View Full Version : Sports Sports Fans in the Playground!

Pages : [1] 2

jwhouk
2018-08-17, 10:42 AM
Are there such things as fans of RP and Sports?

I should count myself as one, as I've tried creating an "Entourage" style RPG using GURPS a long while back.

So - anyone excited for their team's upcoming (or in-progress) season?

Peelee
2018-08-17, 01:26 PM
Are there such things as fans of RP and Sports?

Sure there are! Also I don't like sports.

Bartmanhomer
2018-08-17, 02:58 PM
I'm a huge sports fan and RPG. :smile:

jwhouk
2018-08-17, 09:39 PM
I'm a huge sports fan and RPG. :smile:

And named after one of the greatest moments in sports history. ;)

(I root for two teams; the Milwaukee Brewers, and whoever is playing the Cubs.)

Razade
2018-08-17, 09:42 PM
Sure there are! Also I don't like sports.

Keeping it alive. Also, I don't like sports.

Bartmanhomer
2018-08-18, 12:31 AM
And named after one of the greatest moments in sports history. ;)

(I root for two teams; the Milwaukee Brewers, and whoever is playing the Cubs.)

The New York Yankees baseball team.

Artemis97
2018-08-18, 03:10 AM
You know, Bartmanhomer, I liked you until now, but you had to go and be a Yankees' fan. Go Red Sox!

Scarlet Knight
2018-08-18, 06:19 AM
Join us! And we will rule baseball forever!

http://a4.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2013%2F0226%2Fplay_e_offbase0227_ 576.jpg&w=576&h=324&scale=crop&cquality=80&location=origin

An Enemy Spy
2018-08-19, 05:46 PM
You know, Bartmanhomer, I liked you until now, but you had to go and be a Yankees' fan. Go Red Sox!

A Red Sox fan calling out a Yankees fan is like Saruman calling out Sauron. You're both evil.

Bartmanhomer
2018-08-19, 10:26 PM

FYI, I was born and raised in New York City my whole life. And Yankees is my favorite home baseball team. So don't get all mad at me for being a Yankees fan. :annoyed:

Artemis97
2018-08-20, 12:42 AM
Aw, don't take it the wrong way, just some good natured ribbing.

Peelee
2018-08-20, 12:46 AM
Indeed. The Yanks and the Sox are basically the same, except the Yankees have more money. And championships. And prestige. And a city people actually want to visit. I kid, I kid; the Yankees really do have the best team money can buy.
There, that should sufficiently rile up both groups.

FYI, I was born and raised in New York City my whole life.
A little envious of that, btw. Living there seems like an adventure.

2D8HP
2018-08-20, 06:32 AM
....the Yankees The Oakland A's really do have the best team....

Fixed that for you :tongue:

Bartmanhomer
2018-08-20, 06:38 AM
Indeed. The Yanks and the Sox are basically the same, except the Yankees have more money. And championships. And prestige. And a city people actually want to visit. I kid, I kid; the Yankees really do have the best team money can buy.
There, that should sufficiently rile up both groups.

A little envious of that, btw. Living there seems like an adventure.

It is. New York City is a wonderful place. Oh yeah and by the way Yankees is going to win the World Series this year. :biggrin:

jwhouk
2018-08-20, 07:13 AM
Gods help us all that that does not happen.

Let's see:

Hockey: Nashville Predators fan. Occasional sympathies for the local crew over in Glendale, but not when they're playing my boys.
Baseball: Milwaukee Brewers.
Football: I am from the great state of Wisconsin. I was born a Packers fan.
College Football: My alma mater, UW-Whitewater. Barring them, the big school in Madison (Wisconsin Badgers).
Basketball: Again, my alma mater, UW-Whitewater. I prefer Badger Big Ten hoops.

Oh, you mean the NBA? Well, yeah, the Bucks, but I already know they won't be winning a title anytime soon. Same as with about 24 other teams in the league.

The Other Footy: I'll be honest, don't really have any rooting interest in the so-called "beautiful game."

Peelee
2018-08-20, 07:43 AM
Fixed that for you :tongue:

Hmmm, how to best skewer the Oakland A's... ah, got it.

Who are the Oakland A's?

jwhouk
2018-08-20, 01:13 PM
Hey, hey now. Don't dis the local squad. (HoHoKam's the spring training home for the A's. I actually went to one of their games this spring - guess which one...)

Kyrell1978
2018-08-20, 02:56 PM
Kansas City Royals, Oakland Raiders, and pretty much any combat sport you can think of here.

Liquor Box
2018-08-20, 04:25 PM
Wellington Hurricanes and Brisbane Broncos

Scarlet Knight
2018-08-22, 06:15 AM
Just to throw some love the A's way, it is a great story when Khris Davis to hit a home run wearing a jersey autographed by a Make-A-Wish fan.

Now back to your regularly scheduled trash talk: The Athletics? Isn't that the team that Philadelphia said " Naw, we're good. We'd rather have the Phillies."

jwhouk
2018-08-22, 07:38 AM
It is said that the smartest move the Athletics ever made was to leave Philadelphia...

Peelee
2018-08-22, 08:53 AM
Now back to your regularly scheduled trash talk

Hear hear! It's not baseball unless there's good natured play fighting among the fans. Not real fighting, of course, then it'd be soccer. I went to a fight once, and a hockey game broke out.

The Fury
2018-08-22, 12:19 PM
Hear hear! It's not baseball unless there's good natured play fighting among the fans. Not real fighting, of course, then it'd be soccer.

Aw, us soccer supporters are able to keep it down to good ol' trash talk. At least in MLS and NWSL. Unless you're from Seattle.

The Eye
2018-08-22, 12:30 PM
Aren't fantasy sports the intersection between sports fans and rp fans? Also, I hate sports.

jwhouk
2018-08-22, 01:21 PM
Well, yeah, it is that time of year. Fantasy Football comes back with a vengeance, while Roto Baseball is winding down and Hockey pools are starting up.

Jay R
2018-08-22, 02:29 PM
I won't schedule a D&D session up against a Cowboys game.

It's technically possible to live in Dallas and not be a Cowboys fan, but I don't recommend it.

Scarlet Knight
2018-08-22, 07:50 PM
Can you at least pick your college football team? Texas, Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, A&M? You know, you guys could make your own conference if you throw in Rice, Houston & UTEP...

@V No.

Bartmanhomer
2018-08-22, 07:52 PM
Is Pokémon consider a sport by any chance? :confused:

Kyrell1978
2018-08-22, 08:12 PM
Is Pokémon consider a sport by any chance? :confused:Only "go" since you have to walk around. Lol.

Jay R
2018-08-22, 08:18 PM
Can you at least pick your college football team? Texas, Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, A&M? You know, you guys could make your own conference if you throw in Rice, Houston & UTEP...

Yes, I am still a Southwest Conference fan. As a Rice grad, I am more interested in the Rice/UH game than any other on this year's schedule -- because it's a SWC game.

When I was growing up, there were three major league sports in Texas -- Cowboys football, Southwest Conference football, and high school football.

jwhouk
2018-08-22, 08:44 PM
The Cowboys came first, the Astros came second, and the Stars came last.

Peelee
2018-08-22, 09:32 PM

It is in my heart. Let's form a team!

jwhouk
2018-08-23, 10:49 AM
Team Rocket isn't the same thing as the Houston Rockets, y'all.

Liquor Box
2018-08-23, 04:10 PM

If it was a sport, it would be the pokemon who are the participants, not the people. Just like in equestrian, it is the horses who are the athletes, not the riders.

AMFV
2018-08-23, 04:49 PM
If it was a sport, it would be the pokemon who are the participants, not the people. Just like in equestrian, it is the horses who are the athletes, not the riders.

Its definitely also the jockeys.

Jay R
2018-08-23, 07:28 PM

Riders and jockeys and rodeo stars are certainly athletes. If they are out of shape, they are much worse at their sport. So are horses, of course, but in any team sport, the entire team on the field are athletes.

Bartmanhomer
2018-08-23, 07:52 PM
It is in my heart. Let's form a team!

I'll choose six Magikarps as our star team. :biggrin:

Peelee
2018-08-23, 07:58 PM
I'll choose six Magikarps as our star team. :biggrin:

Seconded. Magikarp team will conquer all!

Bartmanhomer
2018-08-23, 08:04 PM
Seconded. Magikarp team will conquer all!

I couldn't agree with you even more. Team Magikarp will be unstoppable for sure. :smile:

Velaryon
2018-08-24, 01:51 PM
A Red Sox fan calling out a Yankees fan is like Saruman calling out Sauron. You're both evil.

Although as an adult I do not care much about sports, I was raised as a White Sox fan. Can confirm that Yankees = Sauron, Red Sox = Saruman. And of course, Cubs = Morgoth.

But then, from what I hear about the White Sox from my dad these days, they would be lucky to be one of the Sackville-Bagginses. :smallsigh:

The people would be the coaches, would they not?

Liquor Box
2018-08-26, 05:47 PM
The people would be the coaches, would they not?

A pretty good analogy I think.

Knaight
2018-08-26, 05:52 PM
Aren't fantasy sports the intersection between sports fans and rp fans? Also, I hate sports.
No. Fantasy sports are the intersection between sports fans and competitive spreadsheets enthusiasts. Also sometimes gamblers.

Although as an adult I do not care much about sports, I was raised as a White Sox fan. Can confirm that Yankees = Sauron, Red Sox = Saruman. And of course, Cubs = Morgoth.

Doesn't Morgoth have a record of winning things? Sure, not always, but at least occasionally.

Velaryon
2018-08-27, 07:54 AM
Doesn't Morgoth have a record of winning things? Sure, not always, but at least occasionally.

It's only been two years since the Cubs were world champions. And since then they've pretty much consistently been the better of the two Chicago teams (even if that says more about how bad the Sox are than it does about the Cubs).

Lacco
2018-08-27, 08:08 AM
No. Fantasy sports are the intersection between sports fans and competitive spreadsheets enthusiasts. Also sometimes gamblers.

Competitive spreadsheets enthusiasts....?

Scratch the "competitive" and I'm in! :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: I almost forgot. Also, I hate sports.

jwhouk
2018-08-27, 10:46 AM
You should see MY spreadsheets... except they're all hockey-related, and all about one team located in Middle Tennessee...

Knaight
2018-08-27, 11:24 AM
It's only been two years since the Cubs were world champions. And since then they've pretty much consistently been the better of the two Chicago teams (even if that says more about how bad the Sox are than it does about the Cubs).

Sure, and two years ago everyone was shocked about that championship. It was very much a fluke.

Jama7301
2018-08-27, 11:30 AM
As an unabashed homer, my allegiances lie with the Timberwolves in the NBA, and I keep light tabs on the Twins. How the Twins started ripping off wins and hitting a lot of homers after trading their best players is beyond me, but here we are.

Non-MN based team I support: Borussia Dortmund and Bayer Leverkusen in the Bundesliga. Don't know why I gravitated to the German soccer league over the more popular Premier League, but here we are.

Resileaf
2018-08-27, 12:07 PM
I've regained an interest in NHL hockey in the past year, although I have not the foggiest idea why. I root for the Montreal Canadians, as much as you can root for a team that doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

Peelee
2018-08-27, 03:31 PM
I've regained an interest in NHL hockey in the past year, although I have not the foggiest idea why. I root for the Montreal Canadians, as much as you can root for a team that doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

The biggest downside of the Deep South is no good local hockey teams, which I've enjoyed watching every so often. Also, on the rare occasion I need to express an opinion, I also go for the Canadiens, almost entirely because it's just fun to say.

MikelaC1
2018-08-27, 08:10 PM
Im an even rarer breed, RPG player, sports fan and female.
In hockey, its the Ottawa Senators and whoever is playing against the Maple Leafs
In football, its the Ottawa Redblacks (CFL) and whoever is playing against the Patriots,
In hoops, its the Toronto Raptors and whoever is playing against the Warriors

Yes...hate is an integral part of a sports fans diet

Peelee
2018-08-27, 08:41 PM
Montreal Canadiens

Ottawa Senators and Toronto Maple Leafs

That's another thing I love about hockey; the fierce mascots.

Scarlet Knight
2018-08-27, 09:49 PM
The biggest downside of the Deep South is no good local hockey teams, which I've enjoyed watching every so often. Also, on the rare occasion I need to express an opinion, I also go for the Canadiens, almost entirely because it's just fun to say.

A long time Devils fan, I firmly believed hockey should not be played in the south or anywhere that never gets ice. For most of my life, that opinion was justified.

Then I saw Nashville in the playoffs. I love those fans! I can't wait until the first catfish of the season is tossed!

Peelee
2018-08-27, 10:26 PM
A long time Devils fan, I firmly believed hockey should not be played in the south or anywhere that never gets ice. For most of my life, that opinion was justified.

Then I saw Nashville in the playoffs. I love those fans! I can't wait until the first catfish of the season is tossed!

Glad you came around, I'd hate to have to bust your chops on whether you believed it also shouldn't have been played indoors on manufactured ice.:smalltongue:

Delta
2018-08-28, 08:14 AM
Being German and being a soccer fan kind of comes with the territory, so there's that.

But honestly, I've been a huge fan of pretty much any kind of competitive sports, I'm one of those crazy people who can watch the Olympics for 12 hours a day and be interested in every single event. Friend of mine once joked that if they held televised "heads or tails" coinflip tournaments, I'd probably be watching that too.

But as a huge gaming nerd, the biggest "sports love" is actually american football. The combination of crazy physicality and tactical depth immediately hooked me once I watched my first Super Bowl around 20 years ago and never let go. And yes, I'm one of those filthy Patriots fans, but at least I can claim to have jumped aboard the Tom Brady bandwagon a couple hours before everyone else did back in the day.

Velaryon
2018-08-28, 01:37 PM
Sure, and two years ago everyone was shocked about that championship. It was very much a fluke.

The analogy doesn't need to be perfect anyway. My point is simply that they're an evil greater even than the Yankees and Red Sox. :smallbiggrin:

Resileaf
2018-08-28, 02:53 PM
That's another thing I love about hockey; the fierce mascots.

Youppi! is the best mascot in any sport, and I will fight anyone to prove it.

Peelee
2018-08-28, 03:04 PM
Youppi! is the best mascot in any sport, and I will fight anyone to prove it.

You'll have to fight the actual best mascot (https://www.google.com/search?biw=1443&bih=708&ei=f6qFW7i9PMz3zgKHkrCwBw&q=phillie+phanatic&oq=phillie+phanatic&gs_l=psy-ab.3...0.0.0.2932.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1..6 4.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.mH-jr1gISkU), then.

Resileaf
2018-08-28, 03:06 PM
You'll have to fight the actual best mascot (https://www.google.com/search?biw=1443&bih=708&ei=f6qFW7i9PMz3zgKHkrCwBw&q=phillie+phanatic&oq=phillie+phanatic&gs_l=psy-ab.3...0.0.0.2932.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1..6 4.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.mH-jr1gISkU), then.

There will be pistols drawn at dawn.

Peelee
2018-08-28, 03:16 PM
There will be pistols drawn at dawn.

You do not follow the Royal Code of Honor, good sir!

Resileaf
2018-08-28, 03:28 PM
You do not follow the Royal Code of Honor, good sir!

Rocket launchers at dawn?

Peelee
2018-08-28, 03:31 PM

Much better.

jwhouk
2018-08-28, 07:08 PM

Nashville says hi. :biggrin: It's not that far of a drive up I-65, you know.

Peelee
2018-08-28, 07:16 PM
Nashville says hi. :biggrin: It's not that far of a drive up I-65, you know.

It is when you factor in the construction for Corridor X (https://www.google.com/amp/s/articles.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/2016/04/completion_of_i-22_may_trigger.amp).

Scarlet Knight
2018-08-28, 07:26 PM

It doesn't matter who wins, my mascot will be there to ...um..."pick up" the loser.

http://wobm.com/files/2015/04/Devils-April-Fools.jpg?w=980&q=75

Lissou
2018-08-28, 10:18 PM
Anyone here a fan of the Portland Timbers and/or Thorns?

jwhouk
2018-08-29, 11:44 AM
I'm more a Phoenix Rising FC follower myself.

The Fury
2018-08-29, 02:54 PM

I'm a 107ist so I support both teams. I have the scarf collection and battle jacket and everything. Needless to say, I'm not too pleased about losing to Seattle. Losing is bad enough, but to Seattle? At a home match?

Uuughhh!

Jama7301
2018-08-29, 04:05 PM

No, because they wail on MN United.

Then again, so does everyone.

Lissou
2018-08-29, 04:51 PM
I'm a 107ist so I support both teams. I have the scarf collection and battle jacket and everything. Needless to say, I'm not too pleased about losing to Seattle. Losing is bad enough, but to Seattle? At a home match?

Uuughhh!

I know! I had high hopes, and I thought the game was going well, and then... Ugh. Stupid Sounders.

The Fury
2018-08-29, 06:48 PM
No, because they wail on MN United.

Then again, so does everyone.

On that note, I love when MN United is at Providence Park. Not because the Timbers are gonna win, (though they generally do...) But because Minnesota's supporters are usually super cool and fun to hang out with in the bar in the hours leading up to the match. Really, Minnesota supporters are like a more polite version of The Timbers Army. It's awesome!

I'm hoping that Minnesota will have a good season eventually though. Heck, Portland's having a rough season too, and unless they can pull things together they might not even make the playoffs.

I know! I had high hopes, and I thought the game was going well, and then... Ugh. Stupid Sounders.

And to add insult to injury, Seattle's also in the lead for The Cascadia Cup. Unless Vancouver does amazing in their next match, The Sounders might actually do it.

Jama7301
2018-08-29, 06:55 PM
On that note, I love when MN United is at Providence Park. Not because the Timbers are gonna win, (though they generally do...) But because Minnesota's supporters are usually super cool and fun to hang out with in the bar in the hours leading up to the match. Really, Minnesota supporters are like a more polite version of The Timbers Army. It's awesome!

I'm hoping that Minnesota will have a good season eventually though. Heck, Portland's having a rough season too, and unless they can pull things together they might not even make the playoffs.

