PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian best path

Whit
2018-08-17, 03:37 PM
I was looking at a mountain dwarf barbarian with great axe.
Berserker , totem or zealo
Which ones better.
I’m
Nervous of berserker for exhaustion or is it ok.
Totem seems good with multiple selections
Zealot seems extra damage and advantage on a save

trctelles
2018-08-17, 04:08 PM
Berserker is the worst one. Exhaustion is hard to get rid of on the early levels, and you don't really get much of the archetype. Totem is one of the best tanks in the game (the best SOLO class tanks, IMO) if you go bear totem. Zealot has damage, defensive and utility. Divine fury will always be relevant, and if you choose Radiant damage, it can be really good against undead, and most monsters don't have resistance to radiant damage.
Warrior of the Gods take away the material and components cost of ressurection for the barbarian, so you can charge head on and not fear (too much) about dieing.
The rest of the features for zealot are great too.

If I was choosing, I would go Zealot, because I personally enjoy doing damage, rather than being a tank. Zealot is more flavorful IMO.
You will be a good tank if you go Zealot, but an AMAZING one if you go Totem. And you will be a good damage dealer if you go Totem, but an AMAZING one if you go Zealot (if we're talking barbarians only, keep that in mind)

DarkKnightJin
2018-08-17, 04:18 PM
Exhaustion is pretty debilitating, especially since it's going to be another 6 levels before anybody gets spells to negate that level of Exhaustion.

If your DM is willing to houserule the Frenzy Exhaustion goes away after a Short rest instead, ot might be worth considering.

Beyond that, Totem Barbarian has good picks, and the Bear Totem is stupid tanky.
Zealot gets even more extra damage when they rage, and come 5th level, the Cleric doesn't have to worry about needing to pick you up from death with Revivify thanks to that battle-destined soul.

I'd personally go for Totem or Zealot. But I have no love for the Berzerker, even with their immunity to Charms and such later on.

McSkrag
2018-08-17, 04:18 PM
I think Ancestral Guardians path is a solid front line tank that helps the whole team.

You still get resistance to physical damage - which will be most damage - and at 6th level you also get an AOE crowd control to protect the rest of the party.

Polearm Master + Sentinal work really well with the Ancestral Protectors.

Whit
2018-08-17, 04:32 PM
Yeah I never played one and seen only a bear grapple. I’ll look at zealot and totem closer. And pass berserker.

ProseBeforeHos
2018-08-17, 04:38 PM
Totem with bear at level 3 (very solid all around, scales well as non-physical damage becomes more common at higher levels).

Zealot (XGTE) - very good offensive path, good at damage dealing without the 'zerkers crippling weaknesses.