PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find a forum-based RTS.

Dean Fellithor
2007-09-13, 07:57 AM
My freind was talking about a Forum RTS today at school and I was very interested in the Idea of it and I wished to play, this friend refused to give me the link, thinking that it was not "my thing". could you please help me out with this? Help me find the URL to this Forum so I can kick his ass, go to school and tell him it was me!

LordVader
2007-09-13, 08:03 AM
Wait, an RTS forum? You mean like a clan? :smallconfused:

Dean Fellithor
2007-09-13, 08:09 AM
Wait, an RTS forum? You mean like a clan? :smallconfused:

No, You Role Play a Country and in order to win you must specify all of your movements down to the very minor Detail.

Archonic Energy
2007-09-13, 08:17 AM
No, You Role Play a Country and in order to win you must specify all of your movements down to the very minor Detail.

surely by it's very nature that would be turn-based?

Tom_Violence
2007-09-13, 08:22 AM

The very minor Detail?

"Before embarking on the day's warring, Churchill puts the kettle on, grabs the morning papers and heads to the loo for an epic struggle of a different sort."

That kind of thing? :smalltongue:

LordVader
2007-09-13, 08:25 AM

But a Real Time Strategy is a computer game where you control units in real time, not a turn-based forum RP game. This is most definitely not an RTS.

Winterwind
2007-09-13, 08:46 AM
So basically, whoever types faster wins? As in, I move my Pawn from e2 to e4. Next post, I move it to e5. ....... to e8. Got yer King, I win!
This way?

Wow. Sounds like a creative idea, but I have never heard of such a thing before.

Warshrike
2007-09-16, 07:25 AM
I think what you're looking for is a "Text Based Strategy".
Pretty much the same as a Pen and Paper RPG- Lots of writing and recording and such, except most games like this have no actual numbers involved, apart from population count.

I know a site with a few small ones, but sadly the admins laptop is down so they're all on hold, apart from one run by the 2IC... But the guys a bashtard.

If you can find a large one, I'd be interested.

And incase you meant something a bit looser, try www.nationstates.net
I don't really roleplay here anymore, but the community is both large and active... Just fractured hells bad.

tannish2
2007-09-16, 10:48 PM
a forum based RTS sounds like an oxymoron. maybe he means turn based strategy?

Leper_Kahn
2007-09-16, 11:01 PM
Sounds like it was all talk. I can't think of a way to put a RTS on a forum. Since he didn't give you the url makes it sounds like he made it up.

Winterwind
2007-09-17, 12:45 AM
Well, I can imagine how a forum RTS based game might work - you have your units and are allowed to move them in specified ways per post, but you do not have to wait for your opponent before you post again.
So, if this was chess, you would state where you move your first pawn... but you wouldn't wait for your opponents answer, instead post your next movement instantly. Which means the person who types twice as fast would get twice as many turns as the other.

I'm not sure whether this would work out, though.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-09-17, 12:53 AM
That would make it turn-based, rather than real-time. I'm sure that's what the OP's friend meant, though.

See: the various Diplomacy games on this board, Play-by-Post and Play-by-Email chess, etc.

Winterwind
2007-09-17, 01:18 AM
Well, yes, except you would get turns as fast as you can type.

Or maybe it might work like this: You type where you send your units to, and they arrive in some amount of real time, determined by distance and unit speed. As in, you type "I send my dragoons to 14-17, they will arrive in 5 minutes and 20 seconds", and the opponent would do well to send some troops to reinforce 14-17 quickly.
Or something.
Ah, I don't know. :smallcool:

Fuzzy_Juan
2007-09-17, 01:48 AM
people would have to all agree to some sort of lmit to troops, fortifications, supply, success of operations, mediating disutes, etc.

Basically, it would be the same as trying to collectively invent an RPG that one can play on a forum. Most decide to adapt a current system with soem form of resolution system, and then come up with a limit on actions like...can't act against someone until they have had a chance to respond or so many hours/days etc. Otherwise, one just pops on at a remote time, "I kill everyone..."..."Obviously noone objects cause they are asleep and I take a dump on them too".

