PDA

View Full Version : dwarf fighter which subclass

Whit
2018-08-17, 09:02 AM
Looking to make mountain dwarf fighter but not sure to go champion, battlemaster or eldritch knight.

I would assume champion is two handed damage based Pretty straight forward.

Does anyone take champion?

Battle master sword shield or two handed

Eldritch knight sword shield or two handed

Galadhrim
2018-08-17, 09:07 AM
Champion gets run down a lot but the two I've seen Iin play have been very efficient killing machines. All of the fighter subclasses are good at what they do, so pick the one that seems most interesting and run with it.

KorvinStarmast
2018-08-17, 09:11 AM
Looking to make mountain dwarf fighter but not sure to go champion, battlemaster or eldritch knight.

My champion is sword and board. He began with dueling and later took defense as second fighting style. Not as high on the DPR as a two hander/GWF, to be sure.

Both EK's I've seen are S&B. Effective.

BM: only seen one, S&B but I can see GWF/Two Handed weapons working pretty well.

CTurbo
2018-08-17, 09:14 AM
They're all good. Just depends on how you see your character playing out. I've actually played an archer and TWF Champion before and they were great, but yeah it kinda has GWF GWM Half-Orc with Greataxe written all over it. Just because it's simple doesn't mean it can't be effective.

Battle Master lets you do cool things. I particularly love Riposte and Parry because if the enemy hits you, you can turn it into a miss, and if they miss you, you can attack them. Pairs extra well with Sentinel IMO. I love Trip Attack, Disarming Attack, and Goading attack for Battle Master Archers.

Whit
2018-08-17, 12:24 PM
So a twf style extra attack and at lvl 5 3 attack’s Looking to roll the 19> crit.
If human. Get duel wield feat or demihuman get it at lvl 5?

No brains
2018-08-17, 12:44 PM
If you're going dwarf fighter, you gotta use a 1-handed weapon one way or another! The Dwarven Thrower was made for you, and you gotta be ready to take it up if you find it!

Hope for a magic item is honestly probably a bad way to design a character, but if you want to reach for that particular star, you may want to avoid Eldritch Knight. Cantrips end up competing with your Extra attacks for your action and it can keep the Thrower from getting all the use it could get.

The skills you want and the rest of your party can help you decide subclass. If you don't want athletics as a skill, Champion gives you half proficiency (and also half-proficiency in initiative checks too). If your party includes a rogue, Battle Master's Commander's Strike can give them an extra Sneak Attack a turn, greatly improving the team's DPR.

ImproperJustice
2018-08-17, 12:50 PM
We have a Dwarven Champion who has been with us since level 1. He’s 8 now.
Shield Master and Resilient Dex with Defense.
His damage output has always been a little low, but he stands tall when others have long been put out of the fight. Fireballs and Dragonbreath barely touch him, and his AC stops 90% of incoming damage.

He just got his hands on a thrower, so now he shoves foes back out of melee and pops them with his hammer. The crit bonus is great with the thrower.

Natural Athlete comes up more frequently than you might think and the initiative bonus is nice.

Now he’s trying to decide for level 10 if he is gonna go with Dueling or Archery for his fighting style.

Whit
2018-08-17, 01:08 PM
Wow did t know about it adding to initiative thanks.

Derpaligtr
2018-08-18, 08:35 AM

Anyone that I've seen pkay a champion, that isn't just learning the game, seems to switch really fast. Mileage may vary and you will always find someone to defendn something on the internet... But if AL has taught me anything is that a whole lot of people find the champion boring.

I like the EK with a two handed weapon. Out of the three subclasses I find EK the best designed as the other two core ones are wonky.

EK 2 handed would be great. You don't need Int to 've an awesome EK, strength, con, and wis work just fine :)

Derpldorf
2018-08-18, 11:03 PM
You could try Brute and learn the high dwarven art of hitting things really, really hard AND ace your saving throws to resist alchohol.

Particle_Man
2018-08-18, 11:42 PM
Personally I love playing the champion. I went for defense first and am sword and boarding it. I likely will get duellist at tenth.

Really it depends what you want to do with your fighter. Are you into using a little magic in addition to fighting? Do you like using extra tactical options? Do you prefer to keep the class simple?

BurgerBeast
2018-08-19, 05:43 AM
I’ve played a mountain dwarf battlemaster and he was awesome. Great Weapon.

You can start with 17 Str and 17 Con if playing point-buy. At level 4, those 17s become 18s. At level 8, Str 20. At level 12, Con 20...

My favourite is to attack, and if you miss use the maneuver that lets you add 1d8 to your attack roll (Precision Attack?). If you hit, use Trip Attack. If the trip succeeds, then action surge for an extra attack with advantage. (3 extra attacks with advantage at level 5... etc)

djreynolds
2018-08-19, 12:27 PM

Champion is fine, IMO, this is for a skilled player wanting a challenge. You have to play 3 moves ahead, really.

The key is gaining advantage, expertise in athletics still works even though shield master does not anymore. I recently ran a TWF strength based champion, I would use first attack to shove and then my next attack to hit and then my bonus action to hit again. It can be effective.

The other key for champion, IMO, is versatility.... max out dex and strength grab GWM and SS and be able to use both

Do not spurn magic initiate, hex from warlock adds some nice damage. And bless, helps out for SS and GWM. Why not you have con saving throw proficiency. Also its not uncommon for a strength based fighter to have a higher wisdom score, and dumped dex score and now sacred flame becomes a very good ranged option

But I really like the battlemaster with GWM

If your DM allows, the Brute archetype could be perfect, good damage and good saves, now you fill in the rest

Good luck

Whit
2018-08-19, 01:31 PM
Why shove opponent? Also but sure what SS is thanks

Derpaligtr
2018-08-19, 01:35 PM
Why shove opponent? Also but sure what SS is thanks

Prone is an amazing condition.

Takes 1/2 movement to stand up.
Melee attackers (such as yourself) gain advantage.
If they try to crawl away, you get advantage on OA

Fighters don't get a lot of cool things and even shove sucks when you fight bigger creatures... But for the most part shove is one of the fighter's best friends.