PDA

View Full Version : Changling assassin build equipment.

FTG82
2018-08-16, 03:53 PM
Hey so I've been building a character lately and I've got her mostly done. Here's her build
Name: Daphne Dolores
Daaiyah Orva
Phaidra Dolea
Nole Eloise
Race: Changeling (Dark Template http://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/templates/dark.shtml)
LA: +1
Type: Humanoide
Subtype: Shape Shifter, Extraplanar
Height: 4’4”
Weight: 72.5
Alignment: Neutral Evil
HP: 4
Speed: 50
Str: 12
Dex: 16
Con: 10
Wis: 12
Int: 18
Chr: 13
Class: 1(8 total) Rogue (Changling Variant for 1st, 3rd, 8th Levels(Page 122 in Races of Eberron)), (3 total) Factotum, (3 total) Swashbuckler (Arcane Stunt) , (2 total) Swordsage, (3 Total) Assassin, (1 total) Exemplar
Skills: Hide, Move Silently, Disguise, Sleight of hand, Spot, Listen, Search, Disable Device, Bluff, Diplo, Gather Info, Sense Motive,Pick Lock, Innuendo
Feats: Able Learner, Persona Immersion, Darkstalker
Traits: Quick, Aggressive
Flaws: Frail, Shaky
Level 1:
Class: Rogue (Changling Variant)
Feats: Able Learner, Persona Immersion, Darkstalker
Skills: Hide, Move Silently, Disguise, Sleight of hand, Spot, Listen, Search, Disable Device, Bluff, Diplo, Gather Info, Sense Motive,Pick Lock, Innuendo
BAB: 0
Fort: 0
Reflex: +2
Will: 0
Special: Sneak Attack +1d6, Darkvision 60 ft., Hide in Plain Sight (Ex): Use the Hide skill even while being observed (except in natural daylight, the area of a daylight spell, or a similar effect), Resistance to cold 10, Superior low-light vision, take 10 on Bluff, Diplomacy,
Gather Information, Intimidate, and Sense Motive
checks, even if stress or distraction would normally
prevent from doing so, assessment of a social situation with a Sense Motive check can be made as a full-round action instead of taking a full minute, Making a Gather Information check to gain knowledge takes a changeling rogue only 1d4+1×10 minutes, instead of the normal 1d4+1 hours, +2 racial bonus on saving throws against sleep and charm effects, +2 racial bonus on Bluff, Intimidate, and Sense Motive checks, Natural Linguist: Changelings add Speak Language to their list of class skills for any class they adopt, Minor Change Shape (Su): Changelings have the supernatural ability to alter their appearance as though using a disguise self spell that affects their bodies but not their possessions. This ability is not an illusory effect but a minor physical alteration of a changeling’s facial features, skin color and texture, and size, within the limits described for the spell. A changeling can use this ability at will, and the alteration lasts until he changes shape again. A changeling reverts to his natural form when killed. A true seeing spell reveals his natural form. When using this ability to create a disguise, a changeling receives a +10 circumstance bonus on Disguise checks. Using this ability is a full-round action.
Languages: Common, Auran,Elven, Terran, Giant

The last thing I need is equpminet up to level 20. She's level 1 right now and I'll be picking what I'm using but I am looking for suggestions. The armor will have glamered for sure because of reasons. But other then that I am open to everything else. My DM is open to everything. And he will make me work for it so don't hold stuff back for price.

Nifft
2018-08-16, 05:21 PM
Don't take any Assassin levels, it's an awful class.

I wouldn't recommend mixing in Factotum levels unless you've got a way to leverage Mind Over Body. Since you're stopping at 3 it seems like you might, but your build doesn't seem to actually do anything worth the investment. You can play a Factotum 20 but you're going to be perpetually tight on feats, and you're going to need a very good understanding of UMD & wealth-by-level min-maxing.

Swordsage would benefit from a higher Wisdom score, also from more levels. High-level maneuvers can be really good.

You as a living being (who wants to remain living) would benefit from a higher Constitution score, unless this is a social game with very infrequent combat and all combat is against lower-level monsters.

FTG82
2018-08-17, 12:33 AM
The build it self is finished. I'm actually happy with the way it went in the test battles. I want things that help the build. I forgot where I put the list of fears I'm going to take but this build is focused on ADDING my int bonus to everything not changing everything over to int. She will be the skill monkey of the group that fights using her dex and Int. I will be using my hide and move silently to fight at all times. I will attack them then move away and hide before going back on the attack again. I'm looking for things to add to her playing style of a stealthy, lying, two faced ( techinally three XD ), and back stapping. She'll catch you off guard and stab you in the back. I got a way for her to work with the party with no problems. But key bonuses I want is stuff that add to those like int and dex bonus, ways to hide weapons, ways to make her sneak attacks more devastating, ways to give her a more sneaky way of avoiding damage besides con and AC. She will using lighter armor to work with swordsage bonuses, daggers ( lots so she can get around many damage reductions ), and plenty of magic items for utilities so it looks like she can do more then she actually can.

