PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Humorous Spells for my game

Falcon X
2018-08-17, 09:22 PM
Here are a few spells I've put together for our party wizard.
(Yes, several ideas were borrowed from Bride of Portable Hole)

The feedback I am looking for is if they are of the appropriate spell level, but I would welcome any general thoughts on if the spell makes sense as written, if they are overpowered, how they can be broken, or what effects should be changed.
They are meant to be rare spells, so I am okay it they are at the upper threshold of power for their spell level, but not so much so that they should be bumped up to the next one.

Foam Sword
Foam Sword
Chronomancy cantrip
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Range: Touch
Components: V, S, M (A hilt, ring, or other base for the foam)
Duration: 1 minute
A foam sword grows out of a hilt in an instant. You may use an action to make a melee attack, using spellcasting ability instead of strength, against a DC equal to 10 + the target’s dexterity bonus. On a successful melee attack, you snap and twist the strings of time that permeate a creature, sending stunning shivers down their spine. The target creature makes a Charisma saving throw, on a failed save the target is stunned until the start of your next turn.

Timecraft
Timecraft
Chronomancy cantrip
Casting Time: bonus action
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous
You create one of the following effects within range:
- Compressed Oration: With lightning speed, you spurt a string of high-pitched syllables at a creature within range that can hear you. The clipped, percussive sound only lasts a few moments, and sounds like bizarre gibberish to everyone in hearing other than the target. The chosen creature, on the other hand, hears it as an extensive communication, up to 10 minutes of normal speech.
- Hourglass: With a verbal command and a simple gesture, you capture a mental imprint of what you personally saw during the 6 seconds directly preceding the beginning of this spell being cast. For up to 1 minute, you can create an image of the imprint in mid-air or on a surface. You can play the imprinted sight in real time, reverse, and slow motion as repeatedly as you want until the spell ends. It is visible to anyone close enough to see it.
- Time Pocket: You form a hidden pocket of stored time, secreting an object away only to emerge into the timestream later. You touch one nonmagical object no larger than one foot in any dimension. That object is suspended in time for the duration if the spell.
At the end one minute, the object reappears, you may choose to have the object appear in your hands or where it was when you originally cast the spell.
- Awaiting: You are able to hold the use of your turn up until the time of your next initiative pass, even if they allow you to take two turns side by side. This only effects the perception of the caster, and to all others, it appears that he used his turn on his normal initiative pass.

Time Shudder
Time Shudder
1st-level chronomancy
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 120 feet
Components: S, V, M (a pinch of sand from an hourglass)
Duration: Instantaneous
You cause several time lines to converge for a single target, breaking them apart slightly within the timeline. The target makes a Charisma saving throw, taking 2d6 points of temporal damage on a failed save or half as much on a successful one.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the damage increases by 2d6 for each slot level above 1st.

Zombar’s Grog and Beer Nuts
Zombar's Grog and Beer Nuts
2nd Level Conjuration
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S, M (a pitcher and a bowl)
Duration: 1 hour
Made to feel inferior during a long winter as the
clerics created food and water for the king and his
men, Zombar the wizard began his research into
this spell. That summer, the king’s men kicked out
the clerics and their church, proclaiming their devotion
to the “God Of Grog.”
Zombar’s Grog and Beer Nuts creates a number of liters of Grog bowls of beer nuts up to his character level, so long as there are enough containers to hold each serving. This grog is mighty tasty and pretty strong stuff. The beer nuts are salty and sweet, honey-roasted to perfection.
Unfortunately, the nuts go stale and the grog goes flat after one hour, so they must be consumed quickly. Casting purify food and drink turns the grog into thin water and cleans the nuts of their salt and honey. While this allows the food and drink created by this spell to avoid spoiling so quickly, it also eliminates the whole point of creating grog and beer nuts.

Ice Sickle
Ice Sickle
3rd Level Evocation
Range: Self
Components: V, S, M (a shard of ice, glass, or crystal)
This spell creates a kama-shaped formation of jagged, fast-swirling ice shards in your hand. You are granted resistance to cold damage. You are also automatically considered proficient with the ice sickle. The sickle deals cold damage equal to 2d10 plus your spellcasting modifier with a successful hit. You cannot be disarmed of the ice sickle nor can it be sundered. Since the sickle is virtually weightless, your Strength modifier does not apply on damage rolls. If you are able to use multiple attacks in a round, you can make them with the ice sickle. If you choose to hold something other than the ice sickle in your hand or use the hand in some other way, the ice axe vanishes until the hand is empty again.
In addition, this spell grants the ability to coat the surrounding area in a sheet of frost or ice. This ability may only be used once per casting of this spell and drains 1 hit point from the caster per 10 feet of the radius of the area of effect. The upper limit of this is the spell’s level times 20 feet. Creatures caught in the radius of the ice sheet take 1d6 points of cold damage on the round of creation, but no further damage after that. However, they must make a successful Dexterity saving throw when the ice appears or fall prone. A creature that enters or exits the area or ends its turn there must also succeed on a Dexterity saving throw. If this ice-forming power is used near a body of water, an ice floe can be created. The radius of the ice sheet melts at a rate of 10 feet per pound after this spell ends.
At higher levels: If this spell is cast using a level 5 spell slot, the duration increases to 1 hour, the damage increases to 3d10 plus your spellcasting modifier, and can create a maximum of 3 ice sheets. If this spell is cast using a level 7 spell slot, the duration increases to 24 hours, the damage increases to 4d10 plus your spellcasting modifier, and can create a limitless number of ice sheets for the duration.

Wight Privilege
Wight Privilege
5th level transfiguration
Range: Touch
Components: V, S, M (a 3 inch replica human finger bone cast in resin with an eagle feather at its core)
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes
This spell transforms a creature with at least 1 hit point into the form of a Wight. An unwilling creature must make a Wisdom saving throw to avoid the effect. A shapechanger automatically succeeds at this check.
While in the form of a Wight, the creature adds 1d4 to all ability checks, attack rolls, and saving throws, has advantage on Charisma checks, and is treated as if the freedom of movement and sanctuary spells have been cast on them. The sanctuary effect does not end if the target attacks or casts a spell.
The transformation lasts for the duration, or until the target drops to 0 Hit Points or dies. The target’s game statistics, excluding mental ability scores, are replaced by the statistics of the Wight. The target retains its alignment and personality.
The target will assume the hit points of a Wight, rolling 6d8+18 to calculate them. When it reverts to its normal form, the creature returns to the number of hit points it had before it was transformed. If it reverts as a result of dropping to 0 hit points, any excess damage carries over to its normal form. As long as the excess damage doesn’t reduce a creatures normal form to 0 points, it isn’t knocked unconscious.
Any zombies created by the target’s Life Drain ability will rise as normal and under the target’s control, even after regaining their original form.
The creature is not limited to the actions of the Wight, but instead adds the Wight’s Multiattack and Life Drain to their existing options of actions. It may also speak any languages, and have access to all proficiencies it had in its original form.
Any gear worn by or touching the target is melded into the new form. The creature can’t activate, use, weild, or otherwise benefit from any of that equipment. However, the equipment is replaced by studded leather armor, a longsword, and a longbow, all of which can be used. The character does not gain proficiencies in these items if they do not already have them.

Beast Tornado
Beast Tornado
8th-level conjuration
Range: 1000 feet
Components: V, S, M (a piece of straw)
Duration: Concentration, up to 20 minutes
A whirlwind howls down to a point on the ground you specify. The whirlwind is a 10’ wide at the bottom, 30’ wide at the top, and 100’ high cylinder centered on that point. Until the spell ends, you can use your action to move the whirlwind through the air, on the ground, or along the sea up to 30 feet in any direction along the ground. You can spend an action to concentrate on controlling the cyclone’s every movement or specify a simple program. The cyclone always moves during your turn. If the cyclone exceeds the spell’s range, or your concentration is broken, it moves in a random, uncontrolled fashion for the rest of the 20 minutes and then dissipates. (You can’t regain control of the cyclone, even if comes back within range.)
The whirlwind sucks up any Medium or smaller objects that aren’t secured to anything and that aren’t worn or carried by anyone. A Large or smaller creature must succeed on a Strength saving throw or become restrained in the whirlwind until the spell ends. When a creature starts its turn restrained by the whirlwind, the creature is pulled 5 feet higher inside it, unless the creature is at the top. A restrained creature moves with the whirlwind and falls when the spell ends, unless the creature has some means to stay aloft. A restrained creature can use an action to make a Strength or Dexterity check against your spell save DC. If successful, the creature is no longer restrained by the whirlwind and is hurled 3d6 × 10 feet away from it in a random direction.
Also summoned into the whirlwind are fey spirits that take the form of beasts. Choose one on the following options:
• Two Beasts of Challenge rating 5 or lower
• Four Beasts of Challenge rating 4 or lower
• Eight Beasts of Challenge rating 3 or lower
• Sixteen Beasts of Challenge rating 2 or lower
Each beast is also considered fey, and it disappears when it drops to 0 Hit Points or when the spell ends.
The summoned beasts are friendly only to you and act on your initiative. They obey any verbal commands that you issue to them (no action required by you). If you don’t issue any commands to them, they defend themselves from hostile creatures, but otherwise spread themselves throughout the whirlwind. They take no damage from the whirlwind itself.
Lastly, as a bonus action, you may fire one of the beasts out of the whirlwind as a projectile weapon (range 100/1000) using your profiency bonus and spellcasting ability modifyer, but using the damage of a single attack by the beast. The beast takes falling damage equal to 1d6 multiplide by 1d10. If it survives, it is prone and will act on your commands as normal the following round.

Shake Spear
Shake Spear
8th Level Evocation
Components: V, S, M (A small stick, a pinch of dirt, and a lump of clay)
A spear made of earth appears in your hand and is treated as a normal spear. However, if the spear is thrown, it may be thrown at ten times the normal distance. If thrown at an enemy, it must make a Constitution saving throw or take an extra 8d6 points of sonic damage, or half that damage on a successful save. The spear may be picked up and used by any creature for the duration.
In addition, the shake spear may be intentionally be hurled at the ground. In this case, the spear causes the effect of an earthquake spell as if cast by the caster of the Shake Spear spell with the radius of the earthquake originating at the point where the spear lands.

FlameUser64
2018-08-17, 11:40 PM
Foam Sword is a bonus action that stuns. It has two mechanisms to reduce the chance of it hitting (a melee attack roll (which will quickly become irrelevantly easy due to non-scaling target AC) and a Charisma save), but that still seems to me to be a potent effect for a cantrip especially. (Keep in mind I am not a 5e player, but if I ran across a swift action stun in PF you can bet I'd call that out as being OP.)

Timecraft's "hourglass" effect lasts "until the spell ends", but the spell's duration is instantaneous.

Timecraft's "time pocket" effect causes the targeted object to reappear "at the end of the spell's duration", but the spell's duration is instantaneous. Time pocket also says it requires you to touch the targeted object, although the spell's range is 30 ft.

Timecraft's "Awaiting" effect causes temporal headaches I don't even want to think about, and also allows the potential for a lot of burst damage since it allows you to take 2 turns back to back.

Ice Sickle has scaling with caster level (in regards to the ice sheet effect specifically). That seems… odd in 5e from what I know of it. I'm not aware of any 5e spells that scale with caster level aside from cantrips?

Falcon X
2018-08-18, 12:52 AM
Foam Sword: The bonus action is to summon the weapon, but you would still be required to use an action to attack with it. Ill will change it to “You may use an action to make an attack.”
Good catch. Thanks!
Does that make it feel less broken?

Timecraft: Yeah, let me work on the duration and range for this. I obviously was trying to put together several minor spells that weren’t meant to be done that way. I’ll work on the wording.

Awaiting: Headaches aside (a desired effect in chronomancy), how do you think that burst damage could be abused if you are basically just holding your initiative from the previous round?
That is, this is letting you use two rounds at the same time instead of separated.
Any thoughts on scenarios where this wouldn’t end well?

Ice Sickle: Yeah... that is a throwback to 3.5. I’ll see if I can clean that up in case other people want to use it,but it should be fine for my home game.

FlameUser64
2018-08-18, 01:21 AM
1 action stun with two separate "saves" seems entirely reasonable. I suppose the reason I thought the attack was part of the casting is due to the mechanics of Booming Blade and Green-Flame Blade.

As for Awaiting allowing burst, it mostly just makes encounters more volatile in a way that could potentially be problematic for certain enemy design (such as if you have a foe statted more similarly to a player character who uses reactions or healing abilities/items or the like to not die, or a monster whose primary defensive strength is in the form of fast healing). Not certain that actually makes it a problem so much as just a tool in the belt, I guess, but it would be good to keep in mind that your player has that as an option, either so you can make sure you don't design things that can be exploited by it, or so you can deliberately design things to be exploited by it. You know, either or.

