PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Is the Adventurer’s Guide Worthwhile?

Palanan
2018-08-17, 02:41 PM
I’m torn about the Adventurer’s Guide, and I’m wondering if it has enough crunch to be useful in a non-Golarion setting.

Apparently it reprints a lot of material from other sources, and it seems to be almost entirely focused on Golarion-specific organizations. Of course I can change the names, but I’m really looking more for character options than detailed descriptions of organizations I probably won’t ever use. (Lookin' at you, Bellflower Network.)

So, is there enough in terms of character options to pull its own weight, or is this mainly a lore-and-background supplement the way Inner Sea Races seems to be?

Cyrocloud
2018-08-17, 03:11 PM
There is some decent crunch, but if you are not into prestige classes it is probably not for you.

Ninjaxenomorph
2018-08-17, 03:34 PM
It does have a list of setting-neutral applications. I enjoy it, because the collected and updated material is nice to have. Plus a lot of new stuff.

Palanan
2018-08-17, 03:37 PM
Okay, thanks. Where was the updated material originally printed? Is this essentially a "best-of" collection from the APs? And what kind of new stuff is there?

Ninjaxenomorph
2018-08-17, 08:00 PM
ALL over. I think everything from Paths of Prestige was reprinted/updated (save some, Winter Witches are not present); for example, Lantern Bearers don't need to be elves, they have several archetypes to fit with the organization, as well as two new weapons (which are really great Elven weapons). Mammoth Riders have their mount list updated, as well as reprinting the Mammoth shaman spirit from Advanced Class Origins. Ioun Stone resonant powers are present (which is great), with a few other new archetypes. There are new styles and a ton of other feats, and new PrCs as well.

I mostly bought it for completion, but I'm always a fan of some of the content in the book (Hellknights in particular, who got a lead-in fighter archetype), while some other stuff is neat (aforementioned ioun stone resonances, which I don't have the original text of, plus the leafblade/thornblade). It is of course up to you, but it has far more crunch than Inner Sea Races (which, I should disclose, I also enjoyed).