PDA

View Full Version : How do I make Patrick Jane from the mentalist?

Aleister VII
2018-08-17, 02:47 PM
I was thinking in a charlatan rogue with expertise in insight and persuasion/deception, very high wisdom, high charisma and okay dexterity to still be useful in combat, race will be variant human with the observant feat and the archetype will be Inquisitive as it's fits quite well what this PC is supposed do.

Proficiencies Will be sleigh of hands as Patrick is very skilled at picking pockets, deception since he's also an expert at deceiving and manipulating people, persuasion for the same reason as deception, perception as he doesn't miss any detail, investigation for obvious reasons even if it won't be used as much as perception, performance because he knows how to get the people's attention and insight to easily read the people.

Observant helps me to sustain my madness giving me another point in wisdom, the +5 bonus to passive perception is very good as I shouldn't miss the smallest detail and being able to read lips is just ridiculously good in combo with my perception and insight.

It will be a very RP and social oriented PC, the idea is troll every npc I meet using my perception and insight to get any useful detail and then exploit them, it also helps me to find hidden villains and such, put on a show in order to make a distraction or something.

That being said he won't be the best when it comes to combat and is also pretty mad for a rogue (DEX, WIS and CHA).

I also considered charlatan bard as it has high CHA and enough skills but it lacks a fitting archetype as inquisitive and Patrick is all about "party tricks" rather than actual magic.

So... what do you think? Is it good enough? Or should I consider another class, races or build?

RSP
2018-08-17, 02:50 PM
I was thinking in a charlatan rogue with expertise in insight and persuasion/deception, very high wisdom, high charisma and okay dexterity to still be useful in combat, race will be variant human with the observant feat and the archetype will be Inquisitive as it's fits quite well what this PC is supposed do.

Proficiencies Will be sleigh of hands as Patrick is very skilled at picking pockets, deception since he's also an expert at deceiving and manipulating people, persuasion for the same reason as deception, perception as he doesn't miss any detail, investigation for obvious reasons even if it won't be used as much as perception, performance because he knows how to get the people's attention and insight to easily read the people.

Observant helps me to sustain my madness giving me another point in wisdom, the +5 bonus to passive perception is very good as I shouldn't miss the smallest detail and being able to read lips is just ridiculously good in combo with my perception and insight.

It will be a very RP and social oriented PC, the idea is troll every npc I meet using my perception and insight to get any useful detail and then exploit them, it also helps me to find hidden villains and such, put on a show in order to make a distraction or something.

That being said he won't be the best when it comes to combat and is also pretty mad for a rogue (DEX, WIS and CHA).

I also considered charlatan bard as it has high CHA and enough skills but it lacks a fitting archetype as inquisitive and Patrick is all about "party tricks" rather than actual magic.

So... what do you think? Is it good enough? Or should I consider another class, races or build?

Rogue with a 3 level dip in Lore Bard, for extra skills/expertise should work.

If I’m accounting for the character correctly, you’d want expertise in Perception, Insight, and Investigation. Maybe Deception as the fourth expertise.