Potato_Priest
2018-08-18, 01:00 PM
Ice Sickle
Ice Sickle
3rd Level Evocation
Components: V, S, M (a shard of ice, glass, or crystal)
This spell creates a kama-shaped formation of jagged, fast-swirling ice shards in your hand. You are granted resistance to cold damage. You are also automatically considered proficient with the ice sickle. The sickle deals cold damage equal to 2d10 plus your spellcasting modifier with a successful hit. You cannot be disarmed of the ice sickle nor can it be sundered. Since the sickle is virtually weightless, your Strength modifier does not apply on damage rolls. If you are able to use multiple attacks in a round, you can make them with the ice sickle. If you choose to hold something other than the ice sickle in your hand or use the hand in some other way, the ice axe vanishes until the hand is empty again.
In addition, this spell grants the ability to coat the surrounding area in a sheet of frost or ice. This ability may only be used once per casting of this spell and drains 1 hit point from the caster per 10 feet of the radius of the area of effect. The upper limit of this is the caster’s level times 10 feet. Creatures caught in the radius of the ice sheet take 1d6 points of cold damage on the round of creation, but no further damage after that. However, they must make a successful Dexterity saving throw when the ice appears or fall prone. A creature that enters or exits the area or ends its turn there must also succeed on a Dexterity saving throw. If this ice-forming power is used near a body of water, an ice floe can be created. The radius of the ice sheet melts at a rate of 10 feet per pound after this spell ends.
At higher levels: If this spell is cast using a level 5 spell slot, the duration increases to 1 hour, the damage increases to 3d10 plus your spellcasting modifier, and can create a maximum of 3 ice sheets. If this spell is cast using a level 7 spell slot, the duration increases to 24 hours, the damage increases to 4d10 plus your spellcasting modifier, and can create a limitless number of ice sheets for the duration.

From a realism perspective, I don't think a weightless weapon wouldn't eliminate the need for strength. In fact, it might require more strength to hit effectively and penetrate armor and clothing, since it wouldn't have any momentum to enable powerful strikes. If the damage comes from the cold rather than the actual stabbing though it makes perfect sense for strength to not apply, and this is really just minor pedantry since I agree with your decision from a mechanics perspective.

Falcon X
2018-08-19, 11:36 PM
- Changed Ice Sickle to scale ice sheets by spell slot level rather than cater level.
- Changed Hourglass and Time Pocket to say "for one minute" instead of "for the duration"

I'm really interested to hear what people have to say about Wight Privilege and Beast Tornado. They are the only spells here that I completely made from the ground up and thus have the most room for error, even if I tryied to use similar spells as guidelines.

From a realism perspective, I don't think a weightless weapon wouldn't eliminate the need for strength. In fact, it might require more strength to hit effectively and penetrate armor and clothing, since it wouldn't have any momentum to enable powerful strikes. If the damage comes from the cold rather than the actual stabbing though it makes perfect sense for strength to not apply, and this is really just minor pedantry since I agree with your decision from a mechanics perspective. I think I'll say that the damage is coming more from the ice itself than the slicing. Part of this is because you use your spellcasting modifier for the attack. The other reason is that I am taking this almost verbatim from Bride of Portable Hole, and don't feel like turning from precedence. Lastly, because I'm lazy :)

As for Awaiting allowing burst, it mostly just makes encounters more volatile in a way that could potentially be problematic for certain enemy design (such as if you have a foe statted more similarly to a player character who uses reactions or healing abilities/items or the like to not die, or a monster whose primary defensive strength is in the form of fast healing). Not certain that actually makes it a problem so much as just a tool in the belt, I guess, but it would be good to keep in mind that your player has that as an option, either so you can make sure you don't design things that can be exploited by it, or so you can deliberately design things to be exploited by it. You know, either or.
Good thoughts. I'll probably keep it as-is unless you have an interesting solution. I think the player will like it, and I'm okay if it gets a little screwy with mechanics. It's Chronomancy. Chronomancy has traditionally been OP anyway and I trust this particular player not to abuse it too badly.

FlameUser64
2018-08-20, 12:19 AM
I don't really know enough about 5e's magic balance to say much about Beast Tornado or Wight Privilege, unfortunately, except to say that Wight Privilege's name amuses me.

The main possible concern I have about Wight Privilege is that the zombies stick around after the spell ends, especially since there's no limit on how many HD of zombies you can have under your control. Also it effectively gives you a lot of extra health, idk if that's how other similar 5e spells work though.

Falcon X
2018-08-21, 12:20 AM
I don't really know enough about 5e's magic balance to say much about Beast Tornado or Wight Privilege, unfortunately, except to say that Wight Privilege's name amuses me.

The main possible concern I have about Wight Privilege is that the zombies stick around after the spell ends, especially since there's no limit on how many HD of zombies you can have under your control. Also it effectively gives you a lot of extra health, idk if that's how other similar 5e spells work though.Yeah, most of its abilities have to do with the enemy choosing to attack other people before you, you having more charisma, and a seemingly blessing of the gods over others.

Actually, it is in the Wight monster description that all the raised are zombies (CR 1/4) and can have no more than 12 under control. I might try adding language so that this is unquestionable.
Seeing as a 5th level animate dead can create 5 zombies or maintain 8 zombies, this is only a little bit more and harder to use as you have to kill 12 within the time of the spell and do so in the very specific manner of life drain (5 damage average on successful attack) and enough failed saving throws to die from permanent HP loss.
I say it can be maximized, but has to be worked at. However, Wight people do get privileges for their hard work!