skunk3
2018-08-17, 01:21 AM
rushed ideas:

You can get smuggler's boots that have small compartments in the heel for hiding things. You can also get boot sheathes for hiding daggers. Glove of the Master Strategist is great. If you're playing Assassin you will want everything that can pump your death attack DC so I'd definitely recommend the Assassin's dagger and add the assassination enhancement to it for a further bonus... also, toxic and virulent would be good choices too. Wands of greater magic weapon would be your friend also. There's also the Bracers of Murder that give you a bonus to your death attack DC. You will also obviously want to get as high of a bonus as you can in hide and move silently. Certain skill tricks are worth looking into also. You would also want to find magical or mundane items that make you hard to track via scent, scrying (not cheap), alignment, etc. Wand of Silence. Buy some custom magical boots that give you bonuses to speed and other tactical abilities. Ring of Invisibility / Etherialness. Cloak of Stone / Cape of the Viper from the MIC for hiding and skulking. Basically anything and everything that makes you sneaky, undetectable, and quick. I have many other suggestions but running short on time.

My idea of the perfect weapon for an assassin would be:

Assassin's dagger with assassination (+1), toxic (+1), virulent (+1), fleshgrinding (+2), binding (+1), and spell storing - pick something juicy (+1) enhancements. On top of that you can add several other flat GP cost modifications, like hilt hollow, serrated, razor sharp, sudden strike, sudden stunning, and basically every kind of 'surge' enhancement from the DMG II. Even if your target manages to make their save vs. the assassination attempt they still have to roll to save vs. poison (twice) that acts faster than normal, plus you can choose to activate the fleshgrinding property at the end of your attack(s) so they have to deal with a poisoned dagger stuck in their back that attacks them on every round until they remove it. Also, the spell storing could have tons of possible effects (hold person is a decent one) and you're still going to have all of the "surge" properties as well as sudden stunning... lol... you're either going to murder them outright, or at the very least do a ton of damage and leave them completely messed up. The icing on the cake is that because the weapon has binding they can't just magically bamf away.

FTG82
2018-08-17, 02:50 AM
rushed ideas:

You can get smuggler's boots that have small compartments in the heel for hiding things. You can also get boot sheathes for hiding daggers. Glove of the Master Strategist is great. If you're playing Assassin you will want everything that can pump your death attack DC so I'd definitely recommend the Assassin's dagger and add the assassination enhancement to it for a further bonus... also, toxic and virulent would be good choices too. Wands of greater magic weapon would be your friend also. There's also the Bracers of Murder that give you a bonus to your death attack DC. You will also obviously want to get as high of a bonus as you can in hide and move silently. Certain skill tricks are worth looking into also. You would also want to find magical or mundane items that make you hard to track via scent, scrying (not cheap), alignment, etc. Wand of Silence. Buy some custom magical boots that give you bonuses to speed and other tactical abilities. Ring of Invisibility / Etherialness. Cloak of Stone / Cape of the Viper from the MIC for hiding and skulking. Basically anything and everything that makes you sneaky, undetectable, and quick. I have many other suggestions but running short on time.

My idea of the perfect weapon for an assassin would be:

Assassin's dagger with assassination (+1), toxic (+1), virulent (+1), fleshgrinding (+2), binding (+1), and spell storing - pick something juicy (+1) enhancements. On top of that you can add several other flat GP cost modifications, like hilt hollow, serrated, razor sharp, sudden strike, sudden stunning, and basically every kind of 'surge' enhancement from the DMG II. Even if your target manages to make their save vs. the assassination attempt they still have to roll to save vs. poison (twice) that acts faster than normal, plus you can choose to activate the fleshgrinding property at the end of your attack(s) so they have to deal with a poisoned dagger stuck in their back that attacks them on every round until they remove it. Also, the spell storing could have tons of possible effects (hold person is a decent one) and you're still going to have all of the "surge" properties as well as sudden stunning... lol... you're either going to murder them outright, or at the very least do a ton of damage and leave them completely messed up. The icing on the cake is that because the weapon has binding they can't just magically bamf away.
The first part I agree with. Thanks for the suggestions as to what I can get. I've seen some like the bracers of murder. But I'm looking for more options I didn't see/ don't know about. Thanks for the suggestions that you were able to leave I'll look for those. And that dagger sounds nice. BUT way to costly. She'd be looking at lots of not cheap but not costly daggers instead of one super one. ( she's worried she'll lose her knife etc. Etc. ) but I think I'll use a lot of that stuff. Thanks for the suggestions.

skunk3
2018-08-17, 05:49 AM
The first part I agree with. Thanks for the suggestions as to what I can get. I've seen some like the bracers of murder. But I'm looking for more options I didn't see/ don't know about. Thanks for the suggestions that you were able to leave I'll look for those. And that dagger sounds nice. BUT way to costly. She'd be looking at lots of not cheap but not costly daggers instead of one super one. ( she's worried she'll lose her knife etc. Etc. ) but I think I'll use a lot of that stuff. Thanks for the suggestions.