I'd love to make it to a game once the Loons open up their new stadium, but being unable to drive puts a damper on it. I really should set up some alerts so I can keep better tabs on the team though. Glad to hear that the travelling supporters aren't a pain, haha.

Lissou
2018-08-29, 06:56 PM
I haven't been to any games in person for years (I used to back in France though) but hanging out with other teams' fans was always great when they were polite and friendly. I'll have to go to games again at some point, when I have more time and more importantly more money :)

The Fury
2018-08-29, 07:50 PM
I'd love to make it to a game once the Loons open up their new stadium, but being unable to drive puts a damper on it. I really should set up some alerts so I can keep better tabs on the team though. Glad to hear that the travelling supporters aren't a pain, haha.

No, not at all! They took the time to explain the symbolism behind Minnesota's badge, we joked around, had some beers, and it was great.

I seriously liked the Minnesota supporters so much I gave one a Portland flag patch as a souvenir.

I haven't been to any games in person for years (I used to back in France though) but hanging out with other teams' fans was always great when they were polite and friendly. I'll have to go to games again at some point, when I have more time and more importantly more money :)

Seeing a Timbers home match really is quite an experience. If you sit at the north end, you'll be with the Timbers Army and needless to say... it gets rowdy! Even if you don't sit with them, you can get a better look at their tifo display, which is always impressive. (The Bob Ross tifo is my favorite, though that one will be hard to top.)

Happily, Thorns matches have a similar environment.

Lissou
2018-08-29, 08:40 PM
Seeing a Timbers home match really is quite an experience. If you sit at the north end, you'll be with the Timbers Army and needless to say... it gets rowdy! Even if you don't sit with them, you can get a better look at their tifo display, which is always impressive. (The Bob Ross tifo is my favorite, though that one will be hard to top.)

Happily, Thorns matches have a similar environment.

Looking forward to it!

jwhouk
2018-08-30, 11:03 AM
Wild game in Cincinnati goes the Crew's way. Yelich with the cycle and Jesus Aguilar with the gamer in the 10th.

Tajerio
2018-09-01, 10:30 PM
I like to fuse the jargon of one with the other, particularly when talking about association football.

For example, I complained about Dele having taken Improved Pointless Flick at his last level-up, when watching Spurs recently. But then he rolled a nat 20 on a nutmeg, so I forgave him.

Peelee
2018-09-01, 10:30 PM
The thing about Arsenal is, they always try to walk it in.

Tajerio
2018-09-01, 10:46 PM
The thing about Arsenal is, they always try to walk it in.

The sad part is that the joke remained a completely accurate description of their style of play until the beginning of this season (well, it's also amusing, as Arsenal are Spurs' biggest rivals).

It's as if Wenger stubbornly insisted on playing a 2e druid while everyone around him updated to 3e, for TWELVE LONG YEARS.

jwhouk
2018-09-02, 12:58 PM
The alma mater won its season opener, 38-6, at Dubuque University. The Warhawks never trailed, mostly because Dubuque tried for the two-point conversion after scoring their lone TD in the 1st quarter, but the pass was dropped.

Alex Peete scored four of the TD's rushing, tying a UWW school record.

The run for their seventh DIII title continues next Saturday vs. Concordia of Moorehead.

Kyrell1978
2018-09-02, 01:01 PM
The alma mater won its season opener, 38-6, at Dubuque University. The Warhawks never trailed, mostly because Dubuque tried for the two-point conversion after scoring their lone TD in the 1st quarter, but the pass was dropped.

Alex Peete scored four of the TD's rushing, tying a UWW school record.

The run for their seventh DIII title continues next Saturday vs. Concordia of Moorehead.

Congrats. I too had a good day with Mizzou smashing their opponent mightily and as a bonus KU losing to Nicholls State or something. A school I'd never heard of anyway. :smallamused:

Scarlet Knight
2018-09-06, 09:54 PM
* Cue Evil Empire theme*

"Your pitiful Oakland A's will be crushed by the awesome firepower of a Yankee Death Star!"
"Um, Lord Vader, the Death Star blew up."
"BLEW UP! How?"
"A ball went down the ventilation shaft".
"Didn't you have it protected?"
"Yes, my Lord. Sanchez was there."
"AND?!"
"He missed it m'lord. Went right through his legs."
"Heads will role! Bring me General Girardi!"
"Um, you already force choked him, m'lord."
"I did? Why?"
"You said he was too hard on Sanchez."
"NOOOOOOOO!"
:smallfurious:

Delta
2018-09-07, 02:43 AM
Football! Woo!

That is all.

Samba Mentality
2018-09-07, 09:34 AM
Did anyone see that 45-13 CU victory over CSU? Or the 77-31 OSU win over the other OSU? (Oregon State) Blowout week!

Jama7301
2018-09-07, 06:59 PM
Hooray, I don't have to work overtime tomorrow, so I can actually get caught up on the Bayern and Dortmund matches I missed last weekend. If only my DVR had a 1.5x playback option... Or picture in picture.

Lissou
2018-09-08, 02:14 AM
Woot, Thorns! Thank you for avenging us! It hurts a bit less now.

jwhouk
2018-09-08, 04:31 PM
Warhawks won their home opener 24-6 over the "other" Concordia University. Wasn't close; UWW scored all 24 points in the first half. Alex Peete opened the scoring with a TD run in the 1st, and the Hawks never looked back. Peete finished the day with 107 yards rushing. QB Cole Wilber connected on a 50-yard TD with Mitchell Dess for Whitewater's second TD.

Next week is the last of the non-conference schedule, this time featuring a game against NAIA Middle Georgia State, before WIAC play begins in earnest.

jwhouk
2018-09-10, 02:25 PM
Something to ponder: 100 years ago, what we now consider the "Major Leagues" of pro sports only had 22 teams in 16 cities - five of those in Canada, five more hosting two or more teams, and only three of them west of the Mississippi River (and two of those just barely).

Delta
2018-09-10, 02:55 PM
Is there anything more Browns-like than when finally after almost two years they manage not to lose a game, they don't win it either?

Gnoman
2018-09-10, 03:39 PM
Is there anything more Browns-like than when finally after almost two years they manage not to lose a game, they don't win it either?

It gets better. This is the first time since 2004 that they failed to lose their opening game - but they still failed to win.

Bartmanhomer
2018-09-10, 09:33 PM
The World Series is coming and the Yankees will win this year World Series. :smile:

jwhouk
2018-09-11, 07:15 AM
Sh-sh-shudtup!

Resileaf
2018-09-11, 09:36 AM
In hockey news, Montreal has finally traded Pacioretty, apparently something he's been wanting for months. I can't say I'm surprised, and I'm cautiously happy about what we got in return. Maybe in two or three years, we'll see a successful revitalization for Montreal.

Bartmanhomer
2018-09-11, 10:21 AM
Sh-sh-shudtup!

Make me. :tongue:

jwhouk
2018-09-11, 11:55 AM
In hockey news, Montreal has finally traded Pacioretty, apparently something he's been wanting for months. I can't say I'm surprised, and I'm cautiously happy about what we got in return. Maybe in two or three years, we'll see a successful revitalization for Montreal.

NOW are you guys going to fire Marc Bergevin?

Resileaf
2018-09-11, 12:14 PM
NOW are you guys going to fire Marc Bergevin?

Eh, he'd need bad seasons over two or three years for Molson to consider it, I'd say.
I mean, it's not like I can personally go and fire him.

I think? Maybe I should go try.

Jama7301
2018-09-11, 02:50 PM
Man, watching Bayern Munich is like watching the Golden State Warriors. I can't help but laugh at how good their teams are and how they dominate their leagues. It's fun to watch Bayern as a casual fan, and it's tough to root against greatness in Golden State, even though I want the Wolves to actually do something in their stacked conference.

jwhouk
2018-09-15, 04:15 PM
Current Score at Perkins Stadium: UW-Whitewater 59, Middle Georgia State 0.

It was 56-0 at halftime.

EDIT: 73-0 final. UWW ends the non-conference part of the schedule at a perfect 3-0. Bye week, then into the WIAC schedule with UW-Lacrosse.

Gnoman
2018-09-18, 06:19 PM
I have to say, I am both pleased and quite surprised with the AFC North standings right now. Even if you'd convinced me that the standings would be 2-0. 1-1, 0-1-1, and 0-1-1 at Week 2, I'd never have believed that it would be Cincinnati, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and Cleveland matching up to those records.

Delta
2018-09-19, 03:37 AM
Honestly, I'm not that surprised. That division has lost a lot over the last couple seasons, both Ravens and Steelers haven't exactly looked great lately, and the Bengals have been a middle of the pack team that can shine over stretches of the regular season for quite a while now.

Jama7301
2018-09-19, 06:36 PM
Oh good... Jimmy Butler wants out of Minnesota. Great. Awesome. Excellent. Just what I wanted to see.

Time to prepare for even more Andrew Wiggins Empty Stats and a 32-50 season.

jwhouk
2018-09-19, 07:48 PM
I thought it was written in the NBA bylaws that the Minnesota Timberwolves weren't supposed to make it to the conference finals? :smallamused:

Scarlet Knight
2018-09-23, 08:03 PM
I bet on the Vikings against the Bills...at home... and LOST! I put the evil eye curse on the Vikings, the Twins, the Wild, the Timberwolves, the Golden Gophers! Everything Minnesota!

