PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Lvl 20 Cavalier Questions

Gayle_Force
2018-08-17, 11:49 AM
Hello!

I am about to join a campaign starting at lvl 1 and planning on going to lvl 20. I rolled for stats and after racial modifiers they are:

S - 18
D - 14
C - 18
I - 12
W - 16
Ch - 14

I placed them this way to add to perception and insight which I have trained as skills.

I was planning on going sword and board and picked dueling to help increase my damage some.

I was planning on the following feats/ASI's:
(1) Shield Master, (2) Str 20, (3) Con 20, (4) Resilient Wis, (5) Mage Slayer (if lots of magic), (6) Mounted Combatant (if I can regularly use one), (7) Martial Adept, (8) Mobile, (9) Healer, (10) Ritual Caster or Magic Initiate

I know I only get 7 of those, which ones would be best?
Other party members are currently a Cleric, Rogue, Blood Hunter, and Barbarian with one other having yet to decide.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

GlenSmash!
2018-08-17, 11:55 AM
It's impossible to predict what would be best over the course of 20 levels even knowing the other members of your party.

Still your plan for the first few levels is a very good one. If you find yourself fighting on a mount a lot I would definitely Prioritize Mounted combatant. And don't forget to use a lance while Mounted.

Getting Con to 20 doesn't need to be done very early. 18 con is very high already. and since bumping con adds Hitponts for all levels, it works just as later as earlier.

I would skip Martial Adept altogether. It's really best on someone that already has superiority dice.

NiklasWB
2018-08-17, 12:01 PM
First of all, you got extremely good rolls, congratulations.

I would rank them:

1. STR 20
2. Shield Master (although the most recent ruling from Sage Advise may bump it down if your DM is going by it)
3. Resilient WIS
4. CON 20
5. Mage Slayer (if there are many spellcasters, may be a bit higher)
6. Mobile
7. Magic Initiate

Martial Adept is only worth it for a Battlemaster. Healer is flavorful, but you have a Cleric, so not really needed. Mounted Combatant... well, depends entierly on the campaign. My experience is that horses don't mesh at all with dungeon crawling and adventuring in general. Maaaaaybe if you have Find Steed, but that is mostly for paladins.

I would however sugest that you take Sentinel and Tough after nr. 4. Both are more universally useful. Sentinel especially for a Cavalier... that is a defensive nightmare. Tough is just a good way to increase tankiness. With Resilient WIS, 20 CON, you are going to be a nightmare for spellcasters and an extremely potent tank/defender.

PeteNutButter
2018-08-17, 12:03 PM
First point is planning your build to 20 is usually a rather pointless exercise IMO. Things change, characters die, and you may need to MC into cleric when your cleric dies and rerolls something else, etc.

It's still a good idea to have a general idea of the direction of your character though. I really like mounted combatant, so if your DM lets you know you'll be regularly able to be mounted, I'd rush that. Healer feat is lackluster unless you are a thief. Martial adept is just a crappy feat. Ritual caster is DM (loot) dependent so can be great or trash. Magic Initiate has a variety of good uses.

What's the race?

Overall seems like you'll do just fine. The class is immensely strong and you'll be invaluable to your team.

Gayle_Force
2018-08-17, 12:12 PM
1) That is good to know that Healer, Martial Adept are not great and Ritual Caster may be very DM dependent.

2) Race is a homebrew dwarf that gains +1 AC while wearing armor.

3) In other guides, I read that if playing at high level, Sentinel overlaps a lot with the cavalier lvl 10 feature. Is this not the case?

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-08-17, 12:46 PM
It kind of competes with it, point one of sentinel becomes a class feature. And you gain a new use for your reaction.

Level 10 Cavalier without Sentinel: can make an OA if someone leaves your reach, or if they move more 5' while within your reach. however they can disengage.
Level 10 Cavalier with Sentinel: Enemy can't disengage, OA if they leave, move, or attack someone else.

IMO it's not as good on a cavalier but it is still top tier. If your DM allows UA you can pair it with tunnel fighter and be broken.

rbstr
2018-08-17, 01:01 PM
Since Cavalier gets uses of it's abilities with extra strength and con I'd bump those earlier rather than later.

Going by Level:
4 - Strength 20 or Shield Master
6 - Strength 20 or Shield Master
8 - Con 20

Sentinel is good to have if the enemy disengages. It also gives you a use for your reaction when you're out of Warding Maneuver uses or instead of warding someone that already has damage resistance. Note, though, that the attack granted by an enemy hitting an ally is not an op. attack.

Mobile might actually make a good level 12 or 16 feat to combo with Ferocious Charger. Make an attack, run away, run back to knock someone over.

Gayle_Force
2018-08-17, 01:24 PM
So Sentinel does have some overlap with "Hold the Line" but also adds the benefit allowing O.A.s even when disengage occurs. It also gives add to my stickiness until lvl 10. It sounds like the top 5 (unless other factors like mounts or mages are a thing) feats ASIs are Sentinel, STR 20, Resilient WIS, Con 20, Mobile.

Gayle_Force
2018-08-20, 11:43 AM
So I just found out the "Barbarian" is actually going for a ranged fighter. Also, the bloodhunter let me know the player playing the Rogue normally goes ranged. If that is the case, knocking things prone seems less advantageous because it would weaken their damage capabilities.

We have another player who finally joined our campaign discord but has not chosen a class yet and we may be adding a 7th player. If both of those 2 go ranged then it seems to lessen the effectiveness of having multiple ways to prone people.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-08-20, 12:43 PM
So I just found out the "Barbarian" is actually going for a ranged fighter. Also, the bloodhunter let me know the player playing the Rogue normally goes ranged. If that is the case, knocking things prone seems less advantageous because it would weaken their damage capabilities.

We have another player who finally joined our campaign discord but has not chosen a class yet and we may be adding a 7th player. If both of those 2 go ranged then it seems to lessen the effectiveness of having multiple ways to prone people.

This would shoot Sentinel to the top of the list for me. Protect that rear line. I would also talk to the DM about the UA fighting style tunnel fighter. The benefit to this is unlimited opportunity attacks at the cost of your bonus action. Your opportunity attacks stop enemies from moving which prevents them from getting to your back line.

Gayle_Force
2018-09-19, 11:43 AM
So for an update, The first session could have gone better... I am being falsely accused for murdering a fellow cop... But the DM blessed me with a mechanical warhorse similar to the one provided by the "Find Steed" spell. Instead of summoning it, I "assemble" it which takes 10 minutes and can only be done 1 per day...

But anyways, my main question is since I have a warhorse, is it a good idea to get mounted combatant ASAP? I am thinking of holding off til 6 or 8 to confirm how often mounted combat will be a thing.

Also, I think I am going to avoid Sentinel since the only other melee guy is thinking of taking it.

Sigreid
2018-09-19, 06:52 PM
If you are on the horse a lot get mounted combat asap as it let's you protect your horse.

CTurbo
2018-09-20, 04:52 AM
Ritual Caster is GREAT for any fighter as it gives you things to do outside of combat. I recommend every Fighter get Ritual Caster or Magic Initiate at some point.

Martial Adept is a terrible feat IMO, and healer is ok, but I wouldn't consider it for a fighter.

Maxing Str and Con, Res(Wis), Sentinel, and Mounted Combat in any order should be no brainers and will keep you busy for a long time. No point in trying to plan a level 16 feat right now.