At bare minimum you will need the Assassin's Dagger with the additional +1 "assassination" enhancement to drive up your death attack DC. If you plan on actually assassinating people you need to pump that save DC as high as you can because it doesn't scale that well. The base save is DC 10 + assassin class level + INT modifier. So, assuming nothing else boosting your INT you're looking at a DC fortitude save of 24, which by 20th level that means that even a Wizard (crap fort saves) only needs to make a roll of 14 or better to save against the attack, and that's assuming that it doesn't have an item of resistance +5 by that point, which it very likely will. That brings it down to a 9, which is less than 50% odds that your attack will work and then you're dealing with a scared and pissed off mage. The dagger with that additional enhancement is a must-have IMO. Other classes with higher fort saves are even harder to assassinate. Assassin overall is a fairly poor class mechanically, but it sure is fun.

And while the dagger that I mentioned would be quite expensive indeed (nearly 200k GP) if you are planning on using Death Attack you want that first strike to be as deadly / debilitating as possible.

skunk3
2018-08-17, 05:51 AM
Sadly there aren't many items that improve Death Attack DC outside of homebrew. Your best bet is to find another class with DA that stacks. Aside from the dagger, the enhancement, and the gloves, I don't know of anything else that can help, but if it's out there I want to know about it too because I have an Assassin build that I put together for a game currently on hiatus.

iTreeby
2018-08-17, 06:51 AM
Suprised not to see any of the social skill tricks. For items I always like to use s shiftweave and ring of arming on these characters so you can have your outfit change with your appearance.

sleepyphoenixx
2018-08-17, 08:18 AM
Mainly you want the same things as other characters. That means the List of Necessary Magic Items (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items) and Items That Boost Saves (http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=188). I'd especially buy a Shadow Cloak (DotU) asap - it'll likely save your life more than once.
Shax's Indispensable Haversack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?148101-3-x-Shax-s-Indispensible-Haversack-(Equipment-Handbook)) is also worth a look, especially for a rogue-type.

For more specific items i'd suggest a Possum Pouch (S&S), Ring of Silent Spells (MIC) and some of the Chronocharms (MIC). Also the Ring of Anticipation (DotU) and Gloves of Object Reading (MIC).
Sandals of the Light Step (MIC) are a little pricey but very useful to have. Shadow Hands (ToB) of Shadow Jaunt for cheap, re-usable teleportation.
For cheap hide/move silently boost take a look at Darkweave Clothing (ECS), Silent Shoes (A&EG) and Shadow Silk armor (ToM).
Longspoon Thieves Tools (CAdv) are always good to have, as are some hidden pockets with lead lining (CSc). A Silent Portal Disk (MoF) too, and a Third Eye:Sense (MIC) for scouting.

Suprised not to see any of the social skill tricks. For items I always like to use s shiftweave and ring of arming on these characters so you can have your outfit change with your appearance.

Don't buy a Shiftweave. Buy a Vestment of Many Styles (RoE), it costs the same and is better in every way.

Lotheb
2018-08-17, 09:40 AM
If you're worried about losing daggers you could get a gauntlet of infinite blades for a relatively cheap (relative to 20th level, you'd have to lose a lot of daggers before it's a reasonable buy) infinite supply of temporary daggers. Has charges you can spend to enchant the daggers (not a lot /day), swift action to create a dagger, in the magic item compendium. Ask your DM if you can upgrade it with more charges and options if you want it as a main source of weapons, but as is its just an ok backup

iTreeby
2018-08-17, 03:44 PM
Don't buy a Shiftweave. Buy a Vestment of Many Styles (RoE), it costs the same and is better in every way.
The shiftweave actually gives any bonuses the outfit gives (such as bonuses vrs climate or what have you). The vestment of many styles is better for imitating specific outfits but only gives +2 to disguise. Your millage may vary but the vestment is likely better.

ShurikVch
2018-08-17, 05:57 PM
Sadly there aren't many items that improve Death Attack DC outside of homebrew. Your best bet is to find another class with DA that stacks. Aside from the dagger, the enhancement, and the gloves, I don't know of anything else that can help, but if it's out there I want to know about it too because I have an Assassin build that I put together for a game currently on hiatus.Ability Focus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#abilityFocus) (Death Attack)
With the Bind Vestige and Improved Bind Vestige you may bind Focalor, which gives you access to Aura of Sadness (no-save –2 penalty on saving throws)