PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Fantasy setttings multiverse

Poiuytrewq
2018-08-15, 07:43 PM
I'm really hyped for the new Mtg ravnica book since it opens up the idea o f plane exploring for players an ideia that has not really being explored since Spelljammer.

At the end of my last campaign my players found out the kind emperor they were helping was actually an evil conquerer with planes of extradimensional conquest.

So now they will explore other planes based on famous fantasy settings trying to stop him and his army of living wood golems.

The planes we have so far are based on these settings>

-All the D&D settings.
-Pathfinder setting.
-All the Mtg planes.
-Warhammer fantasy.
-Oz.
-Wonderland.
-Song of ice and fire.
-Elder scrolls(In speciall morrowind).
-Nehwon.
-Narnia.
-The Hyborian Age.
-Neverland.
-Dragon age.
-Zelda.
-Magicka.
-Dark souls.
-Demon souls.
-Discworld.
-Earthsea.
-Lodoss.
-Eternia.
-D&D cartoon.
-Normal real Earth.
-Ivalice.
-Albion.
-Warcraft.

Any other ideas?

http://pre09.deviantart.net/f2b1/th/pre/i/2013/115/c/e/one_step_closer_to_heaven_by_frankatt-d62y723.png

EDIT:
-Breath of fire.
-Dragon quest.
-Castlevania.
-Octopath Traveler.
-Chrono cross.
-Chrono trigger.
-Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE.

Knaight
2018-08-15, 09:11 PM
I notice Middle Earth isn't on that list. Plus if you've got normal real Earth you can definitely add the various mythic-wherevers nominally set on Earth. Arthurian Britain in particular stands out.

Poiuytrewq
2018-08-15, 09:16 PM
I notice Middle Earth isn't on that list. Plus if you've got normal real Earth you can definitely add the various mythic-wherevers nominally set on Earth. Arthurian Britain in particular stands out.

Yeah I haven't add it since my players find that setting boring, weird I know but oh well.

Is Arthurian Britain really that interesting? Can help me out with some interesting scenarios? I can't help but think it will feel like an episode of magical school bus rather then a hopping around dimensions adventures.

I want them open portals(They got an artifact for that) and going from place to place after clues and key mebers of the emperor inner circle who are now trying to rest away from the war.

Perch
2018-08-15, 09:37 PM
-Mortal kombat
-Witcher.
-God of war.

Knaight
2018-08-15, 09:55 PM
Yeah I haven't add it since my players find that setting boring, weird I know but oh well.
That's a good reason not to have it. In which case, other options: Pyridian, The Cosmere Worlds.

Is Arthurian Britain really that interesting? Can help me out with some interesting scenarios? I can't help but think it will feel like an episode of magical school bus rather then a hopping around dimensions adventures.
I personally really like it, and have no shortage of backup there, but different people find different things interesting.

Given your campaign concept a lot of what would work for scenarios involves a couple of characters in particular. An imperial agent coming there redirects Mordred's plans from going against Arthur to taking over this huge empire, and like the born traitor he is his first goal is to conquer Britain with the help of imperial allies, and hand that land over in exchange for a high title.

Alternately the ogres, giants, and dragons that have settled the remote places of the land are getting pushed out by heroic knights, forced into ever more remote places or killed when they don't leave. Then an imperial agent stumbles on them, and offers escape, if they'll just join the emperor's army.

Pulling from a particularly old version of the setting - The Wild Hunt as a fantasy concept can get really cool, and some of the better implementations I've seen have been from Arthurian or Arthurian-adjacent fiction. This is potentially more in the late campaign; the emperor's armies have been scattered, but tons of ambitious little imperial warbands are running an insurgency. Rooting them out personally likely won't work, but there's rumors of a group of powerful magical beings, forever searching, forever fighting, which could do some real damage.

BreaktheStatue
2018-08-16, 12:17 AM
The Chronicles of Amber is one of my favorite fantasy series. Don't know how well it would translate to a TTRPG setting (although they made an "Amber Diceless Roleplaying Game", I've never played).

Arbane
2018-08-16, 12:57 AM
Other RPG lines?

Rifts
World of Darkness
Over the Edge
Traveller (Magic vs hard sci-fi!)
Double Cross (Try not to spread the insanity-inducing superpower-causing virus to other universes, please.)
Eclipse Phase (Magic vs. Clarke's Law level technology!)
GURPS Mad Lands (Magic vs NOTHING WORKS RIGHT HERE)
Unknown Armies (Magic vs. REALLY F-ED UP magic)
Exalted
Glorantha
Weapons of the Gods (Magic vs. Kung-fu!)
Feng Shui (Magic vs. Kung-fu and cybergorillas!)
Sentinels Comics RPG ("An evil wizard from another dimension is invading? Must be Tuesday.")
Stormbringer/Elric ("He can't make things any MORE doomed...")
Godbound
Deadlands (Magic vs. Cowboys! ...who also have magic. And zombies. And Mad Science. And...)
Call of Cthulhu
TORG Eternity (He can get in line behind the OTHER interdimensional conquerors trying to strip-mine Earth of possibility energy.)
Nobilis
Mythender

Note that some of these, your Evil Emperor can conquer inside of 25 hours if he's not an idiot about it, and others will EAT HIM ALIVE. Possibly literally.

The Chronicles of Amber is one of my favorite fantasy series. Don't know how well it would translate to a TTRPG setting (although they made an "Amber Diceless Roleplaying Game", I've never played).

It is a good series. The RPG was one of the first diceless RPGs I'm aware of, and is an interesting mixture of groundbreaking ideas, decent RPG advice, and antagonistic GMing. (It's out of print forever now due to licensing, but there's a 'spiritual sequel' called 'Lords of Gossamer and Shadow', which I haven't had the chance to read yet.)

Rhedyn
2018-08-16, 12:22 PM
Low Life (post everything apocalypse and poop jokes)
Hellfrost (Norse fantasy)
Blackwood (Fairy tale fantasy)
Shaintar (Black and white good vs evil high fantasy)
Lankhmar (Used to be a D&D setting)
Malazan Book of the Fallen (the only non savage worlds thing I've listed)
Beat and Barbarians (Basically Conan)
Deadlands (Zombie Western)
Iron Dynasty (Japan plus oni plus bamboo mechs)
50 Fathoms (Fantasy Pirates)

I left out what other people mentioned (Like Rifts)

Anonymouswizard
2018-08-16, 04:58 PM
This Emporer wouldn't happen to be a psychic vampire with two katanas and control over Star Wars perchance? (http://irolledazero.blogspot.com/)

Setting the bad jokes aside, I suggest going for a slightly heavier theming, at least for the initial worlds.

Instead of this large mishmash of settings pick say ten settings that are fairly close in theme, style, or world to your setting and set these as the worlds you can get to from, I'm going to call it Homeline because I like GURPS, it's your characters' home setting. These are metaphysically closer to Homeline and are such easier to get to, but each links to multiple other worlds they share themes with, including some you can't get to from Homeline.

Can you see where I'm going with this? Set up a web of worlds (the best way to do this is probably with nodes and connections on paper). As a simplified if I'm running Forgotten Realms I might have it connect to Greyhawk, Brithright, Eberron, Ivalice, and Thedas. Taking a couple of these, I can see potential links to Aventuria from both Eberron and Birthright, so those both link to it, but Eberron also links to Urban Arcana and Mage: the Ascension, both of which are relatively isolated here, while Greyhawk and Birthright both link to the Hyberion Age and Glorantha. Mage: the Ascension allows travel to Unknown Armies and the Illuminatus Trilogy setting, both of which are connected to each other.

Try setting the multiverse up with some structure and you'll find it works at least a bit better. The above was done in my head in about two minutes, with a bit of work you could pull up 100 or more settings and make links between them.

Poiuytrewq
2018-08-17, 11:55 AM
I know Rick and Morty has a bad reputation these days but what i ahve in mind is something kind of like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgpSWm7bOM4

Perch
2018-08-27, 08:51 PM
-Not 616 earth but marvel universe has many interesting dimensions for you to use such as the dark dimension, limbo, punch dimension, dark force and ligth force dimension.
-Order of the stick.
-Adventure time.
-The dark tower.