There would of course have to be limits applied to what people could do and how to quantify those limits for it to be a real 'game' and not just a gigantic game of makebelieve and turn into a pirates vs. ninja style debate on who wins what and how. Ever play the 'button' game? It is a game where you 'press a button'...that is all you can do...when you 'press a button' something happens...the goal is typically to kill your opponent. It is played by announcing what happens when you press a button "I press this button and it opens a pit full of spikes under you"...to which the person must respond within a short amount of time with a button that counters what happened and if they are creative enough, they are able to turn the tide.

needless to say...such games can go on indefinately, and get really strange really fast..."I press this button and you are encased in an antigravity field, float into the air helpless as a poison fills the air"..."As I float into the air, the button I was standing on is unpressed which cuts power to the antigravity field and sends a pourus iron wall down in front of me and blows the hatch behind you and starts sucking you and the poison out into space!"..."WTF?...we're not in space?..."..."Must have been a portal the button opened..."

If you want an actual game with actual rules, it might be best to try and set up a game with an existing system...O...lots of people play Diplomacy by mail/forum...other strategy games could be adapted like that. Risk and it's many forms could be made into a strategy game like Diplomacy. The players could set up the board and keep all the pieces on a board at home...everyone make whatever deals they are gonna make and then everyone gives orders for thier troops all at once to whoever is in charge and they post them publically later. Troops that fight will either win or lose based on the number of troops attacking or defending, whoever has more support wins. In the case of multiple invaders...the 'attacker' with the fewest troops can assist either side...probably say that the 'winner' takes 30% casualties and the loser can retreat 30% of their army to an adjacent location or if none is available, they lose them all.

There would be more details to work out, but such a game could be fun.

Winterwind
2007-09-17, 02:05 AM
Yes, that's what I meant. Obviously, all unit types would need a set of values determining speed, effectiveness and so on.
Maybe one would define specific strategic locations, the owner of which got more reinforcements over time, or something like that.
Yes, I can imagine that might work.

...of course, I have no idea whether that's what the OP was asking for, and anyway I am not aware of any such games.

Neftren
2007-09-22, 03:59 PM
And incase you meant something a bit looser, try www.nationstates.net

Nationstates! My nation is sitting at like... 6 billion...

as for the on topic discussion: perhaps your friend was talking about a Browser Based game? Not a Forum Based Game? Most games like Nexus War and stuff are played in real time and they do have forums...

Fuzzy_Juan
2007-09-22, 04:11 PM
ooooh...anyone remember archmage? Now that was a neat game...could never figure out the 'finer points', so i would eventually get hosed by a bigger guy as I expanded...never quite got the hang of the nitpicky warroom.

Hard to defend when they would just roll you at random...especially since you could only expand by trying to attack another...and god forbid you accidentally attack an ******* guild...next thing you know you are getting assaulted by more players than you an shake a stick at and all of them are getting uber units from an ally.

I am thinking now that people would hire/summon a bunch of units just before going offline for a while...even if it meant negative upkeep...then rely on their bloated army to win the day or absorb attacks...disbanding troops as they take their turns, and then summoning more troops again with the last of their turns. I know there must have been plenty of oher ways to jack the system a bit, but damned if I could ever figure out how some players with the same amount of land as me could host enourmous armies and all sorts of stuff when i could barely have anything...such a screwy game...

Cybren
2007-09-22, 05:16 PM
So basically, whoever types faster wins? As in, I move my Pawn from e2 to e4. Next post, I move it to e5. ....... to e8. Got yer King, I win!
This way?

Wow. Sounds like a creative idea, but I have never heard of such a thing before.

Never played Kung Fu Chess?

Winterwind
2007-09-22, 05:20 PM
Never played Kung Fu Chess?Not played it, but heard about it. Interesting, though not exactly my preference.
Yeah, that would be comparable to what I meant.
Umm, to save the integrity of that last post of mine I will state, however, that I have never heard of a similar concept for forums. :smallwink: