PDA

View Full Version : Mystic Healing Build Suggestions

metalith
2018-08-15, 10:59 PM
I am participating in a new game starting this Sunday. We are going to go through Prince of the Apocalypse at Lv 1. Except for one of the players the other ones are new to 5e and D&D in general. Pretty much I'll be occupying the healing role of the party. Since I have the most experience. Current party make-up is Rogue, Sorcerer, Monk, Warlock. I am really wanting to build a Mystic but looking at the Restoration discipline has me concerned that it will be fine for low levels but won't be able to keep up as we increase level up, especially for in combat emergency healing. Any suggestions appreciated.

I got semi lucky with stat rolling, 18 18 16 11 10 9. The DM does not allow multi-classing. If Mystic is not a good healer, I'm considering rolling a Glamour Bard or Land Druid.

Exocist
2018-08-16, 12:06 AM
Healing is not really necessary nor is it a good option in 5e. The only time you should be healing is if someone is on 0 hitpoints, otherwise it's kind of a waste of resources.

I would suggest becoming a controller instead - you prevent the opponent from dealing damage rather than trying to reverse the damage they deal. In general, the first will save the party more HP for less cost.

To this end, I would suggest grabbing the Psychic Assault and Mastery of Ice disciplines (Psychic Assault locks down single targets with Ego Whip, Mastery of Ice locks down multiple targets with walls and Frozen Rain). Mastery of Ice is not really needed until ~5th level, so I would suggest going Immortal or Nomad as your subclass.

What races does your DM allow? Stats should be, in any case:

9 STR
18 (or 16) DEX
16 (or 18, whichever you didn't pick for DEX) CON
18 INT
11 WIS
10 CHA

But without knowing what races your DM will allow, I cannot honestly comment on which is the best choice. In general, Variant Human is never bad though.

metalith
2018-08-16, 12:14 AM
Healing is not really necessary nor is it a good option in 5e. The only time you should be healing is if someone is on 0 hitpoints, otherwise it's kind of a waste of resources.

I would suggest becoming a controller instead - you prevent the opponent from dealing damage rather than trying to reverse the damage they deal. In general, the first will save the party more HP for less cost.

To this end, I would suggest grabbing the Psychic Assault and Mastery of Ice disciplines (Psychic Assault locks down single targets with Ego Whip, Mastery of Ice locks down multiple targets with walls and Frozen Rain). Mastery of Ice is not really needed until ~5th level, so I would suggest going Immortal or Nomad as your subclass.

What races does your DM allow? Stats should be, in any case:

9 STR
18 (or 16) DEX
16 (or 18, whichever you didn't pick for DEX) CON
18 INT
11 WIS
10 CHA

But without knowing what races your DM will allow, I cannot honestly comment on which is the best choice. In general, Variant Human is never bad though.

Pretty much we can use any playable race from the officially released material and Unearthed Arcana. I was considering being human and using my starting feal for Healer feat for the cheap extra heals outside of combat. My play style is controller but with a lot of newbie I'm expecting bad battle field placement or situations where I need to be able to heal multiple people on the fly. I never played Prince of the Apocalypse but with finishing Hoard of the Dragon Queen, trying to survive a battle where you have multiple rounds of dragon breath suck.

Exocist
2018-08-16, 12:23 AM
Pretty much we can use any playable race from the officially released material and Unearthed Arcana. I was considering being human and using my starting feal for Healer feat for the cheap extra heals outside of combat. My play style is controller but with a lot of newbie I'm expecting bad battle field placement or situations where I need to be able to heal multiple people on the fly. I never played Prince of the Apocalypse but with finishing Hoard of the Dragon Queen, trying to survive a battle where you have multiple rounds of dragon breath suck.

Dragon's can't use dragon breath if they can't take actions or there's a wall in the way.

Healer feat might be ok, but Psychic Restoration for 1 PP should be fine for getting people from 0 to not 0.

If your DM allows any playable race, take a flying race

I might suggest doing one of the following if your DM allows any - Yuan-Ti Pureblood if worried about saves, Warforged (Envoy) if you want to be a bit more durable or Variant Human (I would suggest Resilient Constitution as your feat).

Even with newbies having bad battlefield placement, all you need to do is direct them to attack dude X while you wall off the rest of the enemies or just constantly disable the enemies while the newbies wail on them. Even with bad resource management and lots of "I attacks", a bad guy that can't do anything will fall. I've been in that situation before - a newbie and an unoptimal character (Warlock/Sorcerer/Rogue) were the other 2 characters in my party. Turns out that doesn't matter when the enemies are constantly unable to do anything.

carrdrivesyou
2018-08-16, 06:23 AM
Exocist has it about right honestly. Healing isn't as necessary in this edition. So long as you can pick people up from zero a few times a day, you're good.

As for the Mystic...healing is not an optimal choice. While it is certainly something you CAN do, you won't be excelling at it any time soon. Any bard or cleric or even most druids will out perform you. If you are dead set on being a Mystic, I would suggest the Immortal subclass, grab Psionic restoration, and some control abilities.

To quote, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

MagneticKitty
2018-08-16, 06:03 PM
Just saying: Aasimar has some extra healing but doesn't fit stat spread wise.

rbstr
2018-08-17, 10:02 AM
What kind of Warlock do you have? If they're a Celestial you probably have most the combat healing you want. Otherwise something with some kind of bonus-action heals would be pretty useful to pick people up off the floor. I find that kind of healing to be pretty invaluable. Control is not some kind of foolproof damage prevention strategy in my experience. Particularly against tougher encounters. Enemy saves will be made and you'll take big hits.
The Dreams Druid also has a dice pool for bonus-heals, but anyone with healing word can work.
But also, I think you guys are going to have trouble if you get into a stand up fight since you are rolling quite light on armor and hit die. You've got two mobile/skirmish melee characters and two casters. I think you need to improve your party's toughness by being pretty tough yourself or bumping everyone else's toughness up.

If I were gonna be a mystic I think Avatar or Immortal are probably the way to go. That's medium armor + shield or decent unarmored defense and extra hp.
A Glamour Bard can provide a whole lot of THP along with party positioning in a day. So that could increase the party's toughness a good bit plus give you that healing word.
Various Clerics are good. Even a Ranger with Healing Spirit.

Sinon
2018-08-17, 11:31 AM
Even with newbies having bad battlefield placement, all you need to do is direct them to attack dude X while you wall off the rest of the enemies or just constantly disable the enemies while the newbies wail on them. Even with bad resource management and lots of "I attacks", a bad guy that can't do anything will fall. I've been in that situation before - a newbie and an unoptimal character (Warlock/Sorcerer/Rogue) were the other 2 characters in my party. Turns out that doesn't matter when the enemies are constantly unable to do anything.
You could also take Mantle of Command - that will allow you to move (inexperienced) allies into better positions.

Mantle of Command's focus allows you to shift an ally for free, as long as you haven't moved yourself. It's just one ally and half speed, but that could be enough to get them into cover or out of another ally's blast radius.