Delta
2018-09-24, 02:56 AM
God, I should be used to the Pats being completely sleepwalking through some of the earlier games of the season by now but that was painful to watch.

House Greyjoy
2018-09-24, 08:26 AM
NY Yankees
Green Bay Packers
Arsenal FC
Chase Elliott (NASCAR)
Collingwood Magpies
Leicester Tigers
Leeds Rhinos

jwhouk
2018-09-24, 01:08 PM
Either Clay Mathews has to be told not to tackle the QB, or the Packers are going to be in for a loooooong season.

Jama7301
2018-09-24, 06:50 PM
I'm starting to feel glad that I checked out of the NFL this season, with only passively taking in results. The Vikings getting stomped by Buffalo would have angered me greatly last year. Sunday, I was out taking a walk in the brisk weather and got some muffins. Then I laughed as I watched the result unfold on Twitter.

Delta
2018-09-26, 09:31 AM
Either Clay Mathews has to be told not to tackle the QB, or the Packers are going to be in for a loooooong season.

I mean, I tend to like everything that hurts the Packers on principle alone, but yeah, this is getting ridiculous.

"It's easy, you can't hit the quarterback high because then you're going for the head which is where the brain lives (who knew?) and concussions are a no-no" Okay, I can get behind that, then you just go lo-

"You can't hit the quarterback low, because then you're going for the knees which is where ACLs live (who knew?) and we can't have you hurting those either because no one's gonna watch our primetime game of the franchise QB is on the bench." Um... okay so I guess you just tackle him straight o-

"Oh, and you can't hit him in the middle either because that way, you're most likely to land with your full body weight on him, and he could get hurt that way too (who knew?), but other than that, but if you just abide by those three rules when tackling the QB you're completely fine!"

Hey, I get the protection from concussions, that's a good thing in my book, but at some point, just give the QB a red shirt and mark him down when he's touched if you're going to go that route.

Bartmanhomer
2018-09-26, 06:32 PM
LeBron James is getting old now. He's not as young as he used to be. As much as I like LeBron, he needs to retired. :frown:

Peelee
2018-09-26, 07:00 PM
LeBron James is getting old now. He's not as young as he used to be. As much as I like LeBron, he needs to retired. :frown:

Has he started to be more of a hindrance to his team than a help?

Bartmanhomer
2018-09-26, 07:06 PM
Has he started to be more of a hindrance to his team than a help?

Yes he lost multiple Championship games by the last few years.

Peelee
2018-09-26, 07:20 PM
Yes he lost multiple Championship games by the last few years.

I don't follow sports closely, so these are honest questions.

Was it he specifically who caused the losses? Does his team have worse players than him of the court with him? Did the other teams do a great job and earn their wins?

Even Michael Jordan and Babe Ruth lost games.

Bartmanhomer
2018-09-26, 07:22 PM

Was it he specifically who caused the losses? Does his team have worse players than him of the court with him? Did the other teams do a great job and earn their wins?

Well no. Yes and yes.

Peelee
2018-09-26, 07:36 PM
Well no. Yes and yes.

Is he still the best player on his team? If yes, then his age is still just a number for now. If no, then it sounds like he may be slowing down but is still adding a lot of value to his team. Do those sound like fair assessments?

Bartmanhomer
2018-09-26, 07:39 PM
Is he still the best player on his team? If yes, then his age is still just a number for now. If no, then it sounds like he may be slowing down but is still adding a lot of value to his team. Do those sound like fair assessments?

That's debatable but no. And yes it's a fair assessment.

Peelee
2018-09-26, 07:43 PM
To be fair, I'm also a bit biased here - I'm a huge fan of LeBron James for other reasons. But if dude wants to play ball and still is able to, I say let him play.

Bartmanhomer
2018-09-26, 07:46 PM
To be fair, I'm also a bit biased here - I'm a huge fan of LeBron James for other reasons. But if dude wants to play ball and still is able to, I say let him play.

Yes but sooner or later he bound to get tired eventually and he'll say "Yo, I'm getting to old for this. I'm retiring."

jwhouk
2018-09-26, 08:47 PM
I think the only thing LBJ wants is more rings than Michael. And he's gonna be waiting a long time for that, TBH.

Bartmanhomer
2018-09-26, 08:49 PM
I think the only thing LBJ wants is more rings than Michael. And he's gonna be waiting a long time for that, TBH.

Just how many rings does LeBron and Michael have anyway?

Peelee
2018-09-26, 09:32 PM
Just how many rings does LeBron and Michael have anyway?

Well that depends on how many times they married. :smalltongue:

jwhouk
2018-09-27, 07:20 PM
Jordan has six. James has three.

An Enemy Spy
2018-09-29, 02:48 AM

From all the basketball fans I know, Lebron was basically carrying the Cavs on his back. Meanwhile the Warriors are positively stacked so it's no surprise they won the Finals.

Tajerio
2018-09-29, 03:51 AM
From all the basketball fans I know, Lebron was basically carrying the Cavs on his back. Meanwhile the Warriors are positively stacked so it's no surprise they won the Finals.

Exactly. In these last Finals, the Cavs had LeBron and no other of the top 25 players in basketball--unless you want to count the Cavs version of Kevin Love, which I do not. The Warriors had two of the best five (Curry and Durant) and two more of the best 25 (Thompson and Green).

LeBron is still a wonderful player and still probably the best all-around player in basketball, if not the best full stop. Any talk of his retirement is incredibly premature.

Scarlet Knight
2018-09-29, 07:52 AM
I bet on the Vikings against the Bills...at home... and LOST! I put the evil eye curse on the Vikings, the Twins, the Wild, the Timberwolves, the Golden Gophers! Everything Minnesota!

Ha Ha Ha! Il Malocchio is working!

This is the old Wilt vs Russell battle. Yes Russell had the rings, but also played with a team of other Hall of Famers while Wilt looked like Atlas.

Ok we're nerds; if we cloned Lebron James and made him into a five man team, would he beat 5 Jordans? 5 Wilts? 5 Magics? Would any other great beat him?

Peelee
2018-09-29, 08:53 AM
Ha Ha Ha! Il Malocchio is working!

This is the old Wilt vs Russell battle. Yes Russell had the rings, but also played with a team of other Hall of Famers while Wilt looked like Atlas.

Ok we're nerds; if we cloned Lebron James and made him into a five man team, would he beat 5 Jordans? 5 Wilts? 5 Magics? Would any other great beat him?

Six Larry Birds.

Tajerio
2018-09-29, 03:42 PM

I think 5 LeBrons would handle any other team of 5 players except for 5 Jordans. That one would come down to whether the LeBrons could make their superior physicality and better court vision tell against the superior dribbling and quicker hands of the Jordans, which I suspect they would. The thing about LeBron that makes him perfect for the clone team is that he probably isn't the best historically at any one skill in the game viewed independently, but he's got almost all of those skills at an elite level (save his free-throw shooting, which is mediocre, and his three-point shooting, which is merely good). That versatility essentially magnifies the quality of all his skills, because opponents find it very hard to exploit a weakness or predict what he will do next. So if you multiply him by five, you have a team of generalists who can fill specialist roles at a very high level of competence, and will be able to pull off a lot of different combinations of play. If you multiply just about any other player by five, they'll struggle to fill all the roles needed and get enough variety in their approach.

On the rings debate, although it's unfair to LeBron the player, who's dragged several teams to the Finals that had no business being there, it may not be unfair to LeBron the person or LeBron the pseudo-GM. He's not a great influence on team chemistry, he's not been great about sharing the limelight or the load with younger players, he's pushed for his teams to sign buddies of his who aren't good enough, and he's held teams to ransom with short contracts and will-he-won't-he drama that make it hard to build a good long-term contender.

In case you can't tell, I find LeBron interesting :smallbiggrin:

jwhouk
2018-09-29, 11:09 PM
Tonight is the first time since I was in high school that the Milwaukee Brewers have been tied for first in their division.

jwhouk
2018-09-30, 10:49 AM
UWW is 4-0 to start the season! Downing their first WIAC opponent in 25th ranked UW-La Crosse, the Warhawks scored 27 unanswered points in a 30-7 win at UWLC.

Senior QB Cole Wilber threw for 244 yards and 3 touchdowns (all to three different receivers), while Soph RB Alex Peete ran for 102 yards and added a late TD to seal the deal.

The turning point in the game came in the fourth, when Junior DB Garrett Purdy intercepted Eagles' QB Ben Schramski on their first play from scrimmage after UWW had upped the score to 17-7.

Whitewater will continue the WIAC schedule by facing the always-tough (and 13th ranked) UW-Oshkosh at Perkins Stadium next Saturday.

jwhouk
2018-09-30, 07:32 PM
For the first time in MLB history, there will be two game 163 tiebreakers.

Colorado will host Los Angeles in the NL West Tiebreaker, while the Chicago Cubs will host the Milwaukee Brewers in the I-94 War NL Central Tiebreaker.

Delta
2018-10-01, 09:20 AM
In other news, the Patriots demolish a divisional opponent and the Browns find new and exciting ways to lose. Seems like the "Hey, let's do it a bit differently this year" experiment has only lasted for about 3 weeks.

