PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder PF - How would one convert the War Magic Study feat to PF?

unseenmage
2018-08-16, 04:01 AM
Over in this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306567) myself and others explore the War Magic Study feat from Dragon 309 page 44.

Am playing a monstrous wizard for whom War Spells would be massively appropriate. Thing is I could use some help adapting the War Spell creation guidelines to the PF power curve.

Thoughts, Playground?

zlefin
2018-08-16, 12:57 PM
hmm, looking it over, i'm not sure anything would need to be changed.
I don't have experience with these; but I think the feat would work as is in PF (to whatever degree it works in 3.5, i.e. it would work just as well in PF as it does in 3.5)
what power curve differences are you seeing that would require adjustment?

unseenmage
2018-08-16, 08:09 PM
Well, PF nerfed a lot of spells and as-is it was mentioned in that other thread that War Spells can be VERY potent.

zlefin
2018-08-16, 09:09 PM
I think that the underlying spells it could be used with were nerfed should be nerf enough. Though I'm still not that familiar with it, and haven't read the other thread in its entirety.
to put my previous points another way: the war study feat doesn't need to be adjusted for PF; any adjustments it would need would apply just as much to using it in 3.5, it just needs those adjustments period (whatever those are).

I wonder if there might be a better way to get what you're looking for.
which parts of war magic are most interesting/relevant to your goals?
it might be easier to simply design a different custom feat which could achieve your goals.

unseenmage
2018-08-16, 09:37 PM
I think that the underlying spells it could be used with were nerfed should be nerf enough. Though I'm still not that familiar with it, and haven't read the other thread in its entirety.
to put my previous points another way: the war study feat doesn't need to be adjusted for PF; any adjustments it would need would apply just as much to using it in 3.5, it just needs those adjustments period (whatever those are).

I wonder if there might be a better way to get what you're looking for.
which parts of war magic are most interesting/relevant to your goals?
it might be easier to simply design a different custom feat which could achieve your goals.

The character I'm playing is a Doppelganger Amalgam-ed to a Mimic by the same ancient wizards who fought and caused the Mana Wastes on Golarion.
My guy was a magical espianage tool freed from cold storage by a magic storm.

As a lost magical technique War Magic Study fits the bill nicely as is. I just dont want to accidentally roflstomp the campaign too much.

Jack_Simth
2018-08-16, 09:53 PM
The character I'm playing is a Doppelganger Amalgam-ed to a Mimic by the same ancient wizards who fought and caused the Mana Wastes on Golarion.
My guy was a magical espianage tool freed from cold storage by a magic storm.

As a lost magical technique War Magic Study fits the bill nicely as is. I just dont want to accidentally roflstomp the campaign too much.

Well... what it'll do to the campaign depends largely on the DM's playstyle. A few things to keep in mind:

1) War Magic spells take at a minimum one full minute to cast.
2) You have to have studied the area for at least a little while.
3) While it's not mentioned in the guidelines, many of the spells had their durations truncated to 1 minute/level (The 1 minute/level Enhance Armor is based on the 1 hour/level Magic Vestment as an example... but there's also counterexamples like Calvary Call and Small Stronghold).

So if you're accosted while traveling, they're pretty much useless. If you're rushed, they're pretty much useless.

Where it'll break the campaign is when you are allowed to prepare the encounter. A silent Summon Monstrous Horde, cast while you're under the effects of Invisibility, will wreck most things (at caster level 5: You cast Invisibility, and have five minutes to play with. You walk up to your new opponent. Study them quietly for a minute. Spend one minute casting the spell. And then have 125 Summon Monster II critters pounding on him for five rounds). OK, yes, you burned through 1,500 gp as a 5th level Wizard to win one encounter. But it will VERY LIKELY do the job against most things that are even close to level-appropriate.

unseenmage
2018-08-16, 10:22 PM
So the biggest issue seems to be that 25 per CL boost.

Is there a lower multiplier that would make these less op?