PDA

View Full Version : What's a good Fairy Themed boss fight encounter?

Raine_Sage
2018-08-16, 01:29 PM
So I'm thinking of running a Fey flavored campaign for my friends and I need help figuring out what to put for the final fight.

So the premise is that two Archfey are engaged in what is essentially kind of a complicated game of Jenga. There's a big nasty something sleeping/sealed away/otherwise incapacitated underneath the city and the two of them take turns poking it awake while collecting heroes on the side. Whoever makes the beasty wake up and subsequently raze the city loses the game, unless the heroes on their "team" can kill it in which case they win the game instead.

So while the fey are poking the thing the PCs (who have been enlisted in this thing under false pretenses of stopping calamity) are regularly sent on missions to interfere with the opposing team who they have been told are solely responsible for trying to wake the beast up when really the fairy just wants to make sure that their rivals heroes are too weak to kill it if they happen to poke it awake first. Likewise the opposing team will regularly mess with the heroes.

It's certainly possible the PCs will figure out they're part of the jenga game well before anything gets woken up in which case the final encounter would be against both of the fairies, but in the scenario where they don't figure it out until the thing's actually starting to stir, what's a good fairy themed monster/natural disaster/hazard that can be turned into a good final showdown?

Spectrulus
2018-08-16, 01:48 PM
A jabberwocky would do nicely.

Fluff a Dragon slightly and you're there.

Ninja_Prawn
2018-08-16, 01:49 PM
What CR are you looking for? I almost certainly have something for this... :smallbiggrin:

MagneticKitty
2018-08-16, 01:55 PM
I mean, fairies don't have to poke a fey thing. I don't see why it can't be whatever you want

But if it must be fey what about:
Kirin (cr 27) or great sylvan (cr 24) from Monsters of the Orient (3rd party pdf)

Tome of beasts (3rd party) also has some cr 17, 18, and 21
But they're medium and not very monsterish. More like witches and human like fey

Aembrosia
2018-08-16, 02:13 PM
Fantastic concept. Would love to assist and see what others come up with. Definitely need more information.

Number of players
Average level
Low/normal/high magic
Are we in the faewild

And we're looking for several challenges?

The sleeping monster + environment of its lair + minor accompanying threat.

The opposing team/s an archfey would assemble.

I have ideas.

DragonBaneDM
2018-08-16, 02:19 PM
I used a swarm of Faeries called the Mockvast Clique (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-454012.html) a while back, feel free to check it out.

That's a pretty rough draft, but the idea of a giant made of Tiny faeries ended up being a pretty memorable fight, with a bunch of useful spores floating around players could interact with instead of just going face at the thing.

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-08-16, 02:22 PM
Navi

-Has no hit points or AC. (can't be targeted)
-Demands that you listen to her tell you all the stuff you already know before you can progress in the game.
-Follows the party around wherever they go shouting at them to pay attention and reminding them of the quest they're currently on for the rest of the campaign.

Ninja_Prawn
2018-08-16, 02:30 PM
Navi

That's kind of brilliant.

"Oh no, the terrible beast has awoken! Who will save us from this evil fate?!"
"Never fear, my Queen, we shall slay the..."
"HEY! LISTEN!"
"...we're boned."

Zanthy1
2018-08-16, 02:45 PM
Tarrasque. Always and forever

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-08-16, 03:40 PM
that's kind of brilliant.

"oh no, the terrible beast has awoken! Who will save us from this evil fate?!"
"never fear, my queen, we shall slay the..."
"hey! Listen!"
"...we're boned."

exactly!!!

krugaan
2018-08-16, 03:50 PM
exactly!!!

I just realized that Navi is actually a will-o-wisp who feeds on annoyance and not the usual negative emotions.

Grog Logs
2018-08-16, 04:30 PM
A jabberwocky would do nicely.

Fluff a Dragon slightly and you're there.

Don't forget a Vorpal (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorpal_sword)Sword!

So I'm thinking of running a Fey flavored campaign...(snip)...There's a big nasty something sleeping/sealed away/otherwise incapacitated underneath the city...(snip)...what's a good fairy themed monster/natural disaster/hazard that can be turned into a good final showdown?