Resileaf
2018-10-03, 10:26 AM
Today begins the NHL season! I have no idea what to expect of my Canadiens, but I hope that Kotkaniemi will make a good show and make games pleasant to watch even if we lose.

Tajerio
2018-10-03, 11:02 AM
Today begins the NHL season! I have no idea what to expect of my Canadiens, but I hope that Kotkaniemi will make a good show and make games pleasant to watch even if we lose.

I'll be happy just to get back to the playoffs.

jwhouk
2018-10-03, 09:29 PM
Hey, good luck with Shea as your captain up there. We'd really like it if you could make sure he's still playing for about (checks calendar) oh, maybe 2023 or so?

Resileaf
2018-10-04, 01:10 PM
First match was a good match, even if we lost. Entertaining from start to finish, and Price was pretty damn solid, saving the game at several junctions.

jwhouk
2018-10-04, 02:43 PM
Gameday. Preds at the Rags. May the best team to recently make the Stanley Cup Finals win. ;)

jwhouk
2018-10-05, 07:26 AM
Predators Win. Brewers Win. Good day all around.

jwhouk
2018-10-06, 09:47 PM
It wasn't the last one, was it? That was the one I went to. (And I got the A's hat to prove it.)

jwhouk
2018-10-07, 12:00 AM
UWW shut out the Titans, 20-0! Game was won on two long TD passes in the 2ND and 3rd quarters, while the D did the rest.

Kyrell1978
2018-10-07, 01:12 PM
Khabib "The Eagle" Nurmagomedov!!!!!!!!!!! Wow, that was a fight. Too bad for all the antics afterwards but hey, when you bring forty dudes and throw a dolly at his bus you got to expect something in return.

AMFV
2018-10-07, 02:46 PM
Khabib "The Eagle" Nurmagomedov!!!!!!!!!!! Wow, that was a fight. Too bad for all the antics afterwards but hey, when you bring forty dudes and throw a dolly at his bus you got to expect something in return.

They should definitely make the "posse battle royale" a part of the fight card now. To win the match you have to win both.

Kyrell1978
2018-10-07, 03:17 PM
They should definitely make the "posse battle royale" a part of the fight card now. To win the match you have to win both.

Lol. Well......they did. But seriously, not a fan of that extra bs, but it's not like he wasn't super provoked. I can give him more of a pass on this than I can Connor for all the bs he brought to Brooklyn over what amounted to a heated conversation.

Liquor Box
2018-10-07, 08:02 PM

The fans surely got more than their money's worth.

jwhouk
2018-10-07, 08:07 PM
GO BREWERS GO!

For the third time in franchise history, the Brewers are heading to the League Championship Series!

Delta
2018-10-08, 05:31 PM
The fans surely got more than their money's worth.

It's kind of funny when a legit combat sports event manages to look more like a chaotic drama circus than the WWE show on the same weekend.

jwhouk
2018-10-16, 01:34 PM
All I have to say is:

#BeatLA

Jama7301
2018-10-23, 06:21 PM
Heck yeah, the NBA is back.
Heck no, the Timberwolves are a tire fire due to the whole Jimmy Butler trade drama and practice and shenanigans...

Scarlet Knight
2018-10-24, 07:08 AM
#$%& ing Red Sox...

Delta
2018-10-24, 09:41 AM
Apparently not a lot of NFL fans here?

http://walterfootball.com/images/belichicksith2.jpg

jwhouk
2018-10-24, 01:44 PM
Oh, I'm an NFL fan. I just prefer to focus on one of the 32 teams.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/50/Green_Bay_Packers_logo.svg/1000px-Green_Bay_Packers_logo.svg.png

Bartmanhomer
2018-10-24, 04:10 PM
I'm a Giants fan. :smile:

jwhouk
2018-10-24, 09:20 PM
I'm a Giants fan. :smile:

My condolences.

That applies if you live on either coast, by the way.

Scarlet Knight
2018-10-25, 05:43 AM
Not appreciating "THE GREATEST SHOW ON TURF!" ?

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMIeILxCwhVmmF_RWbM9rd7ya660uPC uZ1ETPkdmWlUyjbHpqsjA

Delta
2018-10-25, 08:09 AM
To be honest, I could hardly think of a better bookend to Brady's career than to beat the Rams for his sixth ring and ride off into the sunset afterwards.

Bartmanhomer
2018-10-25, 08:05 PM
LeBron James is one of the best basketball players in NBA history. :tongue:

Ruffbassn
2018-10-25, 08:07 PM
Go seahawks!!

Scarlet Knight
2018-10-25, 08:17 PM
To be honest, I could hardly think of a better bookend to Brady's career than to beat the Rams for his sixth ring and ride off into the sunset afterwards.

Humbug, sir! There is no Adam Vinatieri to pull the Patriot's fat out of the fire this time! Mark me well, this year, there will be a reckoning!

Delta
2018-10-26, 03:16 AM
Mark me well, this year, there will be a reckoning!

Until Gronk sees the reckoning and runs over it for the deciding touchdown? So basically, a Gronkening?

jwhouk
2018-10-26, 11:23 AM
Sorry Pats fans, rules are rules. You either get a Sawx World Series title or a Pats Super Bowl.

AMFV
2018-10-26, 12:50 PM
Sorry Pats fans, rules are rules. You either get a Sawx World Series title or a Pats Super Bowl.

Hey there's a Cubs world series victory in the past hundred years now, all the rules are off, up is down and black is white.

Tajerio
2018-10-26, 01:07 PM

I'll take all the World Series you can give me. I grew up in Massachusetts, but I've always despised the Patriots.

Delta
2018-10-26, 07:13 PM

So you trust on the Pats playing by the rules?

An Enemy Spy
2018-10-26, 07:59 PM
Not appreciating "THE GREATEST SHOW ON TURF!" ?

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMIeILxCwhVmmF_RWbM9rd7ya660uPC uZ1ETPkdmWlUyjbHpqsjA

I hate the Rams so much I'll root for the Patriots over them. The Patriots!

Scarlet Knight
2018-10-27, 08:07 AM
I hate the Rams so much I'll root for the Patriots over them. The Patriots!

Well, in over 50 years of following the Rams, I never saw anyone who hated them. They're no -ones rivals. They don't win like the Cowboys or lose like the Browns. Their fans don't travel like the Raiders...AH! You hate the owner! You're from St. Louis, I bet! Well, then I don't blame you; I was pi$$ed about the team's extortion treatment too.

An Enemy Spy
2018-10-28, 02:06 PM
Well, in over 50 years of following the Rams, I never saw anyone who hated them. They're no -ones rivals. They don't win like the Cowbay or lose like the Browns. Their fans don't travel like the Raiders...AH! You hate the owner! You're from St. Louis, I bet! Well, then I don't blame you; I was pi$$ed about the team's extortion treatment too.

No, I'm a Seahawks fan, and Rams games are always the worst to sit through, especially in the Jeff Fisher days when Gregg "Bountygate" Williams was the defensive coordinator and their players were always taking cheap shots at our guys. Like one game in 2013 where they didn't seem like they were even trying to win, they just wanted to injure Golden Tate to get revenge on him taunting them earlier in the season and as the game went on they just committed foul after foul because they were angry and had no discipline.

jwhouk
2018-10-28, 08:00 PM
What a way to lose a football game. They showed Aaron literally throwing the towel after the first down.

jwhouk
2018-10-29, 07:42 AM
The Greater Los Angeles area had a rather interesting day on Sunday (Oct. 28).

The city saw SIX different home teams hosting games in five different major league sports, in five different venues.

The final results from all six games:

Kings 4, Rangers 3 (Staples Center)
Sharks 4, Ducks 3 (Honda Center)

Rams 29, Packers 27 (LA Coliseum)

Red Sox 5, Dodgers 1 (Dodger Stadium - Game 5 of the World Series)

Clippers 136, Wizards 104 (Staples Center)

Dynamo 3, Galaxy 2 (StubHub Center)

Only four local teams didn't play at home Sunday: LAFC was in Kansas City (Sporting KC won, 2-1); the Angels had already been eliminated from the MLB playoffs, and the Lakers and Chargers were off. Two of the teams (LAFC and the Chargers) could not have played because of their shared venue of the StubHub Center; and there'd have been no way a tripleheader could have been played at Staples to host the Lakers.

Scarlet Knight
2018-10-30, 08:16 PM
No, I'm a Seahawks fan, and Rams games are always the worst to sit through, especially in the Jeff Fisher days when Gregg "Bountygate" Williams was the defensive coordinator and their players were always taking cheap shots at our guys. Like one game in 2013 where they didn't seem like they were even trying to win, they just wanted to injure Golden Tate to get revenge on him taunting them earlier in the season and as the game went on they just committed foul after foul because they were angry and had no discipline.

Well to be fair, he DID taunt them. A bounty is to be expected. But you are right, they lacked the dicipline back then to hunt him within accepted practice.

Resileaf
2018-11-02, 12:54 PM
First goals for Kotkaniemi, and pretty big ones too! Man, Bell Center was loud in that game.

