal with some problems down the line with paladins or clerics. Those are problems I am willing to accept and deal with.

So am I off my rocker here or does my idea seem to fit with the logic of what the RQ actually cares about?