Maybe an Elder Elemental from MTF: Elder Tempest (CR 23), Zaratan (CR 22), Leviathan (CR 20) or Phoenix (CR 16). Don't let the Phoenix's CR fool you, it rises from the ashes. So, they'll have to periodically defeat it while searching for a way to seal it away for good again.

If you need something weaker maybe a Star Spawn Seer (CR 13 in MTF).

Or, you could go with a Nightwalker (CR 20) from the Negative Plane. So, in general, check out MTF, it has a lot of great high CR monsters.

Dr. Cliché
2018-08-16, 04:45 PM
I just wanted to say that I love this idea. :smallbiggrin:

Naanomi
2018-08-16, 04:46 PM
One could also go for a big effect rather than a singularly powerful monster... say the actual 'thing' has the stats of an Archdruid; but also throw in an absolute legion of plant monsters as everything awakens to its presence

Requilac
2018-08-16, 06:36 PM
You know, I think I might actually have an exceptional idea for this. As I was working on creating a homebrew setting, I invented some fey deities. One of which I think would work great for this.

The monster is not a monster in the conventional sense. It is some sort of force or spirit which has managed to possess an entire forest. For many centuries, it has been in a deep slumber. Those that walk into the forest can tell something is off; the tree branches seem to shift position and move of their own accord, some animal corpses can be found tangled in thorns or branches and have apparently killed by the plants themselves, and the very ground seems to vibrate as if it had a beating heart. The fey lords are attempting to awaken this entity known as Cohdwiggoed*, The Forest that Breathes. When they do, this evil spirit will gain awareness of its surroundings and strike out at the local settlements, not as one monster but many. Upon its awakening, vines and roots will slash through entire towns and break the buildings and roads in half as legions of blights, treants, shambling mounds and myconids all under the hivemind of Cohdwiggoed rampage the wrecked towns. Some dragons, giants, humanoids, monstrosities and undead will also become corrupted and dominated by the Forest that Breathes. The only way to defeat this malevolent deity is to fight to a flooded and overgrown grottoe in the center of the woods and destroy its gargantuan, still throbbing heart guarded by malformed demons which have had their mind overtaken by Cohdwiggoed's.

If you are not going for horror, this may not be the best plot to go with. Regardless, I hope I have helped.

*It's name definitely isn't an altered spelling of the Welsh word of forest, why would you accuse me of such things?

ImproperJustice
2018-08-16, 07:30 PM
I think there is a golden opportunity here to really go outside the box. My top suggestions:

Not so much a beast, as an intelligent, overwhelmingly cute infection/demi plane that begins to spread and convert everything in sight transforming their world into the equivalent of the hyper lethal forest from the Trolls movie.

The only way to stop it,will require the PCs to put their clothes on backwards, walk on their hands, and/or tell knock knock jokes to the central controlling invulnerabl fluffy blob monster in the center.

Option 2: Involves the PCs being transported to the equivalent of Let’s make a Deal, where they are put through terrible and comedic situations to amuse the Aboleth that has been released. If suitably satisfied by their efforts, it retreats to restart the game.

Option 3: Fight an animate victory feast (Get it, the feast eats you?)

The opposition is overwhelming but opportunities abound to goad the two fairy leaders into turning on one another in a massively ugly food fight, where the PCs can walk away.

Afrodactyl
2018-08-16, 08:13 PM
I second a jabberwock. I would use a dragon template of some kind, but have it only being killable with a vorpal weapon.

Or, it's a huge nest of smaller slumbering fey that will just cause untold chaos if they're awoken.

Naanomi
2018-08-16, 08:16 PM
It is the town itself... a sea of animated objects, mimics, etc

Dr. Cliché
2018-08-17, 03:44 AM
I second a jabberwock. I would use a dragon template of some kind, but have it only being killable with a vorpal weapon.

A jabberwock could be interesting, but I think it needs to be more than just a dragon.

Maybe the Wild Magic table could be worked into it? Like, anyone near it or attacking it has to roll on said table, as the jabberwock randomly warps reality around it.

Unoriginal
2018-08-17, 04:29 AM
Four Eladrins, one for each season.

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-08-17, 09:54 AM
I just realized that Navi is actually a will-o-wisp who feeds on annoyance and not the usual negative emotions.

Haha, you're so right! I think we've got a winning suggestion here.