Scarlet Knight
2018-11-06, 07:15 PM
Great hockey story as the Devils beat the Penguins, because a year after he was diagnosed with leukemia, Brian Boyle recorded the first hat trick of his career Monday on what just so happened to be "Hockey Fights Cancer night" in the NHL.

While Boyle is in remission, sadly with cancer, you always have to add the words "for now".

Blackfang108
2018-11-14, 03:11 PM
So you trust on the Pats playing by the rules?

That's a really good point.

I mean, I know my team isn't winning it all this year, but they're doing way better than they have any right to.

Mostly because of Khalil Mack, I believe.

jwhouk
2018-11-17, 10:24 PM
That's one win. Whitewater 67, Eureka 14 in the opening round of the NCAA Division III playoffs. Next week is a big intra-state game against St. Norbert's College of DePere (thankfully it's not ice hockey).

Samba Mentality
2018-11-27, 10:34 AM
This is a little off topic from the LA Rams, but did anybody see that LSU-Texas A&M game on Saturday-Sunday? That’s right, it went into Sunday. A 5 hour, 7 OT, 72-74 win over the #7 LSU Tigers. And how about that game saving ref call that A&M’s QB was down before he threw what would have been the game-ending pic? And LSU’s head coach got the Gatorade bath! A&M advanced the ball until there was 1 second left, and with no timeouts, barely got a spike off before the clock ran out. With 1 play left, A&M managed to score a touchdown and an extra point to put the game into OT. What followed, a series of miraculous catches and game saving hits and misses, extended the score to 72-72, when A&M scored the 2 point conversion to finally topple the Tigers.

I watched this game in Talbotton, Georgia, with a couple drunk relatives who, throughout the game, made ridiculous Ed Orgeron impressions and talked about how much this game affected the Georgia Bulldogs’ playoff prospects. (Hint: It didn’t!)

https://cdn-s3.si.com/s3fs-public/2017/05/10/lsu-football-ed-orgeron-monster-energy-drink.jpg

jwhouk
2018-11-27, 02:21 PM
Oh, forgot to post: we beat St. Norbert. Handily. 54-21 handily. Since I first matriculated at UW-W, we have never lost to St. Norbert in six tries. The average margin of victory was 36 points.

Anyways, On to Bethel College of Minnesota for the Quarterfinals.

jwhouk
2018-12-09, 09:09 PM
The run is over. Mary Hardin-Baylor defeated the Whitewater Warhawks, 31-14, in the D3 Football semis.

MHB now goes on to play the Other Purple Team (aka the Mount Union Purple Raiders) in the Stagg Bowl.

Scarlet Knight
2018-12-10, 09:33 PM
Anyone watch the end to the crazy Patriots-Dolphins game?

jwhouk
2018-12-14, 11:29 AM
I have seen the replay.

Ohmigod.

That was "once in a century" kind of stuff right there. All you needed was for the band to come charging onto the field and the returner running into a tuba player.

Kyrell1978
2018-12-16, 04:25 PM
Anyone watch the Iaquinta/Lee fight? Pretty good one there and nice and respectful ending. No posse brawl.

Scarlet Knight
2019-01-01, 08:11 PM
Ok sports fans; a philosophical question.

I just watched Alabama crush another opponent. It is the premier college sports program in the country. Year after year Alabama rakes in money for the University & the state. Yet, Alabama as a state is about 47th in the country in education.

Coach Saban makes $11 MILLION dollars each year and has several assistants making over a million.

Would the people of the state be better served by putting that public money into labs or for other academic purposes rather than football?

Peelee
2019-01-01, 08:51 PM

I just watched Alabama crush another opponent. It is the premier college sports program in the country. Year after year Alabama rakes in money for the University & the state. Yet, Alabama as a state is about 47th in the country in education.

Coach Saban makes $11 MILLION dollars each year and has several assistants making over a million.

Would the people of the state be better served by putting that public money into labs or for other academic purposes rather than football?

I cannot answer this without getting political.

Erloas
2019-01-01, 11:13 PM
Without going into the political side of things. Yes, but not fully. A lot of that money comes from being really good and selling tickets, merchandising, advertising, etc. So if they really compromised the football program a lot of that money would go away. There is probably a lot of money that could be moved away from salaries and into improving the school in other ways that wouldn't really hurt the program. How much is unknown, but you can be pretty well assured that many of the coaches are making a lot because the system is good and they're a part of it, rather than each individual coach is vital to the system.

Knaight
2019-01-02, 12:29 AM

Maybe - but it's worth noting that it's not colleges where Alabama is 47th, but the public school K-12 system (and 48th-50th are all in pretty pathetic shape, between Mississippi being, well, Mississippi and New Mexico managing to screw things up in spectacular ways every so often and take 49th).

This is a public school funding problem, and a messy one - that much can be acknowledged without getting into politics. I have all sorts of opinions on potential fixes I'd love to expound on, but there's no dancing the politics line on that one, just plowing right through it.

AMFV
2019-01-02, 07:21 AM

Without going into politics I can say this. Pumping money into education does not always improve education, and often not in the ways that you would except. There are very few problems that can be solved by setting money on fire, so I would be be very wary of anybody suggesting that "more money" is going to magically solve this problem (or any other similarly complex problem).

Scarlet Knight
2019-01-03, 11:46 PM
Money alone cannot solve every problem, however money is almost always a needed tool to solve problems.

Let me reword the question to avoid politics.

My alma mater, Rutgers, will be getting Big 10 money in 2020.

Since most college sports programs lose money, my fear is that we will spend all that money to compete with the football factories like Ohio State and Michigan, and then have to pull even more money away from other departments, just to fund the losing football team. Our coach, who is not very good, is already the highest paid state employee at several million a year.

Rutgers has played losing football for over a hundred years. I figure we can lose within a budget rather than lose both on the field and economically.

Help me see some silver lining.

ForzaFiori
2019-01-05, 11:37 AM
well, here's a possible silver lining from my Alma Mater. When my mom was growing up, Clemson University was unknown outside of the SE. It was a small regional school, and had about 10,000 students. In 1981, Clemson wins the National Championship in football for the first time. For the first time ever, Clemson was suddenly a name everyone had heard of. In less than a decade enrollment went up 50%, and has continued climbing. Winning that championship turned the university from a regionally known school to one that pulls students from every state and like 40 nations. Nowadays Clemson has over 20,000 students, and the extra money from those students has gone into new buildings and programs. Heck, alot of Clemson's football is paid for by itself or by IPTAY (the booster club for Clemson).

Or, to put it another way, Who knew who Appalachian State was before they beat Michigan in 2007? For a school that doesn't have the academic reputation of places like Ivy Leagues, Cal Tech, Georgia Tech, etc, football is a way to get your programs name out there, and get people wanting to come to the school.

Also, if it weren't for Clemson Fooball, no one would beat Alabama :smalltongue:

Peelee
2019-01-05, 11:42 AM
well, here's a possible silver lining from my Alma Mater. When my mom was growing up, Clemson University was unknown outside of the SE.

Speaking as someone in the SE, who is Clemson? Yeah, I'm back baby! Sending everyone I can to the burn unit.

ForzaFiori
2019-01-06, 07:03 PM
If you have any friends in Tuscaloosa, I'm pretty sure they've heard of us :smalltongue: It's like the Auburn of South Carolina. It's the "other" major state university beside the one named after the state. It's more STEM focused than liberal arts, but was formerly an ag/mech school, and prior to that a military college.

On the sports front, it's the only football team in the country that has the ability to beat Bama.

Scarlet Knight
2019-01-08, 09:35 PM
Congratulations, Clemson! Well played!

Peelee
2019-01-16, 12:16 AM
If you have any friends in Tuscaloosa, I'm pretty sure they've heard of us :smalltongue:

A.) I avoid Tuscaloosa like the plague. It's bad enough when there's no football games on.
2.) On the bright side, I no longer joke about not knowing who Clemson is, they certainly got pretty famous. Ya know, beating Bama and all. :smalltongue:

Sobol
2019-01-18, 04:12 AM
I'm a chess fan and have a crush on Magnus Carlsen.

Also, I hate sports I like lifting heavy things.

Scarlet Knight
2019-01-19, 05:57 PM
I'm a chess fan and have a crush on Magnus Carlsen.

Also, I hate sports I like lifting heavy things.

It sounds like you would like boxing-chess.

Sobol
2019-01-20, 03:20 AM
It sounds like you would like boxing-chess.
I know about it, but hitting people isn't my thing. Wrestling is much better.

jwhouk
2019-01-20, 06:46 PM
Rams win it in OT. I think their kicker rolled a natural 20 on that winning FG.

Scarlet Knight
2019-01-20, 10:43 PM
Woooo! Rams in the Super Bowl!

Revenge for 2002! Punishment for Belicheat!

Scarlet Knight
2019-02-01, 09:25 PM
Ok guys , big day sunday. Who's visiting, who's hosting, and what are your traditions.

Me, I usually just watch with my immediate family, a habit created from working too many years on Sundays, eating junk that I know is bad for my and washing it down with stuff that's bad for me.

Well, bad for my body but good for my soul....

ForzaFiori
2019-02-02, 01:30 PM
I'm actually going to be away from all the traditions this year. It's the super bowl since I moved away from home, and I have too much going on to go home. I guess this is how new traditions get made lol.

Also, Ram's fans, I'm very upset with your team for forcing me to choose between pulling for a team that regularly cheats subtly, and one that had refs blatantly try to hand them a game.

Scarlet Knight
2019-02-02, 01:43 PM
Good sir! Despite the questionble call, the team from New Orleans had the lead.

All they had to do was stop the Rams from tying the game. Or failing that, score when they got the ball first in overtime.

The fact that a Ram intercepted the ball while lying flat on his back proves that the Lord Almighty wanted them to win.

And who am I to argue?

Oh by the way, here is a joke that was not appreciated in another thread...

Drew Brees, Russell Wilson, and Tom Brady walk into a bar. After a few rounds, Brees gets up and says: "I'd better get home and get some rest. Gotta take care of the Moneymaker" and he pats his arm. Russell gets up and says "I better go too. My Money Maker needs care" and he pats his legs. Brady get up and says "I'd better go home and take care of my Money Maker". Brees asks "What Money maker? Your memory?" Brady pats his groin and says "Giselle".

Erloas
2019-02-02, 10:25 PM
Once against I'm going for "Not the Patriots" which is my picked at the start of every year.

Given that I don't actually have any way to watch the game, I'm not going to watch it. But even if I did, I just don't think I could bring myself to care about another Super Bowl with the Patriots enough to give it the 4 hours.

I'm not the only one, read an article that even in Boston there isn't a lot of celebration or fanfare going on about it.

Kyrell1978
2019-02-04, 12:52 AM
Wow. So, I just checked the score after game night (Pathfinder currently) and I'm super glad I missed that game.

Gnoman
2019-02-04, 01:21 AM
It is the type of game that I would have enjoyed with other teams. Since I despise the Patriots, I didn't even bother with it.

Persant Lamorak
2019-02-04, 07:25 AM
I watched the game at a friend's house last night. I'm glad it was a competitive game and not a blowout even if it was low scoring.

Bartmanhomer
2019-02-04, 08:38 AM
That Super Bowl from last night was very embarrassing. My older brother and I watch the whole game and we were upset that the LA Rams didn't win last night. :mad:

Iruka
2019-02-04, 09:35 AM
I have to admit, what upset me the most is that they did not actually play 'Sweet Victory' during the show.

jwhouk
2019-02-04, 07:54 PM
I watched the game at a friend's house last night. I'm glad it was a competitive game and not a blowout even if it was low scoring.

For varying values of "competitive." The Patriots owned the first half, but couldn't get out of their own way. The Rams struggled just to tie the game, but the Pats scored the only TD to basically seal the game.

That has to be, in the some 42-odd times I've watched the Super Bowl, one of the worst games on both sides of the ball ever.

Peelee
2019-02-04, 07:57 PM
I heard a quality joke on why the game was so bad, but it's not repeatable here.

Scarlet Knight
2019-02-06, 07:19 PM
Ooooh my head hurts. I feel like something died in my mouth. What day is it? I started drinking Sunday night & I guess I never stopped...

Persant Lamorak
2019-02-06, 08:52 PM
For varying values of "competitive." The Patriots owned the first half, but couldn't get out of their own way. The Rams struggled just to tie the game, but the Pats scored the only TD to basically seal the game.

That has to be, in the some 42-odd times I've watched the Super Bowl, one of the worst games on both sides of the ball ever.

I say it was competitive as for most of the game one big play could have led either team to victory. Even though the Patriots defense dominated the Rams offence, an interception return for a touchdown or a spectacular kickoff return could have turned the tide for the Rams.

Scarlet Knight
2019-02-11, 10:51 PM
The following is a rant against stupidity. It is not intended to mock the disabled. Read at you own risk.

"Heeding the words of disability rights advocates, Major League Baseball renamed the roster designation for players recovering from injury. Formerly known as the disabled list, MLB will now call it the injured list, the league confirmed this week.

'The principal concern is that using the term ‘disabled’ for players who are injured supports the misconception that people with disabilities are injured and therefore are not able to participate or compete in sports,' Jeff Pfeifer, MLB’s senior director of league economics and operations."

This drives me crazy! Reading this I can understand how so much of America hates Liberals. What are we stupid? For over a hundred years we used disabled and only the most idiotic morons on this green planet would confuse "injured" & "disabled". Fans who speak of a DL also know the stories of Dummy Hoy, Pete Gray, Three Finger Brown and Jim Abbott! While words matter, people know that Jim Abbott is always disabled but only goes on the DL when he's injured!

Disability rights advocates wasted everyones time with this. The Times just had an article on the problems of access for the disabled. But this is what they worked on? We went from cripple to disabled to special, and did it change anything? No. Way to go, Baseball! Screw fixing PEDS! Forget price gouging! Forget stopping players from delaying the games due their velcro EVERYTHING! Lets fix the name of the DL! And MLB wonders why they lose fans.

Peelee
2019-02-11, 11:21 PM
Disability rights advocates wasted everyones time with this

Who's time did disability rights advocates waste other than their own? My time certainly wasn't wasted. Hell, I'd bet five bucks you wasted more of your own time writing that than reading about it. For the vast majority of people (and I really, truly mean vast here. Let's be generous and say a thousand people in MLB weighed in on this. That's 0.0003% of the population), it wasted a negligible amount of time, if not absolutely zero time. This is easily the pettiest, most ridiculous complaint I've heard in a long time.

Iruka
2019-02-12, 07:02 AM
I like that change, because it makes it more precise. Those players are injured, not disabled in the way the word is currently usually used.

I do agree however that this is the kind of easy change big companies like to make for brownie points while leaving other stuff unadressed. The reason being that other stuff makes money for them or makes money for people they do not want to anger.

MikelaC1
2019-02-12, 08:37 AM

The Alabama football program makes money. Over and above what is spent on them. In fact, the football program brings in enough money to fund ALL of their other sports programs, male and female, and some other university projects. Whatever they spend on football, they make back. So technically, there is no public money being spent on them or rather, everything they spend comes back.

Peelee
2019-02-12, 09:42 AM
The Alabama football program makes money.

Yeah, I'm gonna need sources on that. College sports are famously unprofitable for the vast majority of schools.

ETA: Just thought it might be considered gauche if I didn't hold myself to that same standard, so literally the second hit under the Google search, "does college football make money: : short answer, no (https://www.acenet.edu/news-room/Pages/Myth-College-Sports-Are-a-Cash-Cow2.aspx). Second hit because it seemed like a much more reputable source; fun fact, the first hit also said no.

Kyrell1978
2019-02-12, 09:50 AM
Yeah, I'm gonna need sources on that. College sports are famously unprofitable for the vast majority of schools.

ETA: Just thought it might be considered gauche if I didn't hold myself to that same standard, so literally the second hit under the Google search, "does college football make money: : short answer, no (https://www.acenet.edu/news-room/Pages/Myth-College-Sports-Are-a-Cash-Cow2.aspx). Second hit because it seemed like a much more reputable source; fun fact, the first hit also said no.

https://money.cnn.com/2017/01/09/news/alabama-clemson-championship-revenue/index.html

47 Million in profit in 2016 to boil down the article. That's self reporting, also your source is talking about the entirety of the athletics program not a specific program. They use the profitable ones (like football) to cover the expenses of the non profitable ones.

Peelee
2019-02-12, 09:55 AM
https://money.cnn.com/2017/01/09/news/alabama-clemson-championship-revenue/index.html

47 Million in profit in 2016 to boil down the article. That's self reporting also.

Just because Warren Buffet lives in America doesn't mean the average American isn't in debt. That article I linked explicitly said that in the four year span it looked at, only 7 public colleges broke even or greater. How many college football teams are there?

Kyrell1978
2019-02-12, 10:12 AM
Just because Warren Buffet lives in America doesn't mean the average American isn't in debt. That article I linked explicitly said that in the four year span it looked at, only 7 public colleges broke even or greater. How many college football teams are there?

And the original quote was that "Alabama Football makes money" you asked for a source, I provided one. They self report making a 47 million dollar profit in 2016. Your linked source was not about the original topic, it was about college athletic programs as a whole, not football programs. Even your source states that high level college football programs make a profit that is used to fund the other non profitable sports. I don't really care one way or another, but the fact is the Alabama Football Program is a profitable program and that is what was originally in debate.

Peelee
2019-02-12, 10:15 AM
And the original quote was that "Alabama Football makes money"

Unsurprisingly, this whole thing is a case of me not being a smart man. I read that as "American football," not "Alabama football." That's totally on me. Sorry!

Kyrell1978
2019-02-12, 10:19 AM
Unsurprisingly, this whole thing is a case of me not being a smart man. I read that as "American football," not "Alabama football." That's totally on me. Sorry!

You're good. We still love you. :smallbiggrin:

Iruka
2019-02-12, 11:29 AM
Everyone loves Pele!

I recently read this (https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2019/02/rural-high-school-football/581782/) piece on the declining popularity of high-school football where it was claimed that this also can bring with it monetary issues for the schools. I assume this is very much a case-by-case thing ...

For the schools, too, the loss of games came at a cost, given that ticket sales can help fund athletics and other school programs. In Bunker Hill, for example, a typical home game would bring in $1,500 for the school, the principal, Matthew Smith, told me, with concession sales netting an additional $1,500.

I watched some of the current skiing events in the last days, which led to some musing about the external factors in sports. We often talk about people in individual sports disciplines in abstract terms of being best or fastest but very often results are influenced by other things. Especially those where you go through a course in a group (like most cross-country skiing or long-distance running events) your ability to move fast is only one of the things "measured". You also need to navigate to a good position in the group and react quickly to things like others stumbling.
In winter sports the technological prowess of the team and the usual degradation of track conditions over the course of the event seem to be major influencing factors.

Peelee
2019-02-12, 11:37 AM
Everyone loves Pele!

Peele is also pretty popular.

Iruka
2019-02-12, 11:54 AM
Peele is also pretty popular.

What about Pelee?

Peelee
2019-02-12, 11:55 AM
What about Pelee?

Never been.

Scarlet Knight
2019-02-12, 12:19 PM
Yes, there are a handful of college sports programs that are profitable. My Alma Mater wants to be one. They are asking me for donations for the weight room now instead of for the science programs like they did in the past.

My fear is that colleges like Clemson that eventually become profitable are like sirens to other colleges; similar to garage bands that think they can make it big because the Ramones did. It's possible but for every one that does there are 50 that don't. I just hope the decision makers at Rutgers ask the heads of the economic & mathematic departments for input and not just marketing.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/de79bd01548c8de1eb8323e2b6124eb1/tumblr_mghxwturBP1rrnekqo1_1280.jpg

Knaight
2019-02-12, 06:48 PM

Alabama being an exception has already been covered, but it's worth noting that college sports also have a tendency to disappear certain expenses in their accounting. For instance CSU put a handful of classrooms in their stadium, which made it an "academic building", which lets them not count certain expenses in construction and maintenance. Granted, this is the same college working on the economic reasoning of "a better stadium will attract better players which will mean we get vastly more money from the student base", which didn't happen. Similarly "this won't raise tuitions" translated to "because we consider 'student fees' a different category, and oh look, they went up".

Scarlet Knight
2019-03-13, 06:18 PM
Oh the irony!

We are so used to college coaches giving money to kids who are great athletes to pretend to be students that it's a shock that the latest scandal has parents giving money to college coaches for kids to be students by pretending to be athletes!

Peelee
2019-03-13, 07:59 PM
Oh the irony!

We are so used to college coaches giving money to kids who are great athletes to pretend to be students that it's a shock that the latest scandal has parents giving money to college coaches for kids to be students by pretending to be athletes!

If there's one thing Yale is known for, it's their football team.

The Aboleth
2019-03-21, 12:00 PM
I'm in Denver this week to watch the Blackhawks beat the Avalanche. Chicago has an outside shot to make the final Wild Card spot, but we need a lot of help and NEED to beat Colorado and Arizona to have any hope.

Also, Denver is amazing so even if my favorite NHL team loses I can still drink great craft beer and hike up in the mountains. If I were rich I might move here permanently.

Knaight
2019-03-22, 10:01 AM
Also, Denver is amazing so even if my favorite NHL team loses I can still drink great craft beer and hike up in the mountains. If I were rich I might move here permanently.

There's some significantly cheaper towns near Denver that still have great craft beer and good mountain access. The latter is often better than Denver, even.

The Aboleth
2019-03-22, 01:03 PM
There's some significantly cheaper towns near Denver that still have great craft beer and good mountain access. The latter is often better than Denver, even.

Do you have any specific recommendations? A few years ago I went up to Blackhawk casino and the surrounding mountains, and it was amazing (despite losing $100 at the casino, but them's the breaks).

Also, the Blackhawks (NHL team, not the casino) lost to the Flyers last night. Pretty much need to win out now to have any shot at the Wild Card. Oh well, there's always next year!

Knaight
2019-03-22, 01:58 PM
Longmont is an option. There's always Loveland, for all the crap I give that city. There's Windsor, though it has much the same issues as Loveland. Then there's somewhat more expensive but not Denver expensive areas, e.g. Fort Collins, Thornton, Arvada. Just don't go too far into the mountains, or you start running into places like Vail which make Denver look cheap by comparison.

The Aboleth
2019-03-23, 08:07 PM
Longmont is an option. There's always Loveland, for all the crap I give that city. There's Windsor, though it has much the same issues as Loveland. Then there's somewhat more expensive but not Denver expensive areas, e.g. Fort Collins, Thornton, Arvada. Just don't go too far into the mountains, or you start running into places like Vail which make Denver look cheap by comparison.

Thank you!

Also, the Blackhawks lost again. Boooo!

Scarlet Knight
2019-03-28, 05:32 AM
Plaaaaay baaaaaaaaaaaall!

Kyrell1978
2019-03-28, 10:25 PM
Annnnnnnd the Royals are officially 1st in the AL central. :smallbiggrin: Might be the last time I can say that this year.

woodwalker
2019-03-29, 01:42 PM
Annnnnnnd the Royals are officially 1st in the AL central. :smallbiggrin: Might be the last time I can say that this year.

Hey man, I'm a Sabres fan. We were first in the league in November. Its all up hill from here!

please don't look at the NHL standings right now thank you.

Delta
2019-03-30, 06:54 AM

Come to Southern Germany, we have great beer (craft and non-craft) and either the Black Forest or the Alps are pretty much around the corner! The city I live in (Freiburg) even has a hockey and american football team! ;)

Scarlet Knight
2019-03-31, 06:45 AM
I went to the Devils - Blues game last night. It was a well paced,competitive, horribly played game.

Best example: Devils goalie throws the puck from behind the net in front to a wide open, undefended Blue...who promptly misses the entire net.

It went into overtime...and the Devils lost with 3 seconds to go.

Thank the powers for baseball.

jwhouk
2019-04-05, 08:41 PM
Can someone ask Durkon if I can borrow Thor's Hammer against Tom Dundon?

Resileaf
2019-04-17, 08:44 AM
The Tampa Bay Lightning, after having a historical season, completely collapsed in the playoffs and got sweeped by the Colombus Blue Jackets. That's probably the biggest choke I've ever seen in a playoff series.

MikelaC1
2019-04-17, 10:59 AM
The Tampa Bay Lightning, after having a historical season, completely collapsed in the playoffs and got sweeped by the Colombus Blue Jackets. That's probably the biggest choke I've ever seen in a playoff series.

Ha, ha, ha...still think you were so smart not to push all your chips into the table and make the deal for Karlsson?

Resileaf
2019-04-17, 01:52 PM
Ha, ha, ha...still think you were so smart not to push all your chips into the table and make the deal for Karlsson?

I assume that's a 'Lightning' you and not a 'me' you. Because otherwise that's a really weird thing to say to me. XD

Scarlet Knight
2019-04-19, 08:25 PM
I'm watching the Yankees-Royals game, and right there behind home plate, is Marlins Man. I detest that guy. I actually have to change my focus to avoid seeing him in order to enjoy the game.

Does anyone else have similar feelings or am I making a mountain out of a mole hole? Does anyone else even know who I'm talking about?

Peelee
2019-04-19, 09:19 PM
I'm watching the Yankees-Royals game, and right there behind home plate, is Marlins Man. I detest that guy. I actually have to change my focus to avoid seeing him in order to enjoy the game.

Does anyone else have similar feelings or am I making a mountain out of a mole hole? Does anyone else even know who I'm talking about?

I have no idea who you're talking about, but I do know what your taking about, and I absolutely understand and commiserate.

Wizard_Lizard
2019-04-21, 12:54 PM
Well I like chess... ...does that count?

Scarlet Knight
2019-04-21, 05:15 PM
Well I like chess... ...does that count?

Only if it's boxing-chess.

Knaight
2019-04-21, 05:58 PM
We're back to chess boxing again? Excellent.

Wizard_Lizard
2019-04-22, 06:42 AM
no. Just normal chess. NO boxing.

Scarlet Knight
2019-04-22, 09:57 AM
Then I believe you already know the answer: No.

Kyrell1978
2019-04-22, 09:05 PM
We're back to chess boxing again? Excellent.

I prefer the chaos and insanity of mma arm wrestling when I'm looking for a train wreck. :smallbiggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAAJ2GUzWz8

An Enemy Spy
2019-04-22, 09:33 PM
Is it just me or is there no arm wrestling whatsoever going on here? Just two guys with their arms tied together punching each other.

jwhouk
2019-04-23, 12:17 PM
Welp, hockey season's over for me. Not that I actually expected anything; I had the Stars sweeping us. That it went two extra games is surprising.

Bartmanhomer
2019-04-23, 12:26 PM
Is Hot Dog Eating Contest or anything that involved eating and/or drinking considered a sport? :confused:

Kyrell1978
2019-04-23, 05:42 PM
Is it just me or is there no arm wrestling whatsoever going on here? Just two guys with their arms tied together punching each other.

Well...I mean...there's also the attempted table armbar.

jwhouk
2019-04-24, 12:19 PM
Things that are not sports:

Competitive Eating
Chess
Tiddlywinks
Dodgeball
Tetherball
Knitting
Gaming (aka slot machines, computer card